Combat & Conversation

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Combat & Conversation

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:44 am

-going to town to rest can be a time sink

This is something I ponder about, too. Ideally, imho the player should have a tough choice to make of either retreating to safety of a tavern/town or press on exploring despite a wounded/depleted party. If the drawback of going back to town/tavern is only a boring real time loss spend backtracking, the choice will not be a particularly interesting one to make. The whole resting process will be mostly an element of tedium.

So, what to do to make it more interesting? Some ideas:
1) the ingame cost of resting could be high, so the player will want to save resources. This will become a bit unrealistic though, as food and sleep are rather basic goods. Maybe som fix tax/fee each time the party enters/leaves a town is more realistic?
2) block access to convenient town/tavern return for long adventure sections, which makes every ration used for resting at eg camp fire spots count.
3) make ingame tiem required for back and forth trips (as well as time passing while sleeping) matter. There could be time limits for certain quests, either totaly making a quest fail if not met or reducing rewards. Or maybe a situation where the player has to fear competition by eg other adventurers (again, with a timer in the background and scripted events).
4) resapwn of creatures (but no extra battle xp for fighting them again) might make players think twice before they leave a dungeon. Likely timer based, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:07 pm

Ideally, imho the player should have a tough choice to make of either retreating to safety of a tavern/town or press on exploring despite a wounded/depleted party. If the drawback of going back to town/tavern is only a boring real time loss spend backtracking, the choice will not be a particularly interesting one to make.

My thoughts, too. I like the alternatives you consider. I've often *really* wished RPG designers would consider time limits for games (especially ones that give you urgent quests!), limiting both grinding and resting abuse. XCOM 2 did a good job with this.

In my old mod Harp & Chrysanthemum, I'd dole out bonus XP for players who didn't use autoresting (but I'd still give it to players who ventured back to town); a modification to this might be giving bonus XP to players who finish certain quests without retreating to town/ decreasing XP rewards for quests and battles for players who do go back to town.
zach_holbrook

Postby zach_holbrook » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:48 pm

I just finished my Player's Guide for Dungeon-Town and uploaded it my website. There's a link below! It'll be incorporated in the next version of the game, which should be out in the next couple of days. I've made a lot of tweaks that affect balance, made some major changes to UI, and incorporated Karl's Swift Action/Free Action/Standard Action system.

https://sites.google.com/site/letsgodowntodungeontown/

Here's the table of contents:
1. CHARACTER CREATION
1.a. Name
1.b. Portrait
1.c. Temperament
1.d. Gender
1.e. Class
1.f. Stats
1.g. Traits
1.h. Powers
1.i. Adding and Removing Characters

2. ADVENTURING
2.a. Movement and Time
2.b. Rations
2.c. Conversations
2.d. Encounters
2.e. Equipment
2.f. Leveling Up
2.g. Journal
2.h. Adventure Map Settings
2.i. Saving the Game

3. COMBAT
3.a. Deployment
3.b. Initiative
3.c. Combat Time and Action Types
3.d. Combat Options
3.e. Attack, Power, and Defense Mechanics
3.f. Damage
3.g. Resolution
3.h. Combat Map Settings
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:31 am

Awesome, Zach 8-) ! The Guide is looking wonderful and so polished, very well written and indepth, really amazing. The little graphics added and the formatting grant it such a high quality that I can totally imagine that in another day and age this guide could have been printed out and added as content to a game box, like shipping it with Pool of Radiance or Bard's Tale :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:10 pm

Thanks very much! :) On to the beginner's guide now, which will be far shorter (and on many points just refer the reader to the Player's Guide). I imagine a lot of things in it will change as I tweak balance and make UI adjustments, but at least the bulk of it is finished!
zach_holbrook

Previous

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion