Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:56 am

Ah, thank you for the info. That Acer C Verknupfung is a link to my notebook's main drive. I must have somehow placed it there by accident. It can be deleted safely.

The start for the gaCastSpell script will likely be the doSpellBasedOnScriptOrEffectTag method of CommonCode class. I am looking how to utilize it as an entry point now...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:06 am

First iteration of code for gaCastSpell script is done - now I "just" have to test it :lol: ...

This will run (or that's the plan) from conversation as well as from trigger (outside combat). If it works out, I think it's a mighty tool for all kinds of adventure building tasks (e.g. from healing/blessing/cursing in convo to making poisonous swamp or burning squares on main map, all taking automatically into account resistances, saving throws, immunity/vulenrability tags, etc.). It's basically a gap closer bewteen our fine trigger/conversation systems and our complex spell/effect systems.

The gaSpellScript will work with spell tag, pc identifier ("party" for spells that shall affect each pc, "-1" for leader/current speaker, "0" to "5" to address a pc by order number or pc name to address by name), virtual caster level of the spell and custom text for log when spell is cast.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:08 pm

That sounds really neat, youngneil1. Fireball trap incoming!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:26 am

IB Beta v78 released - no warranties, no liabilities, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z7i50gi5w77hn ... 8.zip?dl=0

- added script for casting spells (gaCastSpell)
- this only works for spells that have their effects listed in the spells effect tags list (so no spells using their own scripts, like eg an old Iteration Fireball; please also use the list with effects and not the optional single effect direct entry)
- the script can be called from convo or even from trigger outside convo
- it is not for use in an encounter
- This is how the gaCastSpell script works:

//gaCastSpell.cs - Cast a spell from conversation node or trigger (outside battle)
//parm1 = tag of the spell
//parm2 = pc target identifier ("party" to target all characters, "-1" for leader/speaker, "0" to "5" to target pc via order number in party list, "name" to target pc (like "Drin"); all without "", of course
//parm3 = caster level with which the spell is cast, like 10
//parm4 = enter the text to appear in the log to anounce the casting of the spell (or triggering of a trap, etc.)

- these settings override the following normal properties of a spell:
- area of effect
- friendly, enemy, point location setting
- entries for cast action in log
- caster level of pc (instead the parm from the script is used)

- the script can be used for all damaging, healing,buffing and debuffing spells (basically anything minus some special spells that will use their own scripts anyway, like eg Dimension Door)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:42 pm

Fixed bug that Zeke mentioned (wrong calcualtion was shown in some instances of succesful saving rolls).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:53 pm

Now looking into another bug that was found by Zeke: correct handling of the situation that more trait learning points are avilable than actually learnable traits.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:26 pm

I'm doing some experimentation with items, and just created a wand. I gave it 5 charges. When the character used the item from the inventory (at this point, characters are still not able to use equipped items) the wand fired the appropriate spell. But the character was still able to act afterward.

In other words, using the item did not end the selected character's turn. I was going to look to see if there is a setting I missed, then I had a thought: Could the 5 charges mean the engine is not treating the item as having been expended? Like a potion is typically one-use, character can use it in battle, and then their turn ends.

I wonder about items that have charges, if it is allowing players to keep taking an action because the item is not used up yet.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:32 pm

I will look into these (1. funtionality: using equipped items and 2. potential bug: using item with charges consuming no action) next. The spell cast on use item action was set to consume an action (maybe double check to exclude this was reason for the free action)?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:46 pm

youngneil1 wrote: The spell cast on use item action was set to consume an action (maybe double check to exclude this was reason for the free action)?

In the spell editor, the property usesTurnToActivate is set to True. So this should consume the player's turn.

On the item's blueprint, I did not see a property specific to consume a turn. Only the option to destroy an item after use. But I don't think we want this for something that has multiple charges and limited re-usability. I'm going to try to change the wand to have just one charge, and see what happens then.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:48 pm

Great feedback, keep your results of testing coming.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions