Combat & Conversation

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Combat & Conversation

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:23 am

Good luck for the talk tomorrow :) ! The combat scene was great fun to watch - so many traits and specials in action, makes for a great veriety of tactical options. Also, I like the eery atmosphere and unique art style of the battle (and the whole module) a lot. It's a powerful and beautiful example for the different styles possible with IceBlink - from faithfully recreating the old gold box vibe to exploring totally new art styles and set ups.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:46 pm

Second everything Karl says. Love all the custom art, music, spells, traits, animations, etc. Dialog has been top notch as well with the intro you have shared.

Good luck with the talk today, hope everything goes well. Will it be recorded?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 pm

Thanks guys! I think the talk went well. I wouldn't be surprised if the community got some new members. There's no video recording, but I think there's an audio. I'll post as soon as it's ready. Thanks again for your help, too!
zach_holbrook

Postby zach_holbrook » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:20 pm

Here's the talk in full -- real audio + PowerPoint I used. I didn't include the combat video, as I'd already posted that elsewhere. I had a lot of very quiet questions from the audience, so I've paraphrased them and added them as slides toward the end. Hope you enjoy it!

https://youtu.be/-UREbLbb-7o
zach_holbrook

Postby slowdive » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:41 pm

Awesome Zach! Thanks for posting the audio and slides. I downloaded the video (I have YouTube red for 3 months free and it lets you download videos) and I am watching it now.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:14 pm

It was great fun watching the presentation and listening to you, many thanks for sharing :).

It is really inspiring to hear about your design goals and long term plans with Combat & Conversation. Utilizing the sparseness of the engine to emphasize the dialogue and writing is indeed something that spins around my mind, too. A great degree of freedom unfolds when the world layout has not to follow a strict, correct 3d shape and events happening can happen in text rather than having to be shown in engine. This way the engine wont limit the events that can happen. The more abstract the graphcis are, the less immersion is broken when making use of text and player fantasy (instead of using in engine graphics).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:51 am

You're welcome. I'm glad you enjoyed it. And yes -- I definitely find the toolset liberating! And many thanks, as always, for all your hard work.
zach_holbrook

Postby slowdive » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:44 am

Finished listening to the presentation of Dungeon Town. I Listened to it on my phone at work (in the background with headphones :P ) since it was downloaded. I very much enjoyed hearing your process and plans for Dungeon Town. I took notes as well because the principles you discussed will help me in my own module developments (revisiting and revising Lanterna). It sounds like the audience enjoyed the presentation as well and asked some great questions. As you explained, it will most likely be a niche module (as most IB modules will be), but there are still plenty of us old crpg players around who will "get it" and enjoy playing/exploring the module. There has been a market for interactive stories on phones (Choice Games LLC and Delight Games) so the potential for players enjoying something like Dungeon Town could still be there.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:00 pm

Thanks for listening and for the feedback! I'm glad that anything I said was helpful -- there was definitely some rambling. Putting together the audio with the slides was sometimes painful. But yes, my audience was very pleasant, and I think some of the most interesting parts happened because of the questions they asked. I do think that a lot of them seemed interested in the engine, too.

I've been paying some attention to the interactive story trend (I started playing Sorcery! and thought that was good, though I didn't finish) -- and yeah, a lot of the writing's granularity makes the game straddle that form and the CRPG one.

Thanks again for listening, for all the work you put into IceBlink, and for sending me some info for the talk!
zach_holbrook

Postby zach_holbrook » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:03 pm

Hey all, I've made quite a bit of progress on Let's Go Down to Dungeon-Town. I should have the first level and character advancement up to level 3 taken care of by the end of this month, which means about 4 or 5 hours of gameplay.

I also recently overhauled ALL the character art in the game. My style was evolving and becoming more realistic the more I worked (and got more control over the touchpad I use!). Some images just needed to be tweaked, but I had to completely redo some to make them fit. Here's a sample of the new stuff with old images below for comparison:

PC PORTRAIT (NEW THEN OLD):
HELIOTROPE, MAGICIAN LEADER (NEW THEN OLD):
MERCENARY GUNMAN (NEW THEN OLD):
PALAZ, A MERCENARY (NEW THEN OLD):
zach_holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion