Music Questions

Ask any questions that come up while using the PC or Android IceBlink 2 Engine

Music Questions

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:07 pm

1. Would it be possible to make a song persist across areas?

2. Iceblink seems to default to having sound off at the beginning of a module. Is there a way to change the default to on? My mod begins with a conversation, so it'd be nice to have something playing in the background then.
zach_holbrook

Re: Music Questions

Postby slowdive » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:01 pm

It has been awhile since I've looked at that part of the code, but I believe Karl put in a check to see, upon transition, if the music is the same for that areathen to keep on playing. Must investigate.
We could probably add a property to the module class for staying module with music on so builders can choose. May also be nice to have a module specific theme music that plays during character creation, title screen, etc.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:56 pm

Hmmm... I'm having trouble getting music to play at all when transitioning areas, even when using two different tracks. In this example, I have two different songs for Areas 1 and 2. Delay is set to 0.

Area 1: Turn music on. Music plays. Enter Area 2.
Area 2. No music. Enter Area 1.
Area 1: No music.

Interestingly, if I toggle the sound off and back on again, whatever track is supposed to play plays, no matter what area I'm in.

I like the idea of module properties/music during character creation!
zach_holbrook

Postby Dorateen » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:13 pm

Hi Zach,

This has been a known issue since the IceBlink 2 build 21. When I was testing "Hearkenwold", I also noticed that the music was set of off by default at the start of the module, and the music would turn off upon area transitions. Other toggles will turn it back on, and also when you come out of a combat encounter, the area music will resume. This was reported and is on the list of bug fixes. I think it had something to do with weather and other sound properties.

Look forward to more updates about your module!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:41 am

Good input/questioons about the music, guys.

Yep, the bugs are internally fixed as Dorateen and Jer already said. Switching areas will not mute the old music anymore and play a new piece should such be set for the new area.

I also like the idea of A) optionally starting with music and sound on and b) having the option to hear different music pieces also during party build, character creation, etc. (basically starting from very first screen).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:48 pm

Excellent. Sounds good all around!
zach_holbrook

Postby zach_holbrook » Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:18 pm

I'd like to revisit the persistent music question...because my game uses a lot of areas (think a twenty-area dungeon level), it'd be great if a song could keep playing while the party explored instead of refreshing whenever a new area was entered. Is this possible?
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:37 pm

I just uploaded IB Beta v60 that tries to keep music (and ambient sound) playing without interruption in case old and new area share the same music /ambient sound. 20 area dungeon sounds mighty impressive and tempting btw :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Return to Questions and Answers