Siege of Dragonspear

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Siege of Dragonspear

Postby Dorateen » Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:58 pm

Anyone picking up the new expansion for Baldur's Gate developed by Beamdog: Siege of Dragonspear? There might be some relevancy here, as IceBlink was partly inspired by the Infinity Engine games.

I'm probably going to wait until the summer to play this one. Give some time for the bugs to be ironed out, plus this is exactly the sort of thing that would distract me from working in IceBlink.

Still, I'm always excited to have a brand new AD&D adventure in this day and age.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Re: Siege of Dragonspear

Postby Pongo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:15 pm

Yeah I picked it up today. I want to support more D&D (especially after Sword Coast Legends). I probably won't play it for a while either though - I'll wait for a few patches and then do an epic playthrough of the entire series I reckon. I always roll a goodie two shoes, so this time I'd going with a lawful evil cleric I think.... Someone power hungry, small minded and slightly cowardly. Should make an interesting change from my usual characters!

I did fire up an old BGII save to check out the new UI people are complaining about. Its not that bad, but I don't think its an improvement particularly... And I didn't like the new spellbook. But, you know, I'm a creature of habit and hard to please etc. I do love the fact that negative armour class is hard wired into the engine so they can't change it though. 2ed rules FTW!

Overall I hope it's a big success and points the way to a standalone Beamdog D&D game in the future.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:10 pm

Yep, gonna pick it up, too. Great to see the already enormous campaign grow further - a whole new playthrough will be an epic endeavor and surely lots of fun :) . Usually I play a thief type or some cookie cutter mage-fighter, likely a chaotic good one or neutral good. Mayhaps a druid next time, so I am usually disappointed with the details of the rules in the end.

That being said, it will be on the big pile of yet waiting games for a while... so much great games and and such a short amount of time available. Must... get... weather.. rolling :D . Oh, and the vertical lurks, too ;) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:25 pm

...what are vertical lurks?
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:06 am

Ah, a vertical lurk is a term for a Lurking Grue hanging from the ceiling, teeth and fangs first :twisted: :lol:

Well, what I tried to express was that the task of bringing vertical aspects into the gameworld, eg via autoshadow around tiles, still lurks there, distracting me from adventure building... given the fun I have with stuff, I might also call it the lure of the vertical :D
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:17 am

Ahh that makes sense!
That grue lurking on the ceiling sounds nasty :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions