Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:47 pm

I was reluctant to start a new thread, but for this release, I think it might be appropriate.

Hearkenwold Beta

This is the most current build of the Hearkenwold campaign still in development, using the IceBlink engine Beta version 7.

There are new areas, new enemies and new NPCs to meet. I'm not certain how compatible this will be with saves from previous versions. Players can certainly access the new locations straight from the beginning. However, to get the next mission assignment, the characters will need to have completed the first Knights in Training quest. I've made some changes to encounters along that path (including enemy spellcasters!) so hopefully it's not too much trouble to play through again.

Another important aspect, I am starting to branch out to include encounters that are well above the ability of a starting party. Depending on playstyle, builds, etc. maybe upon gaining a few levels, some of these can be won. If not, I know if might seem frustrating to find content that cannot be beat at this stage. Consider it a challenge, and in the larger scope of design, these are meant to be the "need to come back later" sort of thing.

On that note, there are also parts of maps that are inaccessible. There's still lots of work to do, even to fill in what I have done already. I decided to include these areas in the beta to show the surrounding regions of Hearkenwold.

Download Instructions

Unzip the compressed file. Inside the Hearkenwold Beta folder, there is a folder named Hearkenwold. This folder gets placed inside the modules folder in IceBlink Beta v7.

Start a new game, choose Herakenwold, and start creating characters! This module uses party-chat style conversations. Class, race, stats, and alignment are recognized through possible dialogue options.

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/q4x8xd

Feedback is always appreciated.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Pongo » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:57 pm

Awesome work... downloading now! :) Will leave feedback when I've had a chance to play through it next week.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:30 pm

downloading and will play through a couple of times today as part of my bug searching (getting tired of playing The Exile again and again for bug searching :lol: j/k )
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:32 pm

Feel free to start a "Project" page on the Vault as well and update as needed. I like the new vault layout and functionality.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:38 pm

It seems enemy spell casters are not working. At any rate, the monsters and mages are pushovers again.

In the meantime, here are some general screenshots for the adventure.
Attachments
Heark5.png
Heark5.png (1.93 MiB) Viewed 9386 times
Heark1.png
Heark1.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 9386 times
Heark3.png
Heark3.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 9386 times
Heark2.png
Heark2.png (1.71 MiB) Viewed 9386 times
Heark4.png
Heark4.png (836.61 KiB) Viewed 9386 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:44 pm

Screenshots look awesome! I noticed you are missing the image for one of the buttons (convo one). You can copy mine from The Exile and place it in your hearkenwold/graphics folder. Also, if you want to disable the world map button, just comment out the world map stuff in the dsOnModuleLoad.cs file. Actually, copy that script to your hearkenwold/scripts folder first and then edit it so it will override the one found in the root/data/scripts folder.

Code: Select all
            //sf.AddButtonToLeftPanel("worldMap", 21, 300, 48, 48);

//try
            //{
             //   Button btn = sf.GetLeftPanelButtonByTag("worldMap");
            //    btn.Image = new Bitmap(sf.gm.mainDirectory + "\\modules\\" + sf.gm.module.ModuleFolderName + "\\graphics\\worldMap.png");
            //}
            //catch { }
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Sun Dec 15, 2013 6:55 am

Having a great time playing through Hearkenwold again. I completed the first task and I am into the second task. I won't give any spoilers just yet, will give others a chance to play. I'll just say that you are in for a wonderful treat. Bravo Dorateen, well done!

A couple of things I have noticed:

-you may wish to hide/disable the inter-party convo and world map button. Copy this script into your hearkenwold/scripts folder to do so
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/892 ... uleLoad.cs

-copy over the effects.eft file from The Exile to your Hearkenwold/data folder. Overwrite yours with mine (yours has no effects). This will fix some of the error messages when casting spells that place an effect on objects (like sleep, web, regen, etc.).
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:03 pm

Excellent! Thank you for the ds script. That worked in disabling those buttons. I do want to use a World Map eventually, I'm just not there yet. And the interparty conversations don't work for this type of adventure, no joinable NPCs.

I copied over the effects file, glad to have that sorted out. Thanks!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Looks marvelous, Dorateen :D ! Downloading now... will give feedback once I have Red Carnival & PLW ready for Friday release...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:23 pm

That would be great, youngneil1

I just upgraded to the latest Beta version 8. That fixes spell effects and monsters casting again. If you want to grab this version, and anyone else who wants to have a go, here is the new folder to download:

http://www.sendspace.com/pro/rucc67

Again, this just cleaned up the UI a little and has the correct effects file, while the v8 Beta of the IceBlink engine has the necessary attack scripts that enables caster AI.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Next

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion