[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
IceBlinkEngine.com • View topic - Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby slowdive » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:05 pm

Kids took over the computers to play some Pillars of Eternity.
21FFFFA7-F152-4090-A119-69A619C4BAA6.jpeg
21FFFFA7-F152-4090-A119-69A619C4BAA6.jpeg (3.06 MiB) Viewed 411 times
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:33 pm

I think the best part of PoE was the White March expansion. Has a nice Icewind Dale vibe to it.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:42 am

Very cute to see them play together this way :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:03 pm

Made some more progress the past couple of nights with IBx. Most all the platform specific routines seem to be up and running. Now I need to decide on implementing each GitHub commit one at a time or just copy all the current code over and update it as needed to the way IBx may handle some functions differently (drawing with skiaSharp for example).

Typically, I’ve been trying to use generic IB type functions that call a single code location so that any language or platform differences are only in that one function instead of everywhere throughout all the classes. For example, I like to use a generic gv.draw() function everywhere and then in the actual function location there is either skiaSharp code or SharpDX code. This way the differences between IBx and IB are very minimal and only in a few locations.

Any SharpDX type functions would be best to use generics like for measuring strings, colors, bitmap stuff, etc. I started doing this for IBrect back in the day because c# and java handle Rect differently. I also created the Coordinate class for us to use as well because of differences in c# and java. Saved a ton of time when keeping pc and Android versions in sync back before xamarin.

As I go through the IBx and IB code, I’ll make notes of where I think we can implement more generic function calls that point to a single location for platform and language specific code.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:17 pm

Great thinking there and looks like you opened Pandora's box now ;) . You will find ample refactoring/restruturing opportunity. I think you might fare best with porting current code over en bloc. Otherwise you will have to consider each time again how the next commit you tackle will fit into your new re-structured code base.

Maybe port it over as directly as possible en bloc as first step. And then work your way through the errors. Once it runs, start refactoring the mess as second step. This approach will be much more typing for you (as I have duplicate code all over the place), but it might increase the chances of getting it up and running without entangling yourself in my iterative and selfreversing back and forth changes.

This just my rather unqualified gut feeling though, so it might still be better to do it the other way round :lol: .

Anyhow, I am very happy to see you look into it, whatever the outcome.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:33 pm

I think you are right, I’ll just start with the current code and adjust as needed for cross platform stuff. A lot of our functions are already set up as generic so it should be doable. I’ll start with the classes that are mostly just properties as they won’t have changes. I’ll then work on the classes that have lots of functions that may be platform dependent or graphics library dependent.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:02 am

I updated all the IBx property type classes to the current version of IB (cloned today from GitHub). The only classes that need some work in order to get everything working right for IBx are the following:
GameView
CommonCode
ScriptFunctions
Module
all IB2 and ibb controls
all Screens
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:34 am

Very good, the picture is getting clearer. It pays big time now that you clearly structured the classes right from the outset. Keep up the good work :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:01 pm

I just have the “screen” classes left to do. I finished three of them including the screenCombat which was a big one. Slowly making progress and hoping to have IBx up and going by next week in sync with the latest IB version. Now we need to come up with the app icon? Any suggestions?
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Jer, you blow my mind. I would have thought it would take many months to get to this point, if ever! Pondering on icon now :) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions