Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:08 pm

Great screens and progress info, Dorateen. It is always with great joy that I read of Hearkenwold's development. The gold box style grass texture fits very well.

Also, the height system looks really great in these screens. When it comes to the doors, an idea might to use a bridge (bridge button in toolset) where the doors are. This would allow simulate a hole in the wall. The door could then be painted as layer 2 on top of the bridge.

It might also be worth trying to see how it all looks with the rim highligths off (I must look up where I put the switc for this, on module or area property level).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat May 05, 2018 6:37 pm

youngneil1 wrote:It might also be worth trying to see how it all looks with the rim highligths off (I must look up where I put the switc for this, on module or area property level).

Hey, that's exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. I found the toggle in the module properties. Will set the rim highlights off.

I will see how it looks using the bridge method for doors. One thing I should do regardless, is raise the tile used for a staircase, and then connect to the adjacent square switched to a stair tile. The height mapping system is one of the best things added to IceBlink.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat May 05, 2018 6:40 pm

Like maybe this way:

door.png
door.png (1023.75 KiB) Viewed 179 times

I set the isShadowCaster property of the tile with the door to false (left click tile, properties window). The door tile itself is a bridge (bridge button, you can rotate bridges with another click, raise heigth to 1 on target square first, then place bridge). The door graphic is on layer 2, a bit extended via q,e hot keys and a bit center shifted via w,a,s,d hotkeys in toolset.

Edit: Awesome to hear you enjoy the height system, I have lot of fun with it, too, here :) . While at this, I plan to also have side-view maps (for diving deep, climbing mountain flanks, etc.). Our "heights" will then become walkable floors, protruding towards the player (like floors in a side scrolling game). Hard to explain, I will do screnies once I have such a map up (much later).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon May 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Got it. I like using the bridge method to keep the walls and doors on the same level. There are just a couple of limitations, which is not the fault of the height system, but simply how I designed some maps. For double doors, door tiles that are placed side by side, an EW bridge will only work on one of the doors. I am leaving this one as is, and it is only the castle gates anyway, so it should be different from other doors. The other oddity is that a door tile placed on the top row of the map, the NS bridge will of course also raise the marble border. Not a big deal, on those maps, I just have to raise the height of the entire border to match.

I should add, that having a uniform height for walls and doors, makes it better for concealing secret doors.

I like the look of raised tiles much better with the rim highlight turned off.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 07, 2018 4:30 pm

There are just a couple of limitations, which is not the fault of the height system, but simply how I designed some maps. For double doors, door tiles that are placed side by side, an EW bridge will only work on one of the doors.

Yes, the bridges only span one square. I did this limitation in order to have an easier time with pathfinding of AI mainly (which still has problems with bridges to be honest, they are dificult coming from our 2d path finding system). Also, I think the draw shadow code got a bit easier this way (this code it like a giant jigsaw puzzle where the shadows are assembled of lots of different premade shadow pieces).

I should add, that having a uniform height for walls and doors, makes it better for concealing secret doors.

Indeed - I still have to add the option to remove the two light beams from both sides of a bridge for hidden doors. Generally, I would like to spend more time thinking about interactive parts of the adventure map, including secret doors.

I like the look of raised tiles much better with the rim highlight turned off.

Me, too. The rim shadows were a neat idea on paper, but did not work out optimally.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed May 09, 2018 7:00 pm

Lots of great progress being made with both the IB engine and Hearkenwold. Looking forward to playing through all the new content in the new engine once it is available :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sat May 12, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks, slowdive. I made one more video, this one showing the fireball spell in action against some bugbears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdarhQfYMJY

This is a new location and encounter from the upcoming release. But it is one of the early "new" areas, so it doesn't spoil too much. One of the reasons I've been excited to post a few sample clips is because I'm in the home stretch and getting ready to unleash more Hearkenwold. Finishing up a lot of content now. Next month is looking good.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun May 13, 2018 3:09 am

KaBoom goes the ball of flame and wipes them out...well almost all of them. Liked the sneak attack with the acidic sword applying an acid beetle effect.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun May 13, 2018 11:12 am

The flame is mightier than the sword in this one :D ! Fine video there, very motivating to see.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun May 13, 2018 2:06 pm

slowdive, I'm a big fan of mobility on the combat map, so I enjoy how IceBlink is set up. Moving the wizard around to get into the right spot for the fireball, as well as having the thief sneak around. Acidic Sword is a great weapon, also look forward to more varied itemization in the new release, including a weapon that cast ice storm on a successful hit. Don't get too close!

youngneil1, it is great to show the game in action. One thing that is neat to see: the priestess casts Bless on her fellow bugbears immediately, granting +1 to their attack. It shows in the combat log with their +4, as they are normally creatures with a 3 attack rating. Too bad for them, they just made some pretty low rolls that battle. But little details like this are an indication the systems are working as intended.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion