Creating a new creature

Discuss the IceBlink Toolset

Creating a new creature

Postby sidermaniac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:25 am

I am having no luck in creating a new creature. I've got the creature named and in the desired category. I made a sprite (spt) for the creature. The toolset will not let me type in the property box for CharSprite. I've even tried duplicating an existing sprite and changing its image. That property box is greyed out. Whats going on?
sidermaniac

Re: Creating a new creature

Postby slowdive » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:37 am

Sorry, I'm still adding that section to the builders guide, but the quick answer is...
There is a tab next to the properties tab called "iconSprite" or something like that. Click on that tab to show that toolbox. At the bottom of that toolbox should be a square that shows the currently selected creature's sprite image and a button to change it. If the "KnownTraits" and "knownspells" take up too much space, you may not see the token selector at the bottom. Just shrink the "known" stuff or undock the "iconSprite" tab by left clicking and holding the on the tab itself and dragging to somewhere on the screen. I like to undock and expand both my properties tab and sprite tab and place them on my second monitor. The toolset will remember you layout for the next session. Back to sleep for me :lol:
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby sidermaniac » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:08 am

I read that in the quickstart guide by youngNeil1. But I didn't see the interface he was talking about, so I thought maybe it was on a previous version and had since changed.
No need to get out of bed on my account. Nothing that can't wait.
Thanks.
sidermaniac

Postby sidermaniac » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:45 am

So I found the button after some window resizing. Unfortunately this is still not working. I click on the image I want to use and I get an error.
"Failed to load image. Make sure to select a creature from the list first". Then a second error window, "Failed to load sprite...make sure to select creature, item, or prop just before clicking this button". I do have my creature selected before I click the button. I have tried this with several images on that page. I have tried changing the images of existing creatures. When I do that the same error messages come up but the image does get changed. The image on my new creature however never does get changed.
I just now tried saving my module and exiting the toolset. Then restart the toolset and I can select an image for the creature. It seems it needs to register somehow. When the toolset is restarted the image you selected for this creature before you exited (the one that errored and didn't show) is being used. This I think is a bug.
To reproduce the bug:
Add a new creature and give it a name.
Click on Icon Sprite.
Select an image. The error messages will report and no image will show for the new creature. There will not be an entry in the CharSprite property box.
Save the module.
Exit the toolset and restart the toolset.
The image selected will now appear for the new creature. You can now select any image for the creature without errors.
sidermaniac

Postby slowdive » Wed Jan 01, 2014 2:48 pm

Thanks for the detailed bug report. With your description I was able to reproduce and find the bug. The problem is that adding a creature doesn't instantiate the "game" object on the creature so if a sprite is not found in your module folder and is instead in the "IceBlink v1xx\data\..." folder, you will get the error (it is a null exception error). I just fixed this so the next update will have the fix. For now, you can duplicate a creature and that works. Also, I inadvertently allowed tokens from the "IceBlink v1xx\tokens" folder to show up in the token selector screen. If you choose one of those sprites, it will initially show up in the image box, but if you choose a different creature and then come back it will show the "blank" image in the sprite image box. The "IceBlink v1xx\tokens" folder is really meant for players to keep tokens they may want to use for their PCs and should not be used by module authors for creatures or NPCs. I'll remove loading tokens from that folder in the toolset token selector screen.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby James » Wed Sep 24, 2014 2:05 am

Wow, I ran into this HUGE bug as well.
Only by google searching "IceBlink sprite greyed out" was I able to find the answer. That was a total shot in the dark.
James

Return to General Toolset Discussion