Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:03 pm

youngneil1 wrote:
The save number (dc) for the interruption is based on damage taken + 10. As the gargoyle caused in sum 21 points of damage that save roll has a dc of 10+21 =31. I guess it's hard to control the arcane while a gargoyle is eating you alive :mrgreen: :lol: .

Thank you for the explanation. I think that makes sense, and is quite brilliant. The gargoyles are one of the new creatures I added, they are pretty tough. Three attacks and they take half damage from physical attacks.

I will look into the seamless transitions and see if it would fit. I just finished designing the third Skardale map. Now that I am building the city, I am projecting there will be nine maps all together. So I'm a third of the way through. Then it's a matter of filling up with story and content.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:21 pm

I finished creating the maps for the City of Skardale. Here is a sneak preview showing how they fit together, laid out on a 3 x 3 grid. These are the basic images I designed in the tilemaker program, before I uploaded into the toolset to add further details. The maps in game include raised walls along the border of the city, iron-wrought fences that divide the districts, and even a small cemetery. In next month's update, I will show a closer view of one section of the map and go into a little more background.

SkardaleMap.jpg
SkardaleMap.jpg (112.93 KiB) Viewed 427 times

There are dozens of houses throughout the city that now need to be populated, in addition to other buildings and points of interest. I want to make every house have an occupant, some friendly, some not so friendly. Although the more mundane citizens will be just simple one-liners, with a follow up dialogue if the player walks in a second time.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:59 am

Skardale looks migthy fine already, great job, Dorateen. I just love sprawling cities and exploring all the backalleys and dead end streets, also knocking on doors of off way houses and discvovering little secrets :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:01 am

This looks absolutely great. I really like the way your game world fits together, I'm looking forward to exploring Skardale when it is finished!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:14 pm

Thanks, youngneil1 and Pongo

That's the idea, to fill those nooks and crannies with tucked away content. I also want the city to feel impressive. It's certainly larger than Khyn. This ties in with the tension between Skardale and Relmfur, with the City thinking it is strong enough to break away. Obviously, the Duke does not intend to let that happen. And the party is probably going to get caught in the middle.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:59 pm

July Update

Work continues on the city of Skardale. Here is a close up view of one section, from the Business District. Skardale is divided into a number of districts across the sprawling map, with iron-wrought fences serving as lines of designation.

HearkSkar.jpg
HearkSkar.jpg (200.99 KiB) Viewed 379 times

Let me describe a little what's being seen in the screenshot above. First, a notable characteristic of the city is that the streets of Skardale are paved with black granite. When I was searching the FRUA archives for a suitable tile, I found the best option was one with speckles on a dark background. It is from a night sky/space tileset, but works for the effect I wanted to achieve. I think it also brings a mysterious, otherworldly quality to the location.

Regarding the buildings, the brick walls with a rectangular wooden door represent row houses, the homes of Skardale citizens. The brick walls with the rounded doors are various merchant shops. These can range from Taverns, Inns, to Blacksmiths, etc. And the wooden structure in the corner near the cemetery is an old church.

Other unique locations include this one, an abandoned clock tower. There might be some extra content here, if the characters can find away inside.

HearkSkarClock.jpg
HearkSkarClock.jpg (198.35 KiB) Viewed 379 times

To give the city some more flavor, and perhaps help with orientation, the characters will occasionally trigger a pop-up that gives the name of the street they are walking. Skardale's intersecting roads do have titles, some even with a history, and this is the way I wanted to deliver that information to the player.

HearkSkarStreet.jpg
HearkSkarStreet.jpg (159.64 KiB) Viewed 379 times

And here we have a home of someone, that the party has walked in on for no other reason than because it's what all curious adventurers do. Previously, when I mentioned every house would be occupied, I said they would mostly be one-liners. That's maybe not the best way to characterize these events. They are simple, to a degree, and I don't plan on writing drawn out branching dialogues. But the people encountered will provide a variety of details, some might turn out to be more than they seem, others could lead to side quests. Players are naturally encouraged to explore every home, but to do so with caution.

HearkSkarHouse.jpg
HearkSkarHouse.jpg (180.92 KiB) Viewed 379 times

So far, I have over half a dozen houses filled, already including ones that are attached to encounters and a task. The goal this month is to finish the rest of the city, as well as add shops and other buildings. I'm going to upgrade to the newest build of the engine and start playing with the ability to summon creatures. Expect that to be featured in the next combat progress report.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:00 pm

Yamm, tasty update :) ! The naming for the streets and the option to enter many of the homes reminds me in a very fine way of Skara Brae from Bard's Tale. The black granite is indeed otherworldly and makes the place appear very unique and a bit mysterious, too. Also, I like that you use different door types to guide the player a bit in what to expect when trying to enter.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:09 pm

Thanks, youngneil1. I have good news!

I set up a mage in the toolset with the spell to summon allies. I was able to duplicate the default spell for creatures, and change it to the monster I wanted. It worked perfectly. I gave just this one spell to the summoner, with 25 spell points. So it was fun watching him summon allies multiple times. I can see much potential for mixing summons with the rest of a spell caster's arsenal. The player will never know what to expect.

On a side note, regarding interrupts, I must remember to keep our own party's wizard from casting when standing next to enemies. One of the summoned creatures showed up right next to our wizard... that was rough. Very fun battle.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:20 pm

Awesome, very reliefed to hear :) . Yes, the pesky summoners try to conjure the monsters right in front of the feet of player characters, very bad luck that the mage was chosen as target :twisted: :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:54 pm

This week, I have been working on setting up that Language teacher the party can find. I am pleased the way it is shaping up. There will be over a dozen languages that can be learned, for a price. And I will be adding new conditions to check in conversations for special events.

Here, our party's human paladin has just learned Elven.

HearkLinguist1.jpg
HearkLinguist1.jpg (218.86 KiB) Viewed 233 times

HearkLinguist2.jpg
HearkLinguist2.jpg (180.53 KiB) Viewed 233 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion