Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:05 pm

I can reproduce the encounter from convo bug here, Dorateen. Investigating...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:10 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Did you save your module once, using IB v95, in toolset and then try it out (after saving)?

If you did, then I botched somewhere for sure. In my test scenario the encounter is triggered directly on prop collision. Therefore, I would not have noticed any trouble with encounters coming from convos. This makes a botch very likely.

yes, I started working on the module in the toolset with v95, and saved. This was the first time I tried to play it in v95. I think the prop collision might be a factor. I rarely use props, and most encounters are indeed conversation driven. Again, I put down a trigger on the map and attach the conversation in event 1, followed by the encounter in event 2. Most of the time, no scripting needed, as combat will follow automatically using this method.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:21 pm

IB Beta v96 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/60r8g4ngk8odn ... 6.zip?dl=0

- possible hotfix for Encounters not triggering properly from convos and events
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:15 pm

Hi youngneil1,

Encounters are firing from triggers in version v96, that is working. But I found another glitch. In debug mode, the "kill" button in combat is now imposed over the moves remaining square, and the kill button is unclickable. This is needed for testing.

Edit: fixed it by copying the old CombatUILayout into the module's data folder.

HearkdebugKill.jpg
HearkdebugKill.jpg (116.06 KiB) Viewed 582 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:09 pm

Ah, good find I forgot to adjust that one.

You can still use the new combatUILayout.json (then hotkeys are displayed correctly, h key, also other chnges will need it likely), just adjust position of kill button here (uisng text edit on the combatUILayout.json):

Code: Select all
 "tag": "tglKill",
          "ImgOnFilename": "tgl_kill_on",
          "ImgOffFilename": "tgl_kill_on",
          "toggleOn": false,
          "X": 1435,
          "Y": 25,
          "Width": 50,
          "Height": 50,
          "show": false

The line "X": 1435 will eg move the kill toggle horizontally (higher number is to the right), while "Y": 25 moves it vertically (higher number is to the bottom). Maybe try "X": 1635. This should move the kill toggle next to the exit button (100 units of move a distance equal of one button's width).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:49 am

Coding away at the respawn & faction systems here (which interact quite a bit).

I think I will grant factions ranks, like maybe 10. Each might be worth 100 points of faction strength. Like, faction strength 0 (or less) to 99: Rank 1, 100 -199 (Rank 2), 200 -299 (Rank 3) and so forth.
Authors can grant inividual names to the ranks (like "weak" or "very strong"). These ranks do not measure the factions against each other, but just the development of a faction within its potential: E.g. the faction "Goblins of the small valley" will be even when "very strong" not as powerful as "weak" Imperial Highguard faction.

Besides the names, authors also can decide that ranks shall grant a faction buff. The amount of buff can be assigned behind each rank (note that it's always the sum of the preceedigng buffs that you need to enter): like maybe so

1:+1
2:+1
3:+2
4:+2
5:+3
6:+4
7:+5
8:+6
9:+8
10:+10

In this example, the faction buff for a rank 8 would be +6 (in sum).

I plan to have the buff affect the follwoing: toHit bonus, AC bonus and all saving throw boni (Fort, Ref, Will). This way it will not completely transfrom creatures affected, but should have a reasonable impact nonetheless.

Also note, that by the min max faction strength requirments of props you furthermore can easily exchange props (and therewith encounters and their creatures) against each other absed on current faction strength.

So, the rank buffs are a soft and very conveniently to implement system. The faction str min max req of props on the other hand, takes more effort, but allows a hard exchange (like having Ogres appear instead of Orcs etc).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Tue Apr 10, 2018 5:10 pm

Wow, lots of new stuff to try out. Excellent!
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:23 am

Thank you, Zach. There is so much new stuff I haven't really tried out (besides a few debug tests) that I am as eager to see in action in a real adventure as you are. The active search, the extended trait system on adventure map, the party leader switching on the fly, the greatly increaseed skill check flexibility, the new sytem for extreme height differences (dynamically blending out too deep and too high squares, compared to current party height level) and of - course, once it's done -the faction & respawn systems. Exciting times indeed :) .

Edit: Oh, something else, rather fascinating, just crossed my mind: the faction system I currently code can make props dynamically appear and vanish. I originally thoguht of props carrying encounters here, but it can be any prop actually. Imagine eg that a faction is building a wall gradually and with increased faction strength this completes at certain point, blocking a path for the party, eg focing to the party too take much longer and more dangerous ways around. Or vice versa, closed off areas might open up this way. Some potenial there(of course this could be manually scripted, too, but it now comes more or less premade and very easy to use).

Maybe I should extend the min max faction strength window to triggers as well at some point, fully tying in game play logic...

Edit2: A new gcIsInFactionStrengthWindow script (p1: faction tag, p2: min faction strength, p3: max faction strength) should allow such very easily. Fired off event 1 and with the new gcTrue/gcFalse switches for event2/3 this could really work out. Same script would also be powerful in convos. Too tempting to not try it :roll: :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:35 am

Added three new scripts that can check (1) whether faction strength is between min and max values, (2) modify faction strength and (3) modify faction growth rate.

I am looking into adding a new prop property that makes isActive and isShown state depend on the call of a gcScript (this check will be done after the min max faction strength check, requiring a positive outcome of the prior min max faction check). The idea here is to make props more dynamic even outside the scope of the faction system (imagine props only appearing e.g. at night without having to rely on setting up a routine as world time driven mover; also nice for non-encounter props like eg burning torches (though outdoor lights light up only at night anyway right now)). Quest stages can make props appear/disappear this way, too, which is very important imho. Maybe even allow for three such checks that all need to end up true for a prop to appear. Note to self: Treat no-faction props correctly, too, here.

Will also look into easy use time related scripts (eg gcIsNight.cs or gcIsMonday.cs or gcIsSeason). These can add ineresting desgin options for triggers as well as convos, too. Esepcially gcIsSeason could be used to add a snow overlay prop here and there for atmosphere. Cute, isn't it ;) ?

Edit: Note to self 2: Check possibility of a terrain height level manipulation script.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:12 pm

Any thoughts why I would suddenly be getting this message when toggling music on and off?

hearkmusicfail.jpg
hearkmusicfail.jpg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 473 times

The music still plays on the map, and works fine with transitions. But I first noticed the problem yesterday when I went into combat and none of the sounds were working. Could it be something with the windows media player/files on the computer I'm using? I will test on the win10 laptop later.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions