Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:59 am

Good catch with the kill button, I will look into it.

Full party moves neatly in rank and file now (goups of two, up to three rows, all very small, placed on a single square that trails behind the party leader, who is drawn as beforehand). They keep formation when changing move direction. Also, when changing the party leader they fill the gap. It's fun to watch the whole party move this way :) .

Now, I have to get the transition situation right, especially in the seamless map scenario (stepping form neighbour to neighbour).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 am

All transition situations work now for drawing the full party tail correctly (at least as far I have tested it). Furthermore, the full party tail is corrctly hidden under bridges (tunnels, secret passages) now and should be also drawn underneath moving props right behind the party.

I have greyscaled and implemented the off images for all the new main map traits. Also, I have made new, more subtle indicators for traits and spells that are available, but not learned, not available, already learned, etc.

Currently, I am looking into making the bloom/glow on adding light sources a bit less extensive. And I have to to see how I handle the rather long trait descriptions in the trait and spells screens. Always more tasks popping up :lol: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:15 pm

Note to self: divide opacity through number of light sources on square
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:58 pm

That was a bit more tricky to do than I thought, but in the end it worked out nicely. We have got less bloom/glow for party light source overlapping with other light sources now. Generally, I reduced the halo strengh of party light by about 30 percent.

To do:
- kill buttton placement
- scrollable trait and spell descriptions (or shorter texts)
- continue work on tutorial dungeon
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:48 pm

- kill button place, done: I moved it one square more to the rigth. I forgot to do that when introducing the new delay turn button in combat.
- scrollable trait and spell descriptions, done: A new button "More" on the trait and spell screens allwos for reading longer descriptions
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:59 am

I am back in the tutorial dungeon. Before adding the next room, I will try to declutter and sort onscreen info for props a bit more. Currently, I want to see how it looks if I integrate the challenge level indicators as well as the interaction state info into the mouse over info for a prop. I could work with different text colours for threat with encounters (partially red) and peaceful props (partially green).

Ideally this will work out for all NPC/creature props, peaceful or not. Only props that will in any way result in battle are considered aggressive/eenmy type in this system (others might only trigger battle depending on the outcome of a convo, they will be flagged peaceful in this case).

A new property for props might overwrite this automatic assessnent of enemy/passive if the author sets it. If a prop gets mouse over info text other than none this will also replace all the automatic info generated. Another property might turn of autoinfo in any case (even with no mouse over info).

I think the autoinfo should be generated for all props with either convo or encounter on them, regardless of whether they are movers or not.

Five lines of screen real estate directly above the prop might look nice. Next post will contemplate on how to best use and eventually color code these lines.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:15 pm

This sounds great! Looking forward to testing out the updated tutorial once pushed to GitHub :D great work there.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:54 am

Thank you, Jer :). Next push soon, maybe tomorrow or the day after. Here's what I think the mouse over info lines about enc/convo props might look like:

1. Name/Encounter name: "Kobold Warband"

2. Challenge Rating: "Very Hard Enc Lvl 13" (green - Easy, white - Normal, yellow - Hard, orange - Very Hard, red - Deadly, based on automatic comparison of current average party level with autor pre-assigned encounter level) OR "Mandatory Convo" (always yellow) OR "Avoidable Convo" (always green)

3. Mover type: "Patrol" (options: Stationary, Patrol, Random mover, Daily routine, Weekly routine, Monthly routine, Yearly routine)

4. Hide & Seek: "Hide 14, Seek 13" (or respectively "No Stealther", "No Chaser", in green for no chaser/no stealther, otherwise in red)

5. Speed, with chances for skip move and double move: "Speed 7, 0:15%, 2:15%" (Chances are dynamically calculated based on automatic comparison of current party speed, ie Traveller trait of leader, with prop's speed value)

Edit: changed color scheme for challenge rating again.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:40 pm

The mouse over and color schemes sound intuitive. Looking forward to trying out when ready.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:40 am

I have redone the mouse over info for props now (very similarly to the description above). It was much more work than Initially thought, mostly because of the way different entry combinations (properties) interact with each other. It was fully worth the hassle though because many rather hidden sytems (eg nature of the props movement routine, stealth, spot, mandatory or optional convo, challenge level, chase behaviour, movement chances...) become much clearer to the player due to this info. Also, the clutter factor is much better as all this info turns only up for one prop and only on mouse over. The visual challenge indicators (flaming swords) are decativated and the - additional - viusual clue for optional/mandatory convo/encounter is based on a toggle and rather subtle.

I have added a new property to props that lets the authors control whether dual natured props (convo and encounter) shall show challenge level info (primarily encounter) or conversation type info (primarily convo). An example: In a module where encounters are preceded by a little text and picture in a covco that inevitably leads to the encounter, it makes sense to flag these always as encounters. On the other hand, there might be convos that may or may not lead to an encounter, depending on the answers given (eg insulting the NPC). In these later cases, it might be better to flag those as convos (primarily).

Furthermore, I am allowing a "sneak through" property setting now. An author can set whether the party can - with a high enough skill level - even sneak directly through a specific cretaure/npc now (also shown in mosue over info whether this is possible). Normally, Shaodw (stealth/sneak) only affects the spot chances for chasers, but on collision with a prop a party is always considered detected. The new setting overrides this default bevaviour, potenially allwoing the party to sneak right through a guard (todo: make the party sneak chances distance based, too?)

Tonight I will make a few little adjustments to the info signs in the tutorial dungeon, give more names to creatures/companion props in the dungeon and add the new already mentioned properties to the toolset. Then I will do another push to github and afterwards continue to extend the tutorial dungeon (which will eventually have an outdoor area for weather, map and scale systems as well as a little settlement for world time driven mover routines, advanced NPC collilsion behaviour and usage of skip optinal convos toggle system). Somehwere along the way I have add examples for the respawn and faction system, too :roll: :lol: .

All of this takes time, but I really see a very clear cut road ahead concenrning how the game/engine shall feel in the end (in the very speficic iteraton for the campaign I want to do, so much is purely optional by design and authors always can push through their own desgin ides... that's on of the strong points of the whole project).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions