Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:46 am

In the meantime, I turn my allseeing eye :mrgreen: to encounter maps for a while. I think I already found the culprit that causes tile rotation (and other tile transformations) not to be drawn. I injected the code for this only into fallback branch of the draw routines, but not into teh (now) mainly used branch - changing this now... Will also double check for main map (maybe I missed a scenario there, too). Afterwards I will look into 100x100px tiles for enocunter maps.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:32 am

Yeah!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Zeke

Postby TheDragonWaiting » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:56 pm

youngneil1 wrote:That's a very good idea - perhaps you can send me a dropbox link, TheDragonWaiting, via pm, so I can debug using the very battle situation in question here?

I tried to replicate the issue, but had no success so far. The summoned pc will be added to the end of the initaitive list, so maybe issues occur if the caster already was last in line of turn order (should work, but guessing in the dark here).

Well thank you for being willing to test it out! I tried upgrading to version 72 just to see if that made a difference, but sadly it's the same.I've attached a zip here with the module folder and a saves folder containing characters with Summon Bear Ally and Summon Skeleton (or you could simply create a wizard and you should get Summon Skeleton automatically). There's an encounter right at the start to test it out (but bring some companions with you or you might get killed before you can get the spell off!)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/82p8nihrz2op1rz/NWN_redemption.zip?dl=0
TheDragonWaiting

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:32 am

Awesome, many thanks!

I think I found the culprit - try changing the race / racetag of the summons (bear, skeleleton, gm Skeleton, etc)in player editor to something else than human as there is no simple human race in your module anymore. The Player Editor incorrectly assumes so with Default race settign though.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:12 am

And on anohter note (see crash fix above): I really enjoyed the brief glimpse at your module, TheDragonWaiting :) !

The polish and graphical fidelity is really impressive. For example, the animations of the different summon spells looked so good that I had to reassure myself that this was still running on our beloved, little engine here :) . Also, the character tokens and tileset fit excellently (and also play very nicely with the height shadow system you used for the walls). The introductory graphics are very impressive, too. The hit splash/blood effect is amazing... so much good stuff.

Speaking of the height shadows I think of trying to add a simple way to draw height on the encounter screen, too. It will make a square non-walkable simply (and LoS blocking if higher than action plane) but also add correct shadowing automatically. No bridges or ramps here thoguh, so all action takes palce on the same height level, ie action plane (doing true height in combat including the pathfinding would simply kill me).

Also, I would like to have more flexibilty with the rim lights (white lines along edges). On some maps it might look better to not use them, so I will look into making the use of them more flexible.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby TheDragonWaiting » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:54 pm

It works! Changing the summon's race fixed it! Thank you for looking into it.

Re: height I agree that the white edges are a mixed bag, I don't particularly like them in my goblin dungeon but they look fine in Castle Never. I would also like the ability to add the shadows easily to encounter maps; I've experimented with doing it manually, but it's a lot of work compared with simply adjusting the height value in the general maps.

I'm glad you like the graphics; it's always a balance between how long it takes to prepare them versus how they'll look in the end. My hope is that like Bioware's Neverwinter Nights, this project can serve as a framework for others to build their own creations, in addition to people playing the module itself.
TheDragonWaiting

Postby Zeke » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:36 pm

There is something that I can't understand with useable traits.

I'm trying to create a Trip useable trait that makes the target go pro. I have already created the Prone effect. Here are my windows:

Trait editor - https://imgur.com/EL8lQOB
Spell editor - https://imgur.com/WraNJd4
Player editor - https://imgur.com/gF73Dty
In game - https://imgur.com/3iSYEcg (it's the first icon)

However the USE button doesn't appear in combat. The trait can be seen in the sheet of that character, but it's not useable. Looking at the player json I can see that the trait is inserted in knownTraitsTags, but not in knownUsableTraitsTags. I tried putting it there (and also in knownInCombatUsableTraitsTags) by hand, but it didn't work.

Any help?
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:33 am

IB Beta v73 released - no liabilities/no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1undeqv9ryb9 ... 3.zip?dl=0

-added a new property under encounter properties in toolset that allows to set how many pixels in a single image map for an encounter form one square; it defaults to 50, but you can set it eg to 100 to use higher reolution map Images without blurring; works in toolset and in engine; shows chnages directly live in encounter editor, so you can play around with it
- furthernmore fixed potential crash issue when using grid on single image encouter maps ingame
- allowed drawing tiles on top of single image maps in encounters ingame, so you can mix and match here
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:17 am

There is something that I can't understand with useable traits.

I'm trying to create a Trip useable trait that makes the target go pro. I have already created the Prone effect. Here are my windows:

Trait editor - https://imgur.com/EL8lQOB
Spell editor - https://imgur.com/WraNJd4
Player editor - https://imgur.com/gF73Dty
In game - https://imgur.com/3iSYEcg (it's the first icon)

However the USE button doesn't appear in combat. The trait can be seen in the sheet of that character, but it's not useable. Looking at the player json I can see that the trait is inserted in knownTraitsTags, but not in knownUsableTraitsTags. I tried putting it there (and also in knownInCombatUsableTraitsTags) by hand, but it didn't work.

Any help?

I have to double check yet, but from the looks of it you did everything correctly. Hmm, either I did introdue a new bug here or maybe this is related to the order of pc creation and setting up the trait: Did you set up all trait properties (especially useableInSitatuion from trait properties) before creating the pc? I fear if you first create the pc and then modify the useableInSitatuion of a trait, this will not work out correctly. Reason is that the lists with usuability classifcations of traits are written at creation/levle up (or more specifically when adding a trait to a pc the usability info for this trait is set in stone fpr this pc).

When editing the usability lists manually with a text editor maybe try adding the tag of the spell (and not the tag of the trait). This is from the back of my head, without looking it up in the code, but I think these lists internally use the associated spell tag directly (and are msileadingly named by my chaotic self, sigh).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:26 am

Re: height I agree that the white edges are a mixed bag, I don't particularly like them in my goblin dungeon but they look fine in Castle Never. I would also like the ability to add the shadows easily to encounter maps; I've experimented with doing it manually, but it's a lot of work compared with simply adjusting the height value in the general maps.

I think I will have a go for this next. It would just be too cool to have a cohesive map desgin on main map and on encounter map. Due the inconsistent way I have treated various draw routines (toolset vs engine, mainmap vs encounter map) this will not be trivial for me, but I will try. Will know more about how realistic it is to pull this off once I had a deeper look at the different code sections (witha bit of luck lots of copy&paste).

I'm glad you like the graphics; it's always a balance between how long it takes to prepare them versus how they'll look in the end. My hope is that like Bioware's Neverwinter Nights, this project can serve as a framework for others to build their own creations, in addition to people playing the module itself.

This is an amazing approach. A good and polsihed template is direly needed indeed and will make it much easier for new authors. Keep going strong with this one :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions