Overfall

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Overfall

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 19, 2016 9:30 am

This game here looks very inspiring: Overfall combines tactical turn based battles, with choice driven story encounters and a procedural world setup (explorable by boat only). It's meant to be replayed several times before realistic victory chances emerge, so it's got a lot of roguelike in it, too (like permadeath). The art style is great (minus these huge heads and slightly comical looking characters and creatures). Plus, they have a story builder tool out that allwos users to design the sory pieces and battles and import them into the campaign via steam workshop.

It seems to lacks true free overworld movement or a real land based world at all, has from my first impression a too artifical island pattern look and is likely too randomized to build up a really compelling tale, but nonetheless it provides lots of inspiration to me. Well, that's all from reading about it, yet have to try it later myself ;) ...

Links (to the very interesting game/game writing design document - written by Chris Avellone, who seems to have good contacts with the devs - and steam):
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g6P ... khg5u8at2x
http://store.steampowered.com/app/402310
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Re: Overfall

Postby Pongo » Fri May 20, 2016 5:21 pm

Hey, thanks for the heads up. I've never heard of this one before, but it looks pretty good. The graphics are a little too cute for my tastes, but the strategy and combat bits look awesome. I'll give it a go, reckon I'll have a good time with it. I'm spending my non-building time in DOOM at the minute though!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri May 20, 2016 9:45 pm

Hehe, so much good stuff to play :) . Ah, DOOM, many memories of leaning around in front of my monitor back then, trying to peak around virtual corners with physical moves :lol: Played a bit of Overwatch during betas, was slaughtered all over the first few days, but at the end the reflexes of the good old DOOM days returned and I had a few decent matches, good stuff for an old men's ego :D ....
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Mustawd » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Thanks. Added to my wishlist.
Mustawd

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:25 pm

It's been quite a while since I played it last time, but it's a fine game in any case. Atm my inspiration is Mass Effect: Andromeda, which I truely enjoy despite main stream negative opinion out there.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions