Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:24 am

Good progress there :) . I am truely digging this integrated approach. Having the art app in it, too, is simply amazing. This lowers the barriers to entry for aspiring authors significantly.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:49 pm

I've spent the last two nights working heavily on a complete revamp of the ibb ui layout system to make it easier to work with going forward and to hopefully make the ui look nicer and more consistent. Should help out with all the toolset work I still need to do :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:12 pm

Eager to see here with waht you will come up with for the new ui look/layout :) .

Yes, porting the whole toolset seems like a herculean task from the sound of it. The idea of a mobile one-stop-shop (toolset, art app, test&play in engine, server connection for uplaoding module) is a mighty one. The tooslet interface will surely be very tricky to get right as even on a large pc screen there is already a heapload of buttons and info panels. Keeping fingers crossed here that you find a way :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Finished the underlining code for the ui work last night. Now it is time to revamp the layouts for the main map and combat screens. Might be nice to allow players to switch between portrait and landscape orientation as well.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:22 am

First iteration of the UI layout revamp project. Trying to keep all images using the same pixel sizes. I am doing this by making everything based on a 384x240 screen that is scaled by integers to the device. So the available screen sizes will be 384x240, 768x480, 1152x720, 1536x960, 1920x1200, etc. This game screen will then be centered on the device and all UI elements will be shifted to the outer edges of the devices screen.

Here is an example on an 800x480 device (so has padding of 16 pixels on left and right with UI elements shifted to edges):
with toggles and portraits set to hidden:
IceBlink 2 10_23_2017 9_12_30 PM.png
IceBlink 2 10_23_2017 9_12_30 PM.png (203.52 KiB) Viewed 136 times

with toggles and portraits set to show:
IceBlink 2 10_23_2017 9_13_28 PM.png
IceBlink 2 10_23_2017 9_13_28 PM.png (212.29 KiB) Viewed 136 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:28 am

Nice to get a first look at it :).

I like that the log is present all the time now as it is a quite central element for providing story related (addititonal) information.

The log is still rather narrow (but long) - I wonder if it could be broadened without losing map squares shown. An idea might be to have ui buttons on the right hand side only, below the log. Imagine 4x7 button size screen space on the right hand side and removing the 1x7 button space on the left hand side (only leave a few pixels of padding as required).

The 4x7 right hand side might look like this (0 = no ui element; L=Log, M=Movecontrol, B=Button):

LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
BBBB
B0M0
BMMM
B0M0

Going extreme you could also do this for a square shaped log:

LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
BBMB
BMMM
BBMB

All of this would result in same screen spaces used, but maybe make reading the log easier (with less line breaks). Drawback is though that all buttons are very clustered, which might look odd or make move controlling/correct button hitting more prone to errors. So, maybe this is a bad idea after all. Food for thought ;) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:34 pm

Part of the issue is trying to maintain a consistent layout between main maps and combat maps. Combat uses eight move arrows. We could try and hide all buttons behind a "menu" button just like toggles hide behind the "settings" button. I like having the buttons shown all the time in combat though so this layout may stay for now. Open to ideas/solutions though so let's keep discussing.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 4:39 pm

Maybe have one semi transparent "menu" button in bottom left of screen and when pressed it shows all the buttons and toggles and portraits. Pressing it again hides then all. Or have the three squares left of the arrows be used for hiding/showing buttons, toggles, and portraits.

LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
LLLL
PMMM
BMMM
TMMM
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:49 pm

I can probably go with a slightly small text size as well. Right now I am using 6x6 pixels per letter for the 384x240 (font is actually 8x8 but scaled as needed). This gets about 4.5 letters per ui button. If I go with 4x4 pixels then I will get about 6 letters on a button. Also I can lessen the space between letters a bit.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:59 am

This is really tricky. Going with a LLLL log and making buttons toggleable will likely hide a part of encounter map. The font is a good size already, making it smaller will make it hard for older/weaker eyes.

The space between two whole words appears a bit too big though, but shrinkening this one will not have much effect I think.

All in all, I think you already had the best design in the first place. :) . Btw, will Use Trait completely vanish? Maybe show the useable traits then in the same screen as the castable spells? So the button would be like Special Action (spell/trait)?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions