Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 21, 2018 6:42 am

No problem, often bugs only happen sometimes and cannot be reproduced easily (the most nasty ones). Also, IB has become quite complex in parts which makes it easier to fumble for all of us.

Your set up looks good from first glance. I will set it up exactly the same way and then hunt for the bug. Investigating...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 21, 2018 9:00 am

A hotfix here is to use "Friend" instead of "Self" as target type of the spell. With range zero the spell will still only allow the caster himself as target.

Self should work though, so there is a bug in the code. Also the tooltip for spell target type misses a list of allowed keywords (Self, Friend, Enemy, PointLocation). I will fix all of this for next beta.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Mon May 21, 2018 8:22 pm

Thank you! Yes, it worked.

It would be so cool if there was a way to create Stinking Clouds, Firewalls, Grease or all kind of effect that stay on tiles in some form (circle, square, line).
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 21, 2018 10:13 pm

Jer introduced an use for effect squares property for spells for these kind of spells. I have not looked into it for a long time, more tomorrow.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 22, 2018 6:49 am

All fixes/additional tooltips for spell target type "Self" are in now (toolset and engine, next beta).

Right now I am setting up a "Poison Cloud" spell to test out lasting effects on squares in combat (making use of Jer's already existing code for all of this). After that it's back to terraforming (script for adjusting height levels ingame), gulp :o :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 22, 2018 1:35 pm

Poison Cloud worked fine, so Jer's great work has survived my tinkering around it.

Still, I need to fix a few small quirks (effect symbol drawn on squares outside the combat map, double effect messages for creatures, duration shown for effect on character while it is duration on square, using creates instead of casts). Also, I think a new spell property for creating a square effect that is checked on every step is needed (move and be damaged, roll save each step). Right now effects from squares are only applied if you start a combat round (not a turn) on an affected square. Must think about this.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:36 pm

I might move applyEffectsFromSquares() method from start next round method, to the start of each individual creature's and pc's turn, adressing only the effect on the square that the pc/creature is on on start of turn.

Furthermore, there might be another list for effects that additionally are called on each move onto their square, too.

Still pondering on this...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 23, 2018 6:49 am

ApplyEffectsFromSquares() is now used on the start of each creature's or pc's turn. Works fine as far as I can see. Fixed a bug with poison resistance of creatures along the way.

I also began implementing another spell property that will cause effects placed on squares by such a spell to trigger on each step upon them (think flame wall, burning an actor even when he just moves through it). Works basically, but still has a few bugs (eg end turn immediately once hp fall to 0 or below on such a step or show damage floaty each step).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 23, 2018 5:19 pm

Good progress with above flame wall type (damage per step), now with floaty and so far always ending turn correctly.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:12 pm

Ib Beta v 108 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o92174gtn52o7 ... 8.zip?dl=0

- square affecting spells polished; use spell properties isUsedForCombatSquareEffect and (new) triggeredEachStepToo to set them (this allows spells/on square effects from e.g. flame walls to poison clouds)
- useable traits sisplay their own Image in the use trait screen now (and show their own name in log( (they used the associated spell'snName beforehand)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions