Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:06 am

That was a wonderful read and an awesome, detailed analysis of the new AI.I. types. I am very glad that you did enjoy them and especially the focusing of different attackers on the very same target puts the player under quite some pressure indeed.

The new A.I. types have some quirks for ranged attackers (they fail to recognize many approriate attack positions) and I try to make this better for ranged attackers here right now. This has proven quite difficult (I entangled myself in hot fixes, meh), but I hope to get it done finally later (after RL is back to a more normal mode).

It is really impressive how steadily and reilably you develop Hearkenwold further, month by month.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:29 pm

Thanks, youngneil1, and thanks again for your work on the AI settings. Even only available to melee creatures, it adds a lot already. If archers eventually are able to single out spell casters, multiple enemy ranged attackers are going to wreck havoc on mages!

As of right now, I am leaning toward assigning the new AI to singular, unique opponents. Although I will keep the soft target hunter profile on those guards. Those really were fun battles.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:02 pm

Here's something neat. In the dwarven village, there stands a statue of the previous Dwarf King, Darwain Hamhock. In order to create this prop for the toolset, I took a fire giant king combat icon and resized it. Then in paint shop pro, I applied a texture effect "sculpture", to give it a stony appearance.

prp_DarwainStatue.png
prp_DarwainStatue.png (10.69 KiB) Viewed 365 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:16 am

Statue looks great. Will be great to visit the Halls of Hammock (or at at least the village I presume).
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Thanks! Yes, I now have the village map loaded into the toolset, and have added the first few NPCs and conversations. This will serve as a prelude to the Halls of Hamhock adventure, which will have to be a separate update of its own. For now, it will be more of an information gathering location. The interesting thing though is that the Village will connect to a couple of hooks in the already existing Hearkenwold Campaign.

I spent the weekend copying all the village conversations from the NWN2 module into a document, making it easy to re-construct in the Iceblink toolset.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:33 pm

October Update

Last month, I spent most of the time finishing up the Dwarven village of Hamhock. There are two primary maps, with the village connecting to the path up the mountain. Of course there are also some submaps, for important buildings the party can enter. Here is a peek at the approach to the stronghold gates, where the road is paved with amethyst stones.

I think I've stated before, the inclusion of the village is more about giving the party a new location to explore. They can gather bits of information, and there will be content relevant to the broader Hearkenwold campaign. Also, they can perhaps pick up some items that are not found anywhere else.

I was excited to get the summon ally feature working for player characters. This requires setting up the ally using the Player Editor in the toolset, then attaching its tag to the appropriate PC summon spell. Summoned creature are limited to normal sized icons, so in the screenshot below, our brown bear doesn't look all that fearsome. Still, I find it amusing to summon a bear in a fight against an owl bear.

On a cosmetic note, I found a great tile on the FRUA archives to finally replace the dark green "scrubber" texture I had been using in some out door locations.

t_GreenGrass.png
t_GreenGrass.png (633 Bytes) Viewed 257 times

Here is the new look applied to the grounds immediately outside Castle Hearkenwold. This map already has new content, for example, you can see the wooden structure that is a carriage house for players to purchase transport to Khyn. There are also new events to discover, so it will hopefully feel fresh for players returning.

For the rest of the month of October, I will be working on building up monsters and adding encounters to all the maps I designed this year. (And previous maps as well!) This is a large part of what remains to finish the new content that will be in the next release of the campaign. I'm still tracking to be finished by the end of the year.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:50 pm

It is always a joy so see Hearkenwold's progress :) . I think it's really telling how much has been done already that you implemented a quick travel coach system by now - the world is really becoming impressive in scale.

I like that you use the height system for mountains and structures - it makes reading the map and navigation options much easier for the player.

Yeah, summoned tokens on player side can only have normals size for now (no code to move a four square large player character or determine what he can attack / from where he can be attacked). Still, the bear infight is a funny idea indeed :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:46 pm

Thanks, youngneil1. I enjoy working with the new height system and the summon spell. Another property I've started to use more is spell effects on a creature when they score a hit. That owlbear triggers the "hold" spell effect when it lands a successful attack, to simulate the owlbear's hug ability.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:46 am

Good idea and very fitting for this critter. There's so much stuff to explore (and pioneer), so in a way building modules for IB (or well IB itself) is a fun adventure in its own right :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:42 pm

November Update

I have upgraded to version 76 of the engine, and I'm happy to report the lightning spell seems to be working correctly. Maybe too well! The screenshot below shows the encounter that had initially been an issue with poor targeting from spellcasters, a battle with thirteen witches who surround the party. Now, with the new build, you can see in the combat log the witches were able to fire off lightning bolts quite accurately, cutting through the ranks of the characters.

A note regarding enemy choice of tactics: Web plus Lightning proves to be quite brutal. I am going to add some new item drops that give partial electricity resistance. This fight is nasty. It's also part of an optional sidequest, and possible to avoid in conversation.

And that pretty much sums up what I've been working on last month. Lots of new creatures have been added to the campaign, with subsequent encounters filling out the maps. In November, I have to asses what is left to finish. Fortress Relmfur still needs work, including a dungeon level. The city of Skardale is large and I must continue adding content. These are my two priorities right now. If I can make good progress here over the next few weeks, then I can spend December putting the final touches in for the next release. It's going to be fairly sizeable.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion