Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Mon May 08, 2017 5:51 pm

Thanks, Pongo!

youngneil1 wrote:
Thanks, youngneil1. I will have to test making an area dark and leaving the torches as a source of light. I've seen those settings in the toolset, but have not touched them yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

Awesome, keep the feedback coming :) .

I meant to ask, next to the calendar information on the screen, there is a 0. I have been trying to set the World Time to 1295. Is that number too big or invalid? I have it set in the module properties, but in game still shows the 0 next to the date and month.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 08, 2017 7:24 pm

Ah, good question there :) . The world time is measured in minutes, so the number is too small to move the year counter. A single year eg is 483840. Or better for more info:

a. worldTime: Free choice. The starting time of your adventure in minutes. A day has 1440 minutes, a month 40320 (always 28 days a month) and a year 483840 (always 12 months a year). As this is an int number in c# (2.7 billions) you have about 4000 years of history to draw from. In other words, don't go too close to 4000 years with your start start date. The calendar will set up itself automatically based on this number and your info about weekday and month names (see below). Also note that you can set up for each area individually how many minutes a single turn/step consumes (see also below).

From viewtopic.php?f=56&t=507 (with more inof on many properties in the lower sections - it's rather overwhelming, unfortunately, I know).

Edit: For the year 1295 try setting world time to 626572800 (minutes).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed May 17, 2017 7:35 pm

When I created the map leading up to Fortress Relmfur, approaching from the north, I added some stone outcroppings along the exterior kind of like little alcoves. This also gives an illusion of crenellated battlements. It has a ramp that rises toward the entrance and the walls have been height adjusted.

I like how this looked, giving more depth to the structure. I went back to the first outdoor area leaving Castle Hearkenwold, and also placed additional outcropping stonework and increased the height. This map will be getting some new content, including a fast travel system to take a coach/horses to the city of Khyn. But it will cost 50 gold, so starting characters will likely pass on this option.

hearkoutdoorB1.jpg
hearkoutdoorB1.jpg (160.96 KiB) Viewed 504 times

On another note, I finished all the maps linking to Relmfur and Skardale. The rest of this month, I will go back to filling in some of the previous areas.

edit: Here is a screenshot of outside Fortress Relmfur, for comparison.

hearkrelmfurwall.jpg
hearkrelmfurwall.jpg (180.15 KiB) Viewed 502 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 17, 2017 8:46 pm

Masterful use of the height sytem, Dorateen :) ! The broad ramp and crenellations look excellent, they add lots of sense of place :) .

I am also looking forward to the fast travel sytem - for a campaign as large as Hearkenwold it's an invalubale addition, especially with an open world design.

Btw, did setting the year 1295 work out in the end?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu May 18, 2017 1:09 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Btw, did setting the year 1295 work out in the end?

The large number did not seem to do the trick. I want to try to put in the value for one year, and see if I can at least get a value of 1 to show up there.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:39 pm

Ah, sad to hear. I will double check where things went wrong in the code...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu May 18, 2017 2:59 pm

Looks like internally these minutes are turned into seconds, multiplying the number with 60. So the highest working minute number would be like 37.791.394.

This is not ideal as I like year numbers encompasing at least 30th century or such, too. Seconds are not really needed on world map. I will look at the time related code and see if I can scale things up...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed May 31, 2017 6:30 pm

I went back and changed the floor tile of the Goblin Cave. The rock texture for the walls, I left, but I did raise them and added orange torch light.

Here is how the place looks now:

HearkGoblinCave.jpg
HearkGoblinCave.jpg (52.96 KiB) Viewed 425 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Jun 03, 2017 4:27 pm

June Update

I posted a more detailed progress report over at the Codex. Over the past several weeks, I've already been sharing information here, such as playing around with the height system and using new floor tiles.

This is a new battle screenshot that nicely showcases the spell interrupt system. Cleric moved in to heal the party's paladin, and the gargoyle gets an attack of opportunity (hitting three times!). The cleric fails is will save and loses the spell. In the future, I would have to move him into a better spot so as not to provoke that attack. I haven't tweaked the numbers yet, though as it looks like the save required is pretty high, almost ensuring he will fail if hit. Definitely makes things more dangerous.

I also posted a different view of Fortress Relmfur, approaching from the east. I took a party of first level characters here, just to show it is possible, even though it would be a perilous journey. There is no reason for such an under developed party to go here at the beginning of the adventure, but freedom of open exploration is important to this design.

This month, I am starting work on the City of Skardale. Like the fortress, I have a map made on graph paper from years ago, and it will be fun to recreate it fairly faithfully in the IceBlink toolset. Of course, this means linking about six maps, not including building or other subzones. The city is more cosmopolitan than rural villages, and more cutthroat than the holy city of Khyn (at least from outward appearance). So one of the things I'm considering to include is a bank where characters can take out a loan. But they will be tracked down later for interest payments. On the other hand, there will be lots of temptation for things to buy in the city so the extra gold could be useful.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:32 am

This looks soooo good, Dorateen, really impressed here :). Love the standing stones and stone archs in the battle scene, also the high rising castle.

The save number (dc) for the interruption is based on damage taken + 10. As the gargoyle caused in sum 21 points of damage that save roll has a dc of 10+21 =31. I guess it's hard to control the arcane while a gargoyle is eating you alive :mrgreen: :lol: .

You could try to - seamlessly - link your six maps via neighbopuring area properties of the areas. It is as simple as entering the area names for the fitting direction. You will not need to place any transitions if you take this route. Like described here (look under area properties in toolset, then enter just area name ther, like: easternNeighbour: relmfur):

g. easternNeighbour, westernNeighbour, southernNeighbour and northernNeighbour: free choice Here you can enter the area name of a neighbouring area in the corresponding direction. You need to use the useAllTileSystem from module's properties for this to work out. Once two maps are neighbours (do these settings for each neighbour map, using mirrored settings for each neighbour) they will appear as one cohesive map for the player: you can look into a neighbouring map from current map, line of sight, fog of war and light&shadow works across neighbouring maps, props are drawn across neighbour's borders. Also transitions to a neighbouring map happen automatically (and not noticable by the player) - no need for transition triggers in this case. Only moving props will freeze on a neighbouring map. Also, moving props will not chase a player onto a neighbouring map. Please note that time driven movers can traverse cross maps though (they somewhat teleport though, making big jumps to the next time scheduled waypoint when the time has come). Furthermore, a northern neighbour's eastern neighbour is automatically the current map's northeastern neighbour - they are all drawn next to each other on a giant grid. Example:

Imagine the maps 1 to 9 like on your numpad (this is not limited to nine maps, you can use any number of maps):

When 5 has set its easternNeighbour to 6 and 6 has set its westernNeighbour to 5, both maps are seamlessly, cohesively connected neighbours. Now, when doing such mirrored settings for all nine maps, then e.g. 3 is treated as northeastern neighbour of 5 while 5 is southwestern neighbour of 3.

Please make all areas you want to be seamlessly connected have the same size of squares. Personally, I will build up my worlds with 32 square x 32 square areas as building blocks (which the player will not note). Enough space for some decent mover patrol or random move routines as well as chases, yet swift enough to handle in toolset and graphic program (1600x1600 pix png when having a hand drawn pictures as base layer) and not too demanding at runtime when it comes to e.g. pathfinding or the number of potential game logic pieces contained.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion