Curse of the Wailing Death

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Curse of the Wailing Death

Postby TheDragonWaiting » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:02 am

I've mentioned it before on this forum, but I've been working on my own Iceblink modeule for a while. It's a concept I've been interested in for a while now, a module paying tribute to the original conception of the Neverwinter Nights Official Campaign in the Iceblink 2 engine. The genesis of this project is really twofold,

1) I read this old NWN design document (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/nwn-oc-plot-was-cut-possibly-due-to-publisher-meddling.74097/) and I was struck by the potential there that was obviously not realized by the NWN OC.

2) I’m optimistic that the Iceblink project will allow for user creation of RPG modules on the scale of Neverwinter Nights but with full-party control, essentially a modern-day Unlimited Adventures.

To these ends, I’m slowly creating a sort-of alternative NWN OC using the plot from that leaked outline but making up the details as I go along. This demo is the prelude, equivalent to the academy section of the NWN OC. I’m releasing it as a demo to get feedback on what people think of the race/class concepts and encounter design but I’m also hoping to interest others in building using IB2 and I’m hoping that the content I’m creating for CotWD can be a template for other builders.

I have finally released the prelude as a demo on NWvault:

https://neverwintervault.org/project/iceblink/module/curse-wailing-death-prelude

It took me a while to figure out how to put the various pieces together but creating a starter dungeon has taught me enough about how the toolset works that I feel confident about starting work on the campaign proper. I would appreciate any feedback as I slowly build up the NW city core in preparation for Chapter 1.

Setting:
The setting is roughly like that of Forgotten Realms but I’ve made some slight alterations to clean things up a bit. Most of what you remember about Forgotten Realms is accurate but importantly for this campaign, the gods of Toril, if they exit, do not communicate with their followers. Priests and Templars draw magical power from the movement of the stars, but it has nothing to do with the gods per se, as evidenced by witches who use the same magic without the religious component (i.e. the fact that a man casts spells while holding the holy symbol of a generally good god does not mean that he’s a good person or even that he is sincere in his worship of that god). Similarly, there are no “Know Alignment” or “Read Mind” spells so people still have to decide how to trust the old-fashioned way.

The Ruleset:
The rules are not exactly any particular edition of Dungeons and Dragons but rather like Shadowrun: Returns, it sort of suggests a blend of 2nd edition and 3.5. There are eight races and eight classes, detailed below and in general they work the way you would expect. However all classes have some form of spell-casting. You create up to six characters when you start the game but there are also six NPCs available to make up your party should you so desire.

Known Bugs:
I’ve tested the prelude with IB2 beta 21 and the only obvious bug is that spells like Bless or Song of Courage which are intended only to affect allies within a certain area affect enemies as well. There are also no immunities implemented in this version so zombies are still vulnerable to fear. Both of these issues were resolved in later unreleased versions of IB2 but an issue with spell effects on-hit was introduced. Sometimes containers display "Equip Selected" instead of "Take All" but it's purely cosmetic.

Installation Instructions:
Unzip the archive into your IB2 modules folder, create up to six characters and do your part to end the plague in Neverwinter.
TheDragonWaiting

Re: Curse of the Wailing Death

Postby Dorateen » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:18 pm

TheDragonWaiting, this looks fantastic. I love the icons you are using, both character combat and the inventory pieces as well. I will look forward to checking this out.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:56 pm

This sounds and looks awesome. A significant amount of work must have already gone into this. I'll download it tonight and give it a go.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Big gratz on your release of the prelude :) ! Graphics look fantastic, looking forward to trying it out very much.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Looks great! I will download as soon as I'm back on broadband (moving house at the minute....). It will be interesting to see how you've tackled the original NWN design document, it's a great idea for a new mod.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:00 am

Great work TDW, from what I have played so far. Having a dwarf was helpful in the first area ;) I made it past the first encounter, but we took a beating with just the crude weapons on hand. We are busting out of here :P
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:25 am

Awesome accomplishment :) ! So much love poured into intro, very stylish. Already found a (very) first little secret btw, hehe.

Also saw your design pdf document for races & classes. Most intruiging, I will have to dig deeper and test a bit for a qualified feedback, but first impression is that of a clear structure and much love to detail, great :) !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:03 pm

I started playing last night, and enjoying so far. The options at character creation are great, with a fresh take on classes. Our party's thief has made use of putting the enemy to sleep. Obviously the graphics and UI are most impressive, every little custom detail. I love how you do the fog of war reveal on the map, with a fade in effect. And the way it is helpful to select between party members to get different interactions is very good design.

A couple of issues, on the character generation screen, the description of races/classes is long and runs into other text below. This is a layout change that perhaps needs to be made, allowing for scrolling of such information.

Also, in the room where we discover some of the expedition's loot, the goblin prop remains on the map after combat. In addition, you can fire the conversation repeatedly, although the encounter only happens once.

Look forward to continuing this adventure!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:24 pm

I love how you do the fog of war reveal on the map, with a fade in effect.

Cannot look it up properly right now, but there should be an option in module properties like "useMathGridFade" for activating this behaviour. Or maybe I forgot to to open it up for authors in the non-github version of the toolset? Must verify. The strange name origins from using originally grid paper for undiscovered tiles, like the background of the inibar. Later on I opted for just having a black tile fade bcause fog of war represented by grid paper was a little bit too distracting.

A couple of issues, on the character generation screen, the description of races/classes is long and runs into other text below. This is a layout change that perhaps needs to be made, allowing for scrolling of such information.

That's a good point. Indeed I would wish for scrollabe info at this place, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby TheDragonWaiting » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:10 pm

Also, in the room where we discover some of the expedition's loot, the goblin prop remains on the map after combat. In addition, you can fire the conversation repeatedly, although the encounter only happens once.

Thanks for reporting that, Dorateen. The conversation node that deletes the prop when the encounter starts had the wrong tag. And yes, dwarves' stonesense trait helps out a lot in underground areas. Someday when there are wilderness areas, Wood elves will have a similar ability to pick out the unusual.
TheDragonWaiting

Next

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion