What I currently code in toolset and engine

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: What I currently code in toolset and engine

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 11:27 am

RL is busier here than expected this weekend, so things might take a bit longer than anticipated. Oh well, it is no race and delay is a few days at worst.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:50 pm

Also, light sources still burn down in always lit areas (those that do not use the light System at all). That is not intended and shall be fixed, too.

Fixed.

Ah, and I still have to take a look at the web spell...

Fixed (or so I hope :? ...). Was actually relevant for other hold effects affecting creatures, too. Needed an additional ef.StatusType = "Held"; on spell script level.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:08 am

Had another polish pass on engine and toolset... and, well,... done :D !

From my side it's green light for publishing next beta of IB2, v21 :D !

Ideally the conversion instructions/guide here would be contained or linked to:

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=474
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:24 am

Great work! And thanks for fixing those pesky spells. :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:05 am

A pleasure - glad to have it completed (well, there's so much more to do and also I expect there will also be quite a few new bugs popping once you guys start using the new stuff).

I will look into the old guide for setting up movers and adjust it to the new version. Also I will make it more comprehensive, so the barrier to entry for e.g. using time driven movers gets lower.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:58 pm

I'll make pulls of the latest commits and then package v21...will be after I get home from work...and after kids go down :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:22 pm

Great to hear, no need to hurry :)... the day betaV21 is released, is the day the work for betaV22 continues to roll out anyway :lol:

I reworked the guide for setting up movers, too, a bit and it should be up to date again now (time driven movers on neighbouring maps will need some more looking into, but that's a very special case anyhow):
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=473

Might be helpful to have links to both documents (1. IB2Betav21: General guide and module conversion instructions and 2. IB2: Guide for setting up moving props) mentioned in download/downlaod description.

Again many thanks for taking care of this :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:11 am

I am working on height levels right now (including bridges and ramps). This a major effort (the AI side alone) and I expect it to take several weeks, interrupted by a long holiday, this might very well turn into two months. That being said, I am quite excited about this work as it will have an immense effect on level design - much more complex mazes, mountains, caves and cities will be possible in the end, or so I hope :) .

WoW:Legion sidetracked me past weekend though, hehe ;) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:16 am

First time I have all new AI code for pathfinding in a world with height levels set up, yeah :D !

Now, it does not crash so far, which is a good start ;) , but field testing is yet mising as this will need to allow the toolset to assign height levels.

Additional to do points:
- adjust party movement system
- get autoshadow drawing in (on neighbouring maps, too)
- system for half transparency for handling bridges and props on/under bridges
- adjust collision trigger detection for height level, too
- allow triggers on bridge and under bridge
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:49 pm

Mirrored tile and prop properties for height system in toolset now.

I wonder how to best set up height level controls in the toolset now:

1. Toggle Height: when on, a left click on a tile adds a height level and a right click removes a height level

2. Toggle Shadow: when on, a left click on a tile sets isShaowCaster to true, while a right click sets isShadowCaster to false; note: by default higher tiles cast shadows on lower tiles (with two length degrees for height level difference of 1 and 2). Turning this off, allows to create barruirs between tiles that do not consume an extra square for the barrier (like non-walkable does). Drawback is that there is no LoS blocking inplace then. Still, might have its uses, think eg beach and sea. Ports/landing places would have isRamp set to true then. Some authors might wand to draw their own shadows in hand drawn maps (would alliw more soecific details and these would confluct wth autoshadows. Please note though that autoshadows will fall on props, too, which I suppose will help to make them
More immersive.

Graphically, the shadows are ideally directly drawn in toolset (makes artisticdesign while placing decorative props easier). Non-shadow casters might create single lines of new color in non-passable direction(orange?).

3. A button "Tile properties": Like area properties now, it will display properties of a tile in the right hand (bottom of screen) side of screen rider "Properties". The following properties can be assigned to the tile currently selected (last clicked):
Bool isRamp
Bool isNSBridge
Bool isEWBridge
List<String> PartyMovementTagAllowEntry
List<String> PartyMovementTagDenyEntry
String logTextWhenEntryIsNotPossible
String floatyWhenEntryIsNotPossible

4. The existing button showGrid will turn on/off additionally a numerical display of heightLevel on each tile. Note: heightLevels can also be negative as the whole system operates just with relative difference of height levels of neighbouring tiles. I think showGrid will also toggle display of abstract graphics (neon green?) For ramps, nsbridges and ewbridges.

Note: placing copy of whole post to implementig Height Levels thread and continuing work there.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions