Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby slowdive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:37 am

I was able to get everything running with Xamarin (well, most everything that is). Here are two screenshots (UWP and Android...still don't have a Mac so no iOS build yet):
UWP from my Win10 laptop in a 768x480 window:
Capture03.PNG
Capture03.PNG (97.56 KiB) Viewed 728 times

Android on my Note3 1920x1080:
Screenshot_2018-01-11-22-31-06-960x540.png
Screenshot_2018-01-11-22-31-06-960x540.png (169.8 KiB) Viewed 728 times

The code adjusts the layout a bit based on the screensize to spread out the UI when space is available. As you can see, the spreading out is a bit too much and needs some adjusting :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:05 am

Look at that beauty :) . Big gratz on this milestone - one code to rule them all, yeah 8-) :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Jan 12, 2018 8:43 pm

Updated the PC (non-UWP xamarin version) version to match the xamarin version. This way I can easily keep the PC (read as Win7) version in sync with the Xamarin (read as Win10, Android, iOS) version. It is just copy and paste the exact same C# code from one to the other (super easy :P ). Plus it is slightly easier to code in the PC version because it has a better, more consistent, "Edit and Continue" feature.

Here is the PC version:
Capture04.PNG
Capture04.PNG (93.08 KiB) Viewed 714 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:58 am

Picked up a Mac Mini (i5 2.6GHz, 8GB, 1TB version) and I am in the process of updating the OS to the latest High Sierra 10.13.2. I then need to install Xcode and Visual Studio w/ Xamarin. I'll need to sign up for the dev program so I can use the TestFlight beta testing service. It'll allow me to post beta versions of the app so others can test it and submit bug reports. Anyone here have any iOS devices with at least iOS 8+ ?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Updated the PC (non-UWP xamarin version) version to match the xamarin version. This way I can easily keep the PC (read as Win7) version in sync with the Xamarin (read as Win10, Android, iOS) version. It is just copy and paste the exact same C# code from one to the other (super easy :P ). Plus it is slightly easier to code in the PC version because it has a better, more consistent, "Edit and Continue" feature

Sounds very convenient (and gives me hope for maintaining IB in two code bases, too, for the time being).

Picked up a Mac Mini (i5 2.6GHz, 8GB, 1TB version) and I am in the process of updating the OS to the latest High Sierra 10.13.2. I then need to install Xcode and Visual Studio w/ Xamarin. I'll need to sign up for the dev program so I can use the TestFlight beta testing service. It'll allow me to post beta versions of the app so others can test it and submit bug reports. Anyone here have any iOS devices with at least iOS 8+ ?

I only have an older iPad right now - but it offers to install iOS 10+, so doing that right now, keep fingers crossed :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:35 pm

It works... So far :lol:
Here are some pics of my setup and showing IBbasic running on the Mac mini in the iOS simulator (all from the same xamarin code base project)
img_0137.jpg
img_0137.jpg (229.45 KiB) Viewed 690 times

img_0143.jpg
img_0143.jpg (181.62 KiB) Viewed 690 times

img_0144.jpg
img_0144.jpg (252.35 KiB) Viewed 690 times

I still need to adjust the left and right UI layout for wide screens. I think I need to place them in the middle of the available space on each side maybe.

So, after two weeks of meddling around with xamarin (maybe a couple of hours a day, so about 20 hours total), we now have IBbasic fulling working with iOS, Android, UWP (win10), and PC (win7, 8, 10). No bad :P Now that I have been through all this once, I suspect that I could do the same with IB and it would take half the amount of time. I still need to figure out a keyboard and mouse wheel solution for xamarin.forms, but after that we should be good to go.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:31 pm

Awesome, awesome pictures, Jer! Blown away here :D !

This looks so stylish hovering there in iOS in all its glory. What a way the IB/IBbasic project has has gone, what a feat you achieved.

Really proud here to be a little part of this. It think it is clearly visible even from an outsider's perspective (was much sooner for our brave IB community) that this will reach many people over the coming years, authors and players alike, be they on a journey, commuting to work or at home, on small touchscreens or large stationary screens, on on all the world's main operating systems...

Again, awesome to hear that you aim at porting IB to this, too. Note: When you find added code by me that makes porting too difficult, hasslesome, etc. -> cut it out. I will redo what is possibe later on, likely better than beforehand.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:59 pm

Thanks Karl, it went a lot smoother than I was expecting with the transition to Xamarin. It is soooo cool to see IBbasic working on iOS (even though it is just the simulator for now until I pay the $99 USD dev fee to Apple :evil: ).

I made a few UI tweaks to the left and right panels (they are automatically calculated to use half of the space available left and right of the map area)...still seems like there is so much unused space...hmmm, what to do...I think I may make the UI look like the iPhone 6 image below by only allowing the left and right panels to move away from the map by a certain amount (cap them).
IMG_0151b.JPG
IMG_0151b.JPG (181.6 KiB) Viewed 674 times

And here is the iPad (5th Gen) simulator. Looks like I need to use the width pixels as the guide so there is padding on the top and bottom instead on the sides as typical.
IMG_0152.JPG
IMG_0152.JPG (322.91 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Here is the iPhone 6 (not plus) simulator:
IMG_0153.JPG
IMG_0153.JPG (326.26 KiB) Viewed 673 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 6:58 am

That interface stuff looks really tricky, so many different form factors to target. Clinging relatively close to the central map display will look the most natural I think. The last screen looks perfectly fitting for those dimensions already.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Jan 18, 2018 3:36 am

The past couple of days I have spent working on the common input dialogs for text, integers, and listview. These are used in the in-app toolset to set/edit properties. I think I have it figured out now and I am starting to implement them in all the toolset places. Once they are in place I will be back to where I was before exploring the Xamarin world :lol: ...then off to the future we go.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions