IB2 GitHub Workflow Tutorial

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

IB2 GitHub Workflow Tutorial

Postby slowdive » Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:54 pm

How to clone the master repo to your PC:

1) Go to the IB2Engine (or IBToolset) and click on the copy URL button (circled in blue):
Capture002.JPG
Capture002.JPG (83.5 KiB) Viewed 3595 times

2) open VS2013 Community and in the Team Explorer - Connect, click on "clone" then paste the URL and click the clone button that will appear.
Capture001.JPG
Capture001.JPG (37.4 KiB) Viewed 3595 times

3) The clone download begins
Capture003.JPG
Capture003.JPG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 3595 times

4) Once finished, you should see the new clone on your PC
Capture004.JPG
Capture004.JPG (34.24 KiB) Viewed 3595 times

Open this newly created solution and make sure to do a "Build/Build Solution".
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: IB2 GitHub Workflow Tutorial

Postby slowdive » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:40 pm

Pulling and Pushing Commits

Pulling
Note: before making a pull attempt, make sure you have commited any changes you have made on your PC to your local git repo (do not push/sync these current changes with the github repo until after you have done the fetch and pull in the next step (1).
1) before pushing any commits and before each coding session, you should pull any new commits from the GitHub master repo (in "unsynced commits" tab). Click on "fetch" to get a list of all new commits and then click on "pull" to merge them with your local master
Capture009.JPG
Capture009.JPG (30.54 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

Pushing
2) go to "changes" tab, enter a message for the commit then click on "commit" button
WARNING: before clicking on commit, right click on the "IceBlink2.exe" file and select "undo" which will remove it from the commit all together. We don't need to post the .exe to github for any reason so just leave it out of the commits. Also, for IB2Toolset, do not include anything from the "temp01" folder or the "module_backups" folder...just right click those folders and select "undo" or "exclude" so they are not part of the commit. Also, "undo" the "IBBToolset.exe" file if it shows up in the "include" list...don't need that in the commit.
Capture005.JPG
Capture005.JPG (52.14 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

3) click on "sync" to sync your commit (is just local for now) with the GitHub master
Capture006.JPG
Capture006.JPG (49.03 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

4) this takes you to the unsynced commits tab. Click on the "sync" button (if there are pulls that need to be made, they will attempt to be made first)
Capture007.JPG
Capture007.JPG (29.85 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

5) if all goes well, you should get this type of message
Capture008.JPG
Capture008.JPG (30.74 KiB) Viewed 3593 times

COMMON ERROR MESSAGE FIX
I saw this once before, but now it came up again.
Error01.JPG
Error01.JPG (23.04 KiB) Viewed 3550 times

After much research and Google searching, I never did full understand the underlining issue, but I did find a consistent fix:
Click on the BUILD menu item and then select "Clean Solution". This seems to have corrected the messed up .pdb file(s) that cause the error.
Error02.JPG
Error02.JPG (42.85 KiB) Viewed 3550 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:09 pm

Nice, this should work very well.

Not certain how to do this exactly though:

Iirc I could just click on the .sln file and it opens without asking any options?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Jul 11, 2015 10:33 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Nice, this should work very well.

Not certain how to do this exactly though:

Iirc I could just click on the .sln file and it opens without asking any options?

Yes, you can open it by double clicking on the .sln file just fine, but the cloned version on your PC hasn't been compiled before so it is a good idea to compile it for the first time before starting to code. If you don't, intellisense won't work, all nuGet DLLs will not be automatically installed yet, etc. Either way, at some point when you try to run/debug, it will build and install all the NuGet DLLs.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:54 am

Made this change above:
WARNING: before clicking on commit, right click on the "IceBlink2.exe" file and select "undo" which will remove it from the commit all together. We don't need to post the .exe to github for any reason so just leave it out of the commits.

I tried adding *.exe to the gitignore file but that resulted in all kinds of compile errors that I didn't understand. I tried reverting the commit that made the gitignore change, but I actually selected the wrong commit and reverted all of YN1's recent IBScript commit. So I reverted that revert :oops: and then reverted the gitignore commit. I then deleted my "IB2Engine" folder from my ".../Source/Repos" folder and then did the clone steps (first guide in this thread) all over for a new clean version. All good now, ready to start coding :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:11 am

Added this to the PUSH tutorial above:

Also, for IB2Toolset, do not include anything from the "temp01" folder or the "module_backups" folder...just right click those folders and select "undo" or "exclude" so they are not part of the commit. Also, "undo" the "IBBToolset.exe" file if it shows up in the "include" list...don't need that in the commit.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:07 pm

Added this little tid bit that we have learned as we go:

in the fetch/pull section:

"Note: before making a pull attempt, make sure you have commited any changes you have made on your PC to your local git repo (do not push/sync these current changes with the github repo until after you have done the fetch and pull in the next step (1)."
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions