Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby Pongo » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:29 pm

slowdive wrote:Another side project I have been thinking about is to bring the toolset to a non windows form environment so that it could run on android. In theory, this would make for convenient building on the go from a tablet or phone. So the app could have a splash screen with two buttons, Play and Create. Thoughts?

That would speed up my own progress massively! I'd definitely be tinkering around with it on the train in the morning...
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:59 pm

slowdive wrote:Here is a test video of where I am at so far with the new 3D view option for areas:

https://youtu.be/v43FUvbQPtI

Oh, this looks outstanding. I recognize it is a work in progress, but already I have to express how much I enjoy window-based first person view. I do think it is the best mode for exploration in these types of computer role-playing games.

It's remarkable how the Gold Box engine supported a first person viewport, as well as overland maps and topdown tactical combat. It truly combined the best of all worlds. If I were to convert Hearkenwold at some point (long term prospect, of course) I would keep the top down view for outside areas, and only make indoor locations 3D exploration.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:42 am

Here is a test video of where I am at so far with the new 3D view option for areas:

https://youtu.be/v43FUvbQPtI

Wow, this is amazing! Looks very fesh and atmospheric, great piece of work in record time :D .

As Dorateen said, combining the different perspectives is very tempting. When looking at it, stuff like e.g. enemy props (enlarge/shrink the token based on distance, maybe even moving NPC) and darkness (visibility range and utter darkness) comes to mind.

What would be a dream, is verticality. Imagine a stacked layer of 2d maps. An author could define floor and ceiling as see through to next (up or down) in stack (in case of floor this means also telporation to next in stack if entering such square, ie fall down). Also an intended transition to next in stack (ladder or stairway) could work here. The perspective in such a system would not only draw the same level walls but also the the walls of higher or lower level in stack if a line of sight is possible. Like a triangle shaped frustrum, so the fuirther a wall is away, the more is potentially shown upward and downward. Ah, likely too much effort as we are nearing full 3d this way. Still, some grid based Ultima Underworld like dungeons are an intruiging thought...

Another side project I have been thinking about is to bring the toolset to a non windows form environment so that it could run on android. In theory, this would make for convenient building on the go from a tablet or phone. So the app could have a splash screen with two buttons, Play and Create. Thoughts?

Yes, please. Build and play on same device, on train -> taht's me developing adventures :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:05 am

I agree -- looking really impressive!
zach_holbrook

Postby slowdive » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:24 pm

I made the first step...progress :D
I created a splash screen with the two buttons of play and create. The play button takes you to the launch a module screen. The create button will then ask to open an existing module or create a new one. Then the fun begins :lol:

I'm doing all the coding in Visual Studio first for the PC version and then I copy the code over to android studio for the android version (that is my normal process as before). Testing code and adjusting screen layout is soooo much easier in VS so I always code there first.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 am

I fixed the glitches where I was drawing too much before of the wall tiles at the edges which was resulting in bleed over. I fixed this by only grabbing the part of the wall tile needed on the edges and then drawing to that smaller rectangle destination. I am trying to draw everything to the same pixel sizes now so that is why the 3d view does not fill the entire area (although the typical FRUA wall set is designed for 88x88 so I'll need to deal with that somehow). Having all art use the same size pixels will look a lot more polished I think. I plan on using some nice pixel art for borders around the 3d view and also have some stuff below the 3d viewport (maybe the minimap, compass, name of area/date/time, etc.)

The whole main map screen will be 384x240 pixels (16x10 24 pixel squares) and then scaled by integers as needed for each device. The 3d view is 176x176 pixels so there will be 64 pixels to deal with above and below the 3d viewport.

Here is the updated look with fixed rendering with proper rectangle clips and no bleeding over:
https://youtu.be/BNvQR4tDaLc
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:31 am

I made the first step...progress :D
I created a splash screen with the two buttons of play and create. The play button takes you to the launch a module screen. The create button will then ask to open an existing module or create a new one. Then the fun begins :lol:

Nice one - now that the door is open, no way back anymore :lol: .

Here is the updated look with fixed rendering with proper rectangle clips and no bleeding over:
https://youtu.be/BNvQR4tDaLc

Looks very crispy and conveys a great sense of depth already. Minimap (or at least the compass) would definetly go a long way in giving the player some orientation (some mazes might not allow the minimap though).

edit: Another idea to use the extra space would be to show a few special text log lines all the time. This way authors could provide details to the player via short descriptions for rooms, walls, special objects, etc. all the the time without breaking the flow of movmeent in a dungeon. A bit like using floaties in the top down view.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:19 am

Simple beginnings of the first editor screen in the toolset after loading a module (on my Android phone)...
Screenshot_2017-10-11-22-08-19-480x270.png
Screenshot_2017-10-11-22-08-19-480x270.png (117.65 KiB) Viewed 186 times

Still very much a work in progress :P but got to start somewhere
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:19 am

Very nice to see the first silhouette of it slowly emerging from the mists of this fresh morning... I can already feel the glory of it :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:57 pm

Took me a bit, but loading and saving a module now works in the IBbasic engine and toolset single app. I still just have the one module editor screen created, but I can open the module and then when I click on the "help" button (temporary function just to test saving) I can save the module file. The save in android was causing all kinds of frustration and confusion, but I think I figured out the issues. Next up is the 2d map editor (then the 3d map editor followed by the encounters editor). I also plan on having the art maker app built in to the toolset so you can draw/make custom tokens, tiles, wallsets, portraits, etc.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions