Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:22 pm

IB Beta v137 (skipping v136) - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/jdjbbxrm9ydda ... 7.zip?dl=0

- this a bit of an odd release: I have been talking about the tutorial dungeon for about month now without anyting to show, which must get a bit boring for our dear IB community. The included tutorial module is far from complteed (just a few rooms so far), but still it is more interesting to have a look into it as it is compared to reading dry texts only. So, for the brave, have a look :-). The real release of the finished thingie will come at a later time.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Also just pushed to GitHub, of course :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:08 am

Just double checked that the systems for spotting enemies (Lookout) and hidibg from enemies (Shadow) already factor in distance and light level:

Lookout (detect stealthing creatures): gets more difficult by 2 with each square distance between party and stealthing prop. If the prop is in complete darkness difficulty increases by 12, in the night by 4.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:39 am

Just updated from Github...will test out the tutorial tomorrow (hopefully if I can find a break from prepping house for market...goes on market Thursday).
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 5:07 pm

No need to rush the testing, slightly distracted here myself,too (full day of running around, shopping and cleaning, sigh :roll: :lol: ). The last release is just one little step on the road, hoepfully tomorrow gets a bit moe relaxed here and I can continue moving it forward.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Quite productive day here - I added alot of details/polish work/bug fixes to stealthing and chasing props (all pushed to github).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:23 pm

Awesome! I'll pull from GitHub today. May not get to anything until after Thursday (May a few minutes here and there :P ).
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:35 am

I have began work on an outdoor area for the tutorial module (using a smaller scale / zoom level). It has winter weather (including snow fall sprites) and is made as a single 1600x1600 (32x32 squares) image on my note. I think I will have 4 of these, seamlessly connected to show off the vastness of the seamless gameworld possible with the engine a bit. It is still a barebones green plane right now, but this will change :) .

But first I will try to improve the random movements of creatures in combat a bit - ideally they will not interfer/overlap with neighbouring pc/creatures or non-walkable squares. This should go a long way to make this random, idle movement feel more "integrated"/"rooted" into the gameworld. We will see -it's tricky to do this right, especially when factoring in the multisquare creature types as movers and obstacles as well.

Also, I am doing various bug fixes and polishing stuff left and right all the time. It's a bit intimidating and embarrassing how much stuff to improve I find while playtesting the tutorial module. Well, on the other hand that's fine for its own merits -the way is really the goal with IB. And the constantly arising new challenges (and improvements in the end), make it all the more fullfilling to walk this beautiful mountain road :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:47 am

Rooting the idle movers into the game world (respecting obstacles, height differences, etc) worked very well - I have it up and running for encounters (yet untested though for larger creatures) as well as the adventure map now. It's a subtle, but rather cool little improvment. The creatures/NPC appear much less floaty now while they do their little idle dance - the illusion of them really living on their map is much stronger this way.

And now back to building the great outdoors :) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:22 pm

I'm very intrigued by the change to combat floating.

I also had a look at the tutorial dungeon -- I found the key and disarmed some traps, but was eventually clobbered by kobolds. I liked seeing the active searching SP use in action. Cool stuff.
zach_holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions