Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:00 pm

A big hooray for languages incoming - I like the concept a lot. Very immersive and very pen&paper style which is always appreciated.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:08 pm

Yes, and just caught a typo (the repeated "the"). Posting screenshots helps! I'll fix that for the next update.

One of the things I like is customizing individuals within a party, even beyond class. Certain skills or abilities, that one character can obtain, which others won't have. The languages will run from covering the basic player races, to more exotic speech like learning the tongue of the Undead and Dragons.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:05 pm

August Update

I have some new screenshots to display, showing what I've worked on the past few weeks. The first is an encounter with an enemy that uses the new summon ally spell. Looking at the combat log, I see that I will have to adjust the resfef of the slimes, to reflect their name appearing properly. I like how the summoner targets a space close to vulnerable party members, making the fight extra tricky.

HearkAug4.jpg
HearkAug4.jpg (424.35 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Here's another look at the language/trait system currently in place. When the party finds and speaks to this trainer, they are presented with a list of languages to learn about. They are given a brief description, then the option to pay to learn it, or not. This time, our wizard picks up knowledge of the ancient tongue called Primus.

HearkAug1.jpg
HearkAug1.jpg (214.8 KiB) Viewed 100 times

HearkAug2.jpg
HearkAug2.jpg (191.07 KiB) Viewed 100 times

Below is a better view of the Skardale Business District. Still have a lot of homes to fill up and other locations in the city.

HearkAug3.jpg
HearkAug3.jpg (373.77 KiB) Viewed 100 times

And finally, a bit of an easter egg from exploring the new outdoor environments:

HearkAug5.jpg
HearkAug5.jpg (222.83 KiB) Viewed 100 times

HearkAug6.jpg
HearkAug6.jpg (490.47 KiB) Viewed 100 times

One thing I still have to do with regard to mechanics, is adjust the saving throw against damage spells. As seen above, with a default value of 10, this 5/6th level party frequently makes its saves resulting in a lucky character taking no damage.

This week, I have already begun an important conversation with the Duke of Relmfur. It is connected to plot-related stuff, but it's pretty neat that in theory a party could meet him without following the main quest and still talk to him about current events. This kind of conversation work is what I will be focusing on for August, along with trying to finish Skardale. Next up will be a dwarven village, and then going back to areas and content I started previously.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Sat Aug 05, 2017 4:36 pm

The description of the turtle is great - very evocative!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:36 pm

Yamm, lots of tasty new information :D ! So much new cool stuff...

Looking at the combat log, I see that I will have to adjust the resfef of the slimes, to reflect their name appearing properly.

Ah, that's my bad ... it should not be the resref, but actually the name in the log.

I like how the summoner targets a space close to vulnerable party members, making the fight extra tricky.

Hehe, he will try to summon close to target. I think - so far - it's just the nearest target picked though,. Later on, AI might indeed choose wounded or easy to hit targets first.

The slimes look nasty, also I like the token of the summoner. So much glory in the old tokens.

Ah, and the giant turtle is awesome. Sents me some godzilla vibes, too :) .

Keep up the excellent work - it is very impressive to see it all grow, month by month relentlessly.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:13 am

Dorateen wrote:Next up will be a dwarven village

Hamhock? Looking great Dorateen and seems like you are progressing steadily and should hopefully make your goal for an end of the year chapter 3 release.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:04 pm

slowdive wrote:
Dorateen wrote:Next up will be a dwarven village

Hamhock? Looking great Dorateen and seems like you are progressing steadily and should hopefully make your goal for an end of the year chapter 3 release.

Yes, that's right. Just the village, though. The mountain dungeon adventure will have to wait for a future update.

And thanks, pongo and youngneil1 for the feedback.

A lot will depend on how much I can get done between October and December. That will be the crucial period of pulling everything together, and finishing up areas that I started a while ago.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Something neat, I just created a new trait called Endurance. It is attached to an effect that permanently raises the character's constitution bonus by +1. Tested it on characters with 0 bonus on the attribute, a negative bonus, and when there was already an added bonus. In the effects utility, I had to set the values to True, for being permanent and stacking with existing values. The Traits and Effects system appears to work perfect.

There will be a skill available for each attribute that can be raised this way, by means of purchasing from a trainer. So the party better start saving lots of money! Here, I gave our paladin the Endurance trait, since he only had a 12. I will put a conditional check on the conversation when selecting to buy this skill, so that a character cannot get it more than once.

On a side note, I also added the two attack trait to be available for paladins starting at level 6. Since they are a subclass of fighters, I figured they should also get this trait, but 2 levels later than a pure fighter.

HearkSkarEnd2.jpg
HearkSkarEnd2.jpg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 56 times

HearkSkarEnd1.jpg
HearkSkarEnd1.jpg (85.02 KiB) Viewed 56 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:53 pm

Nice one - you can bet my party is gonna build a dragon hoard worthy pile of gold now :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion