Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:51 pm

I like that the new texture is less blurred than the old one. Makes a good choice imho :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:55 pm

I like the new texture choice as well. It makes the map style (FRUA) more cohesive.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:40 pm

Grateful for the feedback. I finished the four maps of Castle Hearkenwold, including the following cosmetic changes:

1. New tiles for the floors
2. Replaced the stairs with the SSI type graphic (this is like in IBmini)
3. Added the yellow light prop in front of all torches

I will post an in game screenshot as part of the next update.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:02 pm

Eager to see here how it turns out :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Apr 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Sounds great Dorateen, look forward to seeing how it all turns out.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sat May 06, 2017 3:50 pm

May Update

As I detailed in the previous series of posts, I spent last month redesigning areas with the use of the new height mapping system. I also went back to Castle Hearkenwold, and changed the floor tile as well as making other modifications. Here are a couple of screenshots, which include the new light glow that appears in front of torches.

One of the other places I really need to revisit is the first Goblin cave. That area needs a new tile as well, and light for the torches accordingly.

In addition to this, I have continued to work on new maps for Relmfur, adding in encounters, some new locations, and a small woodland town. (A good place to rest and stock up on supplies.)

Now for this month, I have started building the remaining wilderness maps that further lead up to Fortress Relmfur, and will connect to the city of Skardale. The goal here is to just get them designed and loaded into the module with transitions triggers. I will still need to go back to fill with content. I have ideas for other details to populate the existing maps. So the next upload of Hearkenwold should feel fresh from the beginning besides the visual changes.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun May 07, 2017 11:31 am

Nice shots there - the new floor tile fits indeed very well :). I am also eager to see the new elevations and valleys you added to the gameworld.

All the upcoming changes you describe make me indeed want to do a fresh restart once it is out (after I have played The Elderin Stone properly).

The torch light halo add a nice glow - have you tried setting the whole area as dark and then lettign the light come from the torch (the halo pulsates in intensity then and shadows grow and shrink)?

Liek here (ie in area proeprties set useLightSystem: true and useDayNigthCycle: false):

You can to this with a combination of two settings of an area, found under area properties in toolset:
Dark area (useLightSystem: true and useDayNigthCycle: false)
Time of day lit area (useLightSystem: true and useDayNigthCycle: true)
Always fully lit area (useLightSystem: false and useDayNigthCycle: false)

With the ligth extender props you can also increase the range of lights easily (without creating new halo centers). Give me a heads up if you wnat to try this stuff and need more info, please.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun May 07, 2017 2:13 pm

Thanks, youngneil1. I will have to test making an area dark and leaving the torches as a source of light. I've seen those settings in the toolset, but have not touched them yet. I'll let you know how it goes.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sun May 07, 2017 6:27 pm

Looks great Dorateen! The new floor texture is much better.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:21 am

Thanks, youngneil1. I will have to test making an area dark and leaving the torches as a source of light. I've seen those settings in the toolset, but have not touched them yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Awesome, keep the feedback coming :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion