All the gold box glory now on GOG

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

All the gold box glory now on GOG

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:58 pm

youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Re: All the gold box glory now on GOG

Postby Dorateen » Thu Aug 20, 2015 5:45 pm

yeah, I saw this earlier. Great news, but tempting and intriguing at the same time, with the inclusion of FRUA.

Must continue to work on Iceblink project!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:12 pm

Saw that as well from TSI tweet. I have these archives on cd (minus the FRUA) and that is what I used for my recent play through. I had to use dosbox. I wonder if these gog versions have been changed to run on new OS without dosbox. ..maybe a built in emulator of sorts?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Pongo » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:36 pm

Absolutely great news.
Just need them to also add the Dragonlance games (great) and Buck Rogers (which I never played!). :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:13 pm

Dorateen fails Will saving throw...

HearkUA1.JPG
HearkUA1.JPG (107.09 KiB) Viewed 3574 times

HearkUA2.JPG
HearkUA2.JPG (171.52 KiB) Viewed 3574 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:05 pm

Saw these screenshots on rpgcodex. Looks great! Hmm, maybe we need to have an optional 3d view for builders to select for each area :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:18 pm

Once again, I find the experience of working in another toolset to lend me some additional design perspective.

IceBlink, is definitely the easiest to work with and I think has the greatest versatility. I am really looking forward to what IceBlink2 can do.

DungeonCraft, which obviously was built off the FRUA concept, is also friendlier to work with but still has outstanding systems bugs. So its potential has not been fully realized.

And of course Unlimited Adventures is where it all began for me. But the software limitations are immediately apparent. Although what it brings to the table is a genuine AD&D experience, and the finished module would have the look and feel of a Gold Box game. That's pretty rewarding in itself.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:39 am

Mighty fine looking screens there :) !

100% Gold Box feel cannot be argued with :D . There will be a time (a liiiiiitle in the future ;) ) when IB will be able to just optionally emulate that (and add modularily all kind of new features/comfort/ui improvements). Until then... want more nice screenies :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:23 pm

And now Dragonlance, Dark Sun and Ravenloft are now on GOG as well.

I never played the last two, but I loved the Dragonlance RPGs at the time. I had a go at building a party the other day, but I couldn't remember what the difference was between a Qualinesti and a Silvenesti elf (or a hill / mountain dwarf for that matter). When I have time I'll have to hit the rule books for a refresher.... :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:28 pm

Yes, definitely have a go at Dark Sun when you have a chance. I also enjoyed the Dragonlance trilogy very much.

Lore-wise, the differences are that the Qualinesti are more happy green wood elves, while the Silvanesti are High Elves, elder and more serious.

Likewise, Mountain Dwarves are stoic and more traditional, while the hill dwarves mingled more freely with the other races. There might be some bonuses and attribute modifications based on theses subraces, but I'd also have to consult the rule book to be sure.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Next

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions