Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby zach_holbrook » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:36 pm

Wow, a lot of work here! I'm looking forward to seeing these options in action and playing around with them. Being able to quickly switch characters is going to be a game-changer in DT and makes the Tactician trait even more useful (players will be able to quickly and conveniently readjust their party on tactical maps).
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:23 am

So, I had fun with the default usage of the space key in winforms (or that's what I think the reason is :roll: ).

I need the key for the upcoming active search action (see my long winded explanations a few posts ago). Ideally space key would simply not affect any main form buttons (close,resize) and just work like a normal key. But, this turned out to be rather hard to achieve for me. At the end of the day, my brute force solution is to remove the close and resize buttons from top menu (maybe I will use the clog button from bottom panel for closing, later closing will become one option of a submenu there, like "close game" and may be also a button "show game windowed", this is if I can adress the main form from there successfully).

Good news is that space now already causes a long wait of 10 moves, moving the game world forward accordingly in the mean time (did have some trouble with moving encounters interrupting the wait, but I think I am on a good track here, only a non-interrupted wait will trigger the upcoming active search attempt). Furthermore, I think the onscreen control wait button (middle of the control field) will turn into active search, too. I might also add four more buttons to the onscreen move control, for scrolling log and for changing party leader (this is with no keyboard and no mouse support pads and mobile phones in mind).

I might also add an optional sp cost (and requirement) to active search attempts (customizable via toolset, maybe activeSearchTimeInSteps and activeSearchSPCost will both be customizable). This will allow to not overdo the time an active search takes and still make the player invest resources when doing an active search, therewith making the decision to do it in the right place (only) more interesting and more meaningful.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 3:01 pm

Time for a bit of game desgin thought:

Coming back to the little screenshot with trait icons above, I would like to categorize those a bit in a more abstract way (by function):

Use props to palce the "trait related events", short TRE (allows to copy them easily, to have them mobile if wanted and to easily set up an animated, connected graphic).

1. Detection TRE (like e.g. refered to by the triats Mystery, Hidden or Forager from above screenshot)
Active search required/Passive
Use Leader/best/worst/avaergae of party?
Skill roll/static check
Party distance to TRE: on square of TRE/ one square radius around TRE
Notify on failed check? If yes, how: floaty, log, messageBox and/or convo. What information to provide, like just failed or the diffculty number needed?
What happens on succesful check? Info via floaty, log, messageBox and/or convo. Changes to TRE prop (Change graphic, disable, turn off collision, etc.)? Changes to other TRE prop (like activate/deactivate)? Call script?

WIP (will be chaotic while being written, but hooepfully sorted when done)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:22 pm

I like the idea of these trait-related events. Average of group checks for things like searching makes sense to me -- could also possibly work for the other things like stealth and quick movement (maybe you want to leave the dungeon fast because you're running out of rations, so you adjust to quick movement -- the failure means the group springs a trap or has a random encounter).

Also cool is the idea of search being toggled and requiring more time spent while doing it -- far more elegant than what often happens in PnP dungeons, where I've had groups of players superstitiously narrate that they are searching for traps every inch forward.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:43 pm

...far more elegant than what often happens in PnP dungeons, where I've had groups of players superstitiously narrate that they are searching for traps every inch forward.

Hehe, yes, I remember such play sessions, too :D .

Fixed the skill check related bug you mentioned. Also, I am adding exit game buttons to a few screens now that I had to remove the top little exit button of the frame window. Furthermore, I finally I found a stable fix for moving encounters and the active search action (they interrupt and trigger battle as they should now). Ah, work on hotkeys for encounter screen is done (wasd vs. arrow keys toggles between move or camera control via these key groups). Space key skips a turn in battle now.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:35 pm

Awesome! Looking forward to this.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:08 am

So, I had planned this for a bit later, but I am too close (and it is too much fun :)) to implement a first version of the active search:

This first iteration will interact with triggers only (and their event system) and it is active search only. Props as carriers and other mainmap trait related systems (dangerous square, push, break, jump, swim, climb speed, etc.) I will add later (eg for for moving, animated poison gas clouds that the party might pass through unharmed with the right trait).

Authors can define the cost of searching in sp and whether this cost has to be paid by leader only or by all. This is in engine already. Right now active search time is always ten steps worth of time on the current map. Triggers get a new property for the whole trigger like needsActiveSearch. You can walk over such triggers and nothig happens. Only if you press space on top of them (and are not interrupted and can pay the sp cost) they will start to affect the party. As events can be skill checks, the tratit related rolls can be done as first event of such a trigger. I must yet investigate how to make event2 depend on the result of that roll easily (event conditions).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:21 am

Working on the toolset side of the active search right now (the trigger panel will have a new top line checkbox called "Search" to flag triggers that require an active search). SP cost of active search and whether this cost is paid by party leader only (or by all pc) are customizable module properties. Also I synched IB github with my work in progress (IBx later when I am done with this and next ebta is out) - I was bit afraid of losing all this work should my dying laptop finally decide to totally give up.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:32 am

Looking into gcPassSkillCheck right now (again). Will try to add options for highest, lowest, average, AllMustSucceed, OneMustSucceed (in additon to already existing leader and directly selected pc). Lots of finetuning and polishing involved here , too (more later). When done, I will give events an additional checkbox in toolset that reguires that a previoulsy called gcCheck... (like for traits/skills) ended up true. Basically this means getting the gc... functionality to work with events like it works with a convo already (ie event will only happen if the gcCheck of event1 was successful).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Mar 15, 2018 2:52 pm

Will try to add options for highest, lowest, average, AllMustSucceed, OneMustSucceed (in additon to already existing leader and directly selected pc)

Cool stuff. Currently, high Charisma in Dungeon-Town is really only an asset if one person in the group has it. I can imagine a Charisma-based trait that uses an average or AllMustSucceed condition to change that, making it much more valuable (and therefore balancing it better with the other more universally valuable stats).
zach_holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions