Implementing height levels

Any ideas or suggestions for improving the IB2 engine

Re: Implementing height levels

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:57 am

I. EW bridges - No assginement unless
1. if value(x,y)next-1 square is east or west of bridge, value(x,y)next+1 can be assigned to the opposite squre (east or west) IF that square isWalkable && ((isRamp and has +1 height level)|| (has same height level))
2. if value(x,y)next-1 square is north or south of bridge, value(x,y)next+1 can be assigned to the the opposite square (north or south) IF that square isWalkable && ((isRamp and has same height level)|| (has same height level -1))

I. NS bridges - No assignment unless
1. if value(x,y)next-1 square is north or south of bridge, value(x,y)next+1 can be assigned to the the opposite square (north or south) IF that square isWalkable && ((isRamp and has +1 height level)|| (has same height level))
2. if value(x,y)next-1 square is east or west of bridge, value(x,y)next+1 can be assigned to the opposite square (east or west) IF that square isWalkable && ((isRamp and has same height level)|| (has same height level -1))

Defien when bridge squares can enetred. same height or 1 lower; if ramp also 1 higher

Bridges broader than 1 sqaure?

Sahde settings:
w:7,8
A: 20
I: 70
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:13 am

Mirrored tile and prop properties for height system in toolset now.

I wonder how to best set up height level controls in the toolset now:

1. Toggle Height, next to Toggle Walkable: when on, a left click on a tile adds a height level and a right click removes a height level

2. Toggle Shadow, next to toggle LoS: when on, a left click on a tile sets isShaowCaster to true, while a right click sets isShadowCaster to false; note: by default higher tiles cast shadows on lower tiles (with two length degrees for height level difference of 1 and 2). Turning this off, allows to create barruirs between tiles that do not consume an extra square for the barrier (like non-walkable does). Drawback is that there is no LoS blocking inplace then. Still, might have its uses, think eg beach and sea. Ports/landing places would have isRamp set to true then. Some authors might want to draw their own shadows in hand drawn maps (would allow more specific details and these would conflict with autoshadows). Please note though that autoshadows will fall on props, too, which I suppose will help to make them more immersive.

Graphically, the shadows are ideally directly drawn in toolset (makes artisticdesign while placing decorative props easier). Non-shadow casters might create single lines of new color in non-passable direction(orange?).

3. A button "Tile properties", next to Button Area Properties: Like area properties now, it will display properties of a tile in the right hand (bottom of screen) side of screen rider "Properties". The following properties can be assigned to the tile currently selected (last clicked):
Bool isRamp
Bool isNSBridge
Bool isEWBridge
List<String> PartyMovementTagAllowEntry
List<String> PartyMovementTagDenyEntry
String logTextWhenEntryIsNotPossible
String floatyWhenEntryIsNotPossible

4. The existing button showGrid will turn on/off additionally a numerical display of heightLevel on each tile. Note: heightLevels can also be negative as the whole system operates just with relative difference of height levels of neighbouring tiles. I think showGrid will also toggle display of abstract graphics (neon green?) for ramps, nsbridges and ewbridges.

WIP
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:40 pm

Tile properties will require no extra button, just clicking a tile.

Likely only one list with tags for a tile (and a script hook before entering tile to be added). The script than will know what to make of the tile tags (e.g. do fire damage to party for a tile with tag "burning", do skill/trait check for climbing before allowing entry for a tile tagged "steep3".. or both when trying to climb up a vulcano :lol: ). Mayhaps a way to "mass paint" tiles with a freely typed in tag keyword, mmmmhhh... left clik adds that keyword, rigth clik removes it (if existent).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to Engine Ideas and Suggestions