Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby slowdive » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:59 pm

pulled recent commits. Took me a bit to figure out how to find the companion. I kept pounding my head on the skeleton wall to no avail (use space bar :lol: ). I then was able to traverse the traps using space bar and then promptly being slaughtered by a group of kobolds :P

Great fun with the new mechanics/features. Look forward to seeing more of them in action.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:45 pm

Great to read your first hand experiences :lol: . Sorry for your troubles, I think it will get clearer once I add tutorial floaties/message boxes :oops: . I will add more stuff in the next days - also including outdoors with differnet scale and overview maps for areas. I think some incombat stuff like eg victory conditions, reinforcements or event squares in combat would make sense, too. Maybe respawns or factions or world time driven movers... lots of potentially interesting themes.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:51 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Great to read your first hand experiences :lol: . Sorry for your troubles, I think it will get clearer once I add tutorial floaties/message boxes :oops:

No troubles at all, I just open the toolset when I get stuck ;)
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:53 pm

Hah, cheating :lol: ! Well, fair enough :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 11:55 am

While building I fixed a nasty bug related to the transition to neighbouring areas (in getBlocked method).

Oh, play comfort is greatly increased when using a few hotkeys, especially t for torch on/off and a/d /left/right fir rotating party leader. All hotkeys are shown when pressing h.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:35 pm

Pushed another room to github with a hidden info prop (space to search for those, sames as for traps and secret doors -> all hidden stuff) and also with a convo requiring to manually enter a passphrase.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 6:32 am

Added space as hotkey for "take all" in containers. Right now I am preparing tutorial messages via signposts in the tutorial module. I would like them to show info as floaty on mouse over (if possible n step on/bump into, too, investigating...).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:47 am

Good progress with the signposts - they work on stepping upon them now, too. Next is looking into the bump functionality for them (or better: generally for info props). Also, I might add a bit more fine control over bump behaviour. Eg right now the player can engage with enemies on different height levels, which is not optimal.

Setting up the tutorial dungoen is a very productive exercise. It shapes the final vision for the engine big time and unveils quite a few bugs or yet unintuitive systems. I start to grasp how the game is meant to "feel" (for me), if that makes any sense.

Furthermore, the toolset will need some more loving in the next months, too. There are no plot stopper bugs, but a lot of smaller bugs and inconveniences that are worth ironing out some day. Wont get boring in 2019 :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:56 am

Worked on auto-positioning of floaty text on screen when stepping upon or bumping into a prop with floaty info. The more text in the floaty, the higher it appears above the party. Just a litte detail, but looks nice imho. Also, made sure that the info floaties will not appear in utter darkness. Currently, I am in the middle of making info floaties available for bump intercations, too. In the end they will pop up on mouse over, step upon and bump into. I plan to utilize them very often to describe little details in environments - even if only to counterbalance my poor drawing skills :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:54 am

Bump info floaties for props are up and running :). In the process, I also had to fix a really ugly bug related to preventing info floaties from being shown in darkness.

Authors can stick pop up texts everwhere now very easily. Be it on the ground, on walls, on objects... and the player can access this info very intuitvely, too, by mousing over, walking onto it or bumping into it. This gives me confidence that world building will work out even with limited art skills/ressources/under time restraints.

I also added a little twist for secret doors: They can have pop up text, too - like "Some bones stick out of this wall, strange...". When successuflly opening the secret door (active search via space key + successful skill check), this pop up text will not be shown anymore. Just a little touch, but exactly these touches only come to mind due to building and playtesting the tutorial adventure.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions