Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby Dorateen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:32 pm

slowdive wrote: Are there any other 3d view systems that I should research for ideas? Do you have any other suggestions/ideas on how you would like to see the 3d view system work?

I was thinking about this, and I believe the first 3d system I played that utilized NPCs visible on screen and moving around was Might & Magic VI. That would be a good point of reference for populating characters into the 3d view.

Edit: Eye of the Beholder could be a good reference, too. That was real time, and I know monsters wandered around. I forget if there were many NPCs you might find existing in the dungeon before encountering them.

Coming from the earlier titles in the M&M series as well as Gold Box games, Wizardry 7 and the like, I was already accustomed to seeing those empty squares and then characters popping up out of nowhere when you stepped on the right tile. So for me, that's probably what I would stick with, just personal preference. But it will definitely make things easier to have those sprites in the 3d view for players to interact with.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Great, I'll research more on those games (you tube is my friend here). I played some of them a little bit back on my c64, but not much. I plan on having the FoW only reveal the actual square you are standing on which should entice players to explore all of them and help players keep track of which squares they have already been on.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:41 pm

A more obscure/hardcore indie dungeon crawler: Demise Ascension, with graphics that are circa 2000. It had monsters and characters roaming around, both in and out of combat.

Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:49 pm

Looks like they used an actual 3d system with a fixed perspective for area view. Npc is 2d though. I like the furniture and I was thinking about each wall tile having 2 layers. One is the wall set and the second it an overlay that could be furniture, window, door, picture frame on wall, etc.

Dorateen, I noticed some of the wall sets I downloaded have just a door on one frame (not a door on a wall). How are these used in frua? Does frua use layers so that you could place these door alternatives on a wall?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:55 pm

slowdive wrote:
Dorateen, I noticed some of the wall sets I downloaded have just a door on one frame (not a door on a wall). How are these used in frua? Does frua use layers so that you could place these door alternatives on a wall?

If I am recalling correctly, custom wallsets are something that had to be hacked into FRUA. As you saw, some art has only the door, which would be imposed on the wall frame. I've only run vanilla FRUA, so I'm not sure how that works. I don't think there are layers, but rather the alternative wall sets are hacked in such a way that they show up in the editor including the door on the wall.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 3:04 pm

The 3d screens (mock ups) look very impressive :) . More options are always good, especially as authors can mix and match views then as they like. Go for it, tiger :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:32 pm

Back from a quick Disneyland trip with the kiddos. I haven't had a chance to sit at my computer just yet so no props here. Got home last night and back to work this morning so maybe tonight I'll sit down and hey caught up a bit :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:41 am

Hehe, had parents and relatives here all weekend, so I am in catch up process, too :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Fairly productive weekend getting the 3D view set up in the engine. It is mostly drawing correctly with a few hiccups I need to figure out. Next up is to make the additions to the toolset so we can create 3D areas.

Another side project I have been thinking about is to bring the toolset to a non windows form environment so that it could run on android. In theory, this would make for convenient building on the go from a tablet or phone. So the app could have a splash screen with two buttons, Play and Create. Thoughts?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:47 am

Here is a test video of where I am at so far with the new 3D view option for areas:

https://youtu.be/v43FUvbQPtI
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions