No Man's Sky

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: No Man's Sky

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:00 am

Fighter at lvl 2 again and still living, funny little thingie indeed, this one :D !

Oh oh, just a few more hours and I will enter a new universe :shock: :o :D...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 4:21 pm

A bit sucked up here in No Man's Sky. I think this one gets better the more fantasy and imagination the player brings with him, kicks as a very novel and unique experience for me. I like a lot that much stuff is written via text descriptions and that a deep lore lies behind everything, but it is hard to discover. And all of this behind an ungraspable large universe. The game does deliberately onyl explain the very basic of the game mechanics, so these - like the universe - rely on discovery through the player's actions. A brave step, but also alienating many players. This one gets the more rewarding, the more time you invest. But only if you're willing/able to believe in the mysteries and secrets ahead :) .

Fear not / rejoice not :lol: , knowing me, I will soon return to coding, even good games dont hold me for too long...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:19 am

Wow, this one somehow suck the hours in... feel like a true explorer here and bath in marvelous vistas that my very eye sees for the first time ever in humankind's history. Serene beauty abound.

A gem of a game.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:48 am

This review here resonates with my thougths and feelings very well, a fine read:

http://twinfinite.net/2016/08/no-mans-sky-review/
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:48 am

Imminent danger to my IB development time, sigh - update 1.3 (Atlas rises) right around the corner (and my shiny Atlas Pass v4 as Citizen Scientist should be on its way by now, too :D ). Was never hyped so much for an update :geek: 8-) :o :mrgreen: !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:34 am

I still haven't played No Mans Sky - I liked the look of it but the reviews put me off. Maybe this story content might tempt me to give it a go at some point.

I've been a bit distracted as well recently, following the release (finally) of Grimoire. Its a bit clunky and unbalanced but the dungeons are brilliantly designed and the puzzles are (mostly) fair and quite fun. Its making me reflect on some of my poorer dungeon designs of the past and how to improve things in the future, which can only be a good thing!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:05 pm

Pongo wrote:I've been a bit distracted as well recently, following the release (finally) of Grimoire.

Grimoire, yeah! I'm so excited. Have you updated to the latest patch, Pongo? As I understand it, the most recent versions have been running pretty stable. I'm waiting to get a hold of the manual, and I've got a project I'm in the middle of, but expect to jump in fully in a few weeks. This is the kind of game I see playing well into next year.

On a side note, Hearkenwold gets a lot of inspiration from Wizardry VII. It might not seem like, because the systems are not nearly as complex, but more in terms of interacting with NPCs for information and inventory puzzles. The non-linearity is also something I enjoyed. So I hope to learn a lot from Grimoire, as well.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:39 pm

Yeah I'm 22hrs into the latest patched version on Steam. It's a lot of fun, and seems stable so far - I've had a couple of minor bugs but nothing game-breaking. The main problem is the balancing, which is all over the place - certain classes / spells are totally OP. A bard can pretty much stunlock any creature I've come across so far, including most bosses. The dungeons and exploration are ace though! He has already nerfed the bard a bit and a new mysterious patch appeared this morning, so yeah holding off a few weeks probably isn't a bad idea. Good game though, even in its present state.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:38 pm

Gonna keep an eye on Grimoire then - only saw it from the distance so far, the developmnt tale sounded, aeh, special ;) . But if the end result makes you guys happy, I am bound to take a look for sure.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Prioleau » Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:56 pm

Pongo wrote:Yeah I'm 22hrs into the latest patched version on Steam. It's a lot of fun, and seems stable so far - I've had a couple of minor bugs but nothing game-breaking. The main problem is the balancing, which is all over the place - certain classes / spells are totally OP. A bard can pretty much stunlock any creature I've come across so far, including most bosses. The dungeons and exploration are ace though! He has already nerfed the bard a bit and a new mysterious patch appeared this morning, so yeah holding off a few weeks probably isn't a bad idea. Good game though, even in its present state.

I'm glad to read you find this patch fun. I've been having an itch to go back to the game ever since I heard about the huge content update. Maybe I'll finally do it over the next weekend.
Prioleau

Previous

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions