Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 09, 2018 2:54 pm

The torch idea (or generally introducing dynamic elements) appeals a lot to me. I am fully into respawns & factions here right now and this involves a lot of prop exchanging, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Here is a video sample from Hearkenwold with the party facing off against some Hell Hounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_TEEn6vbeI&t=165s

This is an encounter that I first added as part of the module adaptation for FRUA. Now it will appear in the new IceBlink version.

edit: How do you embed youtube videos on this forum?
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:56 am

Poor little doggies, they had no chance. Awesome work on the video. Look forward to seeing more. It is always fun to see how others (including the authors) tackle certain encounters. There is no way to embed YouTube videos on these forums unfortunately.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Thanks, slowdive! For some reason, I thought I had seen some of your videos playing in the body of the post, but I guess I just followed the link. Yes, it is great about the variety of approaches one can take to an encounter. Another choice I could have started with was the ranger using a web spell to entangle the other hounds. Also interesting is how it plays out for characters of different levels. If less competent characters were to get hit more frequently in this battle, the accumulating collateral fire damage could do a number on the party.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Saw your video after returning from a long weekend in Berlin, a very interesting battle. The large creatures really spice up encounters. I especially liked how you made use of the sneak and backstab mechanics, bringing Krondor through the enemy lines. I will have to look into attack animation code for non-standard size critters, looks like some little bug going on there.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:19 pm

youngneil1 wrote: I especially liked how you made use of the sneak and backstab mechanics

I'm glad you noticed that. I wanted to show off the stealth and sneak attack for this video. That's why I deliberately skipped a turn, to wait for the proper direction facing.

I didn't quite catch an animation bug with the large creatures. They look like they still have a second attack frame. Is it the four blue squares highlighting the monster, or just wanting to make it smoother?
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 9:52 am

Making it smoother, it is. I think there is some kind of "blinking" that shouldn't be there. Will have a look later - after next beta - when also dealing with idle creature token animations for combat (props on enounter map, which already have the groundwork layed). Also, move animations for moving props and creatures in combat would be nice, so the gliding becomes a walking finally. Of course, all animations optional (if I manage get them in at all the first place).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:01 pm

Ah, I see. I have noticed the blinking on size 4 creatures. I thought that might have had something to do with how the icons are converted to the 200 x 400 format.

On the module building front, I finished all the Skardale citizen conversations! I'm glad I didn't have to cut any, and now every home can be visited for a response. (Again, some leading to combat encounters, some will be side-quests, and others to add local color.) Just a few more commercial places remain, like a guild that sells magic, a temple, and a couple of single map locations where the party can actually enter the building. Then I will be done with the city.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:15 pm

Big gratz on the Skardale citizen conversations completion! It adds so much life to the city when the player feels that the houses (and citizens) are not just optical fluff, but indeed provide opportunities for lore, ambience, new whole quests, little rewards or danger.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion