Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:31 pm

Not certain - as first please try setting AreaMusicDelay of the area (not the encounter, this is apparently not used right now anyway) to larger than 0, eg 1.

I guess this roots deeper though...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:39 pm

Got it, one of my "crash fixes" (in RandInt method) causes this. Will be fixed next beta. Setting AreaMusicDelay to 1 will help, too, though for now (or so I think).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:54 pm

I think I found another trigger issue, this time dealing with transitions. It might be related to the encounter bug we talked about on page 87.

I have a transition that is locked behind a conversation. The trigger is set up with the conversation in Event 1, and the transition in Event 2. The conversation is used to control the transition through "ga_enableTriggerEvent" script. Eventually the conversation in event 1 gets switched to false, disabling it, while the transition is left true, so the player can move to the other area without any further message.

This method works in version89, but in version96, the transition from this trigger no longer works. I think whatever the issue was that prevented encounters from happening when placed on event 2, also affects transitions.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:49 pm

Another good catch, thank you. Culprit was a misplaced bracket in doTrigger method that prevented recursive calls of doUpadte while increasing trigger index. I must yet test this to be sure (once I have my curräent internal build up & running again; mostly I have to do the toolset side of factions for this).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:17 am

Ah! Was just coming here to post about a similar issue involving some broken Trigger events I discovered, but Dorateen beat me to it.

Enjoying the new build so far. I'm using the party average skill check for Charisma-based conversation options now. (All characters automatically learn a trait called "Rapport," which uses the party average Charisma to determine success.)
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:09 am

Great to hear that you already make good use of the extended functionalities for skill checks.

I did quite a lot of trigger testing here and I am optimistic (though not certain, it's full of different combinations to test actually) that it should be stable again next beta.

Furthermore, I have finished the first iteration of the faction editor for the toolset by now. Actually I am coding the journal front end for factions. If enabled, there will be a special quest called "Factions" in the journal which has a quest entry for each faction (authors can also opt to hide certain factions from the journal while showing others). The quest entry for a faction will contain a free text field and also lots of options for displaying faction strength (and corresponding rank) as well as faction growth rate and other info.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:32 am

Good progress with the faction quest in the journal. Just a bit more polish on formatting the automated entries, then it should be ready to go. While at it I also extended the onscreen space available for each quest entry in the journal.

Before next beta I still have to add all the new respawn & faction related properties of props, creatures and module to the toolset (will be faster than the factions themselves as I can use the existing editors). I will also add buffs for creatures when party fights them in dakrness or during night (on an unlit square, got a script chekcing this experimentally for lit state set up already). This turns time of day (and torch use/ steppign into lit areas) into a gameplay relevant element. Skill/trait check might also become more difficult on unlit squares during the night or in utter darkness. Also need to add time of day checking scritps (See above already) to easily set up creatures (props) that only come out at night. Log in battle will need notifications at start of battle for faction buffs as well as nigth/darkness buffs being applied.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 7:33 am

Faction quest in journal is polished enough (for now). All the new respawn & faction related properties of props and creatures are now available in the toolset as well. This also includes special hooks for GcChecks used to control whether a prop is shown and active right now (shortcut compared to manually using an ibscript on the hearbeat script hook).

I must do some ingame bug hunting and basic set up testing for the new systems now.

Afterwards (as mentioned):

1. I will also add buffs for creatures when party fights them in dakrness or during night (on an unlit square, got a script checking this experimentally for lit state set up already). This turns time of day (and torch use/ steppign into lit areas) into a gameplay relevant element. Skill/trait check might also become more difficult on unlit squares during the night or in utter darkness.

2. Also need to add time of day checking scritps (see above already) to easily set up creatures (props) that only come out at night.

3. Log in battle will need notifications at start of battle for faction buffs as well as night/darkness buffs being applied. Note: Migth try to use actualyl debuffs on palyer characters for nigth time (this would allow traits/racial abilities that negate those).

And then it's next beta release, finally :roll: :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:22 am

Not totally surprising (considering the scope and depth of upcoming changes), bug hunting is a rather arduos and diffcult task with this one. Still having trouble with getting saves work correctly, but on a positive note I finally debugged the basic respawn mechanism itself (which is the foundation of all the other new systems). Been slaying a poor wandering prop with encounter attached several times in a row now, only to watch him rise again an hour later. Fun stuff and will go a long way in keeping the open gameworld alive while the player traverses through the ever same regions back and forth :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 5:00 pm

Savegame bug fixed. Onwards :) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions