Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:03 am

So, I fixed the bug found by Zeke concerning the "more traits/spell choices than actually availabe traits/spells" situation.

Also, I think I found the culprit for using item with spells attched always being a free action. I have to do more testing on this one though.. on it :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:04 pm

On a good way here... usesTurnToActivate is respected by items taht are casting spells on use now. Also, remaining charges (quantity) are shown on top of such item's icon.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:05 pm

Looking forward to your progress! I agree, once the charge property is operational, there should be a numeric counter on the item.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:31 am

Still working on improving usable items, some small progress every day.

What already works now (not published yet):

- using an item to cast a spell made with the spell/effect system works great now, including correctly ending turn or respecting the usesTurnToActviate property set to false (ie allowing another action then)
- "charges" (which work via quantity now) are properly consumed on use, a completely depleted item cannot be used anymore
- remaining charges (quantity) are displayed on top of item in inventory
- when charges reach zero, the item is either destroyed or simply remains in inventory (but without charges), depending on item settings
- equipped items can be used, too, now via inventory screen (as all other items); they are always placed first in the inventory screen (in encounter: only for the pc whose current turn it is; on main map: only for the current party leader)

To do:

- make recharge item script
- better sorting and labeling of item properties (in toolset)
- make sure that equipped, but reduced to zero charges items are unequipped and destroyed (if set to do so, otherwise the zero charges item remains existent and also stays equipped), note: this includes removing passive effects that such item had granted
- new item property for items that are only useable when equipped
- new item property that disallows (un-)equipping an item during an encounter (must double check if this is in already)
- remove dialogue that asks for item user (at least in combat: always character whose current turn it is); generally make an option for some items never asking this, even on main map (eg torch)
- add special frame in inventory screen around those items who are equipped by current party leader / pc whose turn it is
- generally show more item info automatically in item description (reading in the properties of the item) (in engine)
- lots of debugging, I guess (:roll: :lol: )
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:12 pm

Very comprehensive. Can't wait to put this into action!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:57 am

Hehe, me too, thank you :) .

Updating the lists a bit (green color indicates a change compared to last time posted). :

- using an item to cast a spell made with the spell/effect system works great now, including correctly ending turn or respecting the usesTurnToActviate property set to false (ie allowing another action then)
- "charges" (which work via quantity now) are properly consumed on use, a completely depleted item cannot be used anymore
- when charges reach zero, the item is either destroyed or simply remains in inventory (but without charges), depending on item settings
- equipped items can be used, too, now via inventory screen (as all other items); they are always placed first in the inventory screen (in encounter: only for the pc whose current turn it is; on main map: only for the current party leader)
- make sure that equipped, but reduced to zero charges items are unequipped and destroyed (if set to do so, otherwise the zero charges item remains existent and also stays equipped), note: this includes removing passive effects that such item had granted
- treat items with ibscripts or premade scripts on use the same way as cast on use items (charges, display of charges, etc.)

To do:

- show charges (quantity) correctly on party screen, too
- disable "drop" for equipped items on inventory screen (gotta unequip first, which might not be possible or cost a turn)
- new item property endTurnOnEquipStateChange (so eg changing weapons might end the characters turn immediately)
- new item property that disallows (un-)equipping an item during an encounter (must double check if this is in already)
- remove dialogue that asks for item user (at least in combat: always character whose current turn it is); generally make an option for some items never asking this, even on main map (eg torch)
- add special frame in inventory screen around those items who are equipped by current party leader / pc whose turn it is
- generally show more item info automatically in item description (reading in the properties of the item) (in engine)

As this gets more complex the longer I work on it, I might to a staggered beta release so you can test out some of the new stuff already (and help me debugging, please :) ).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:28 am

- treat itmes with ibscriupts or premade scriüts on use teh sam,e way as cqts on use items (charges, display of charges, etc.)

To do:

- show charges (quantity) correctly on party screen, too (note to self: double check for item selection screen)
- disable "drop" for equipped items on inventory screen (gotta unequip first, which migth not be possibel or cost a turn)
- new item property endTurnOnEquipStateChange (so changign weapons might end the characters trun immediately)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:39 am

I ran into a nasty item duplication bug that I am trying to debug since few hours now, sigh... after I got this one, It hink I will do the aforementioend staggered/partial reelase. Keep fingers crossed that I bring this elusive one down...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:54 am

IB Beta v79 released - no warranties, no liabilities,use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zghqdhs02utvg ... 9.zip?dl=0

- fixed bug that Zeke mentioned: wrong calcualtion was shown in some instances of succesful saving rolls
- fixed the bug found by Zeke concerning the "more traits/spell choices than actually availabe traits/spells" situation.
- equipped, but reduced to zero charges items are unequipped and destroyed (if set to do so, otherwise the zero charges item remains existent and also stays equipped), note: this includes removing passive effects that such item had granted
- items with ibscriupts or premade scripts on use are treated the same way as cast on use items (charges, display of charges, etc.)
- added special frame in inventory screen around those items who are equipped by current party leader / pc whose turn it is
- showing charges (quantity) correctly on party screen, too

Some important notes on setting up charged items correctly:

1. The Charges property is not used anymore, use Quantity instead to define the number of charges
2. Quantity 1 indicates an item that does not contain any on use charges (spell/script/ibscript), it's the default setting
3. When assiging a spell/script/ib script to one of the on use hooks and setting quantity to higher 1, the item will consume charges on use
4. Please make the Quantity one number higher than the intended number of charges (eg for a five charges item set Quantity to 6, please)
5. Ammunition type itmes will not work correctly as useableitems (please assign no scripts/spells/ibscripts their on use hooks)
6. Plese make sure that useable items are non-stackable (must double check if this is really neccessary, but for starter lets keep to this rule)

This is part 1 of the useable items improvmeents. Road map for upcoming further improvements:

- disable "drop" for equipped items on inventory screen (gotta unequip first, which migth not be possibel or cost a turn)
- new item property endTurnOnEquipStateChange (so changign weapons might end the characters trun immediately)
- draw charges in differnt color than quantity for ammunition or stacked items
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:41 pm

Ohoho, those are some great updates over there! Will test soon! :mrgreen:
Zeke

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions