Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby Zeke » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:36 am

youngneil1 wrote:Thank you, Zeke :), having a great time here right now.

I will look into adding a 100x100px option for the encounter maps, so you can use resources the same way you are doing it for the main map.

That would be great! Now they are stretched and blurry which makes the background image option not preferable - http://i.imgur.com/HxOuHpJ.jpg :(

(Ooops, I saw just now that my barbarian tokens must be mirrored :D )
Zeke

Postby Dorateen » Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:19 pm

Quick question about itemization.

If I have an item that I want the player to be able to use and cast a spell, say a ring that casts magebolt, is it possible to make it useable while that item is equipped?

I tried this on another item, but when the character was wearing it, was not able to get an option to use the spell. However, it does work if the item is just in the party inventory.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby TheDragonWaiting » Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:13 pm

Hi Neil,

I recently downloaded version 69 because I was eager to try out the summoned creatures, but I seem to have hit a bug. I can summon a creature, but as soon as it appears, I get the following error message:

9/29/2017 4:41:43 PM: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at IceBlink2.ScreenCastSelector.onTouchCastSelector(MouseEventArgs e, EventType eventType, Boolean inCombat)
at IceBlink2.GameView.onMouseEvent(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e, EventType eventType)

Is anyone else having this problem?

On an unrelated note, I have a new bug with drawing encounter maps. I made all the tile edges nice and jagged to make things looks a little more realistic and it looks great (in the editor). When I start the encounter in game, none of the tiles is rotated correctly. This only seems to happen with encounter maps, I haven't noticed any issues with regular maps.

2017-09-29 (2).png
2017-09-29 (2).png (1.09 MiB) Viewed 452 times

2017-09-29 (1).png
2017-09-29 (1).png (2.96 MiB) Viewed 452 times
TheDragonWaiting

Postby Dorateen » Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:05 pm

TheDragonWaiting wrote:Hi Neil,

I recently downloaded version 69 because I was eager to try out the summoned creatures, but I seem to have hit a bug. I can summon a creature, but as soon as it appears, I get the following error message:

9/29/2017 4:41:43 PM: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at IceBlink2.ScreenCastSelector.onTouchCastSelector(MouseEventArgs e, EventType eventType, Boolean inCombat)
at IceBlink2.GameView.onMouseEvent(Object sender, MouseEventArgs e, EventType eventType)

There are two scripts for summoning, one for players casting a summon ally spell, and one for enemies summoning allies. Could this be a source of the issue? I have version 69 and an enemy who summons creatures without any problem. I haven't tested a player character trying to summon creatures, so it could be that is bugged.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby TheDragonWaiting » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:18 pm

Hi Dorateen,

I copied the "Summon Bear Ally" spell pretty closely (changing only the summoned creature .json file), so I think it's more likely to be something with the summoned creature's file than something with the spell script, but I don't know what to make of the error message.
TheDragonWaiting

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:02 pm

Hey guys,

still a bit behind my usual schedule, sorry :( .

@Dorateen: Ah, equipped items should be usable indeed. Not certain if I can pull it off, but it would perfectly make sense.

@TheDragonWaiting: I will look into the summoning spells as well as drawing encounter maps (tile rotation specifically).

You cannot see it so far, but I did some work behind the scenes despite the RL diversions going on. I am quite close to finishing another milestone for improved caster A.I. This encompases:
- a caster will always test all of his spells now (in randomized order); was limited to 10 random tries beforehand
- in addition to a spell points check, range and line of sight are directly cheked at spell selection stage now; this result in less cancelled casts
- "individualized cast chance per spell" system is in on engine level (to do: toolset)
- "friendly spells": heal and buff spells will work better (heal spells only selected when wounded target ally is in range and in LoS; buffs choose simply closest target in range and in LoS) (to do: add adjustable minimum threshold of woundedness before a target shall be healed)
- creatures have maxSP, too, now and caster A.I will only cast replenish SP spells on creatures below maxSP
- when a caster trigges his cast chance and then finds no spell, he will use basicAttacker A.I. (including the improved code for approaching an offrange target); if you want a caster to stay far from trouble best give him a long range normal attack so he wont actively get closer than this range (yeah, lame, not really a keep disctance code, but a beginning :lol: )
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:44 pm

youngneil1 wrote:
@Dorateen: Ah, equipped items should be usable indeed. Not certain if I can pull it off, but it would perfectly make sense.

I wouldn't make this an urgent priority. I can always turn an item into an unequippable object, and the spell function works from the party inventory.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am

IB Beta v71 released - no liabilities/no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/um615jt0fq05v ... 1.zip?dl=0

- lots of work on spell caster AI
- creatures have a separate AI section in toolset now
- you can assign a chance for doing any casting at all on a turn or doing normal attack instead (requires AI being set to GeneralCaster); if the chance for casting is rolled, the AI will randomly go through known spells and tries each of them until it finds a working one (considering sp cost, range and line of sight, also rolling for the spells individual cast chance and respecting heal/restore thresholds, see both below); if no spell is found that works, the creature falls back to normal attack behaviour (which is augmenetd by the approach target code if no target is in range, too); it might be a good idea to give casters a ranged attack with an attack range that is the same as the creature mainly used attack spells -> this way the creature caste rwill nicely bring itself into casting range
- furthermore, you can give each spell known (see IconSprite tab for choosing known spells) a separate chance of being cast; please make sure all chances add up to 100; this way you can control offensive or defensive casters, while still having some variety and surprise
- if you make no entries in the list with cast chance per spell, the old random cast behaviour is applied; this way old creature casters in running campaigns will work just as beforehand without any need for adjustment
- also two percentage based thresholds of target injury/target sp loss have been added, defaulting to 50%; this means that only targets are chosen by creature casters that have lost a higher percentage of their max value than this percentage; the idea is that your healers this way will not waste their heal spells for petty heals, but only use them in dire situations; between all eglibile targets, the one with lowest hp/sp is prefered by caster AI
- all creatures have maxSP, too, now; for existing creatures of running campaigns this is the same as the sp value of the blueprint
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:21 pm

Done with listing changes of newest beta version :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:37 pm

Whoa, whoat! These AI changes sound awesome! Nice work here.

Wil play with them soon. Already have some ideas for interesting enemy compositions!

Are there any plans for the 100x100 image import for encounters? :?
Zeke

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions