Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:30 am

Wonder wether ports will be props or triggers. We will have to change their graphic when the party leaves the port with veseel (from vessel itself to empty port).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:53 am

There might be a list on gv.mod level with current current travel attributes of party. The terrain type must be in this list for the party to enter square. Port will always be in it. Leaving a port towards land is always possible, too. Vessels rewrite this list on boarding. On leaving vessels its constructed anew (default land added, also maybe other types for items, see below).

Items get a new property for allowing terrain type traversel once gaining the item (added to inventory). When dropping the item, the entry is removed form the list in gv.mod, too (or actaully do not allow dropping them, see below). This way certain regions of the world might require special equipment to enter them (think winter equipment for frozen areas, hazards suits for contaminated areas, etc). Likely best to actually forbid dropping these items to prevent stuck situations :mrgreen: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:24 am

Authors might be able to define for terrain types in toolset what the consequences of trying to step on them without the correct entries in the traversel attribute list are, like:

1. Not allowed to enter
2. x Damage to hp per y step(s)
3. x Damage to sp per y step(s)
4. Time per step needed increased by x percent (which eg will consume rations much faster)

Maybe also:
5. first contact message when rerquirment not met
6. Addiitonal message each step when requirement not met

This way a party might eg risk to venture into extreme climates without proper equipment, but it will eventually kill or weaken the party substantially. Nice stuff for adding depth to exploring the gameworld, I think :) .

Maybe a fith setting migth be an overide of these restrcion by Traveller trait with a certian skill level.
7. tag of trait for overide
8. overide DC
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:08 am

Hit a little road bump - while debugigng the minable props, I found a bug with secret doors and bridges. It roots rather deep, so it will take me some time to sort this out unfortunately.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:33 pm

Yucky road bumps :P Karl the smasher is on the way to smooth them out :D

Exciting items in that task list!
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:32 am

I like the sound of Karl, the Smasher :mrgreen: ! Karl, the Surgeon or even Karl, the Accountant would be more helpful for avoiding these bugs in the first place though :lol: , but being Karl, the Smasher is obviously more fun :D !

That said, happy to report this nasty road bump bug smashed. Bridges and secret door props work correctly again and as bonus I polished drawing of party torch halo (not drawn now even if walking into the pillars of the bridge while under it) and party tail (is still drawn if the main player icon is already under the ridge now).

Minables show their debris grahic when smashed and also add an item to party inventory if set up to do so. There's still a bug with the differnt stage graphics that show how severely damaged the target prop/tile tile already is though. Won't get boring :lol: ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:21 am

Sound and destruction stage graphcis work out fine now.

Currently, before tackling the vessel/traversel attribute system described above, I am trying to improve performance a bit. I identified drawWorldMap and drawUI to eat away the most milliseconds by far. In drawWorldMap I have already an idea that might make it faster, significantly hopefully: Currently the engine calculates for each tile layer anew (1-5) whether the tile itself is on current area and where it has to placed onscreen if it is actually read in from a neighbouring area. This calculation is not neccessary per layer, but actually only once per tile. I have to nest the loops a bit differently here, we will see 8-) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:29 pm

Hey all, I've been plugging away at Malkin in between grading and other work, and it's going well. I'm excited to try some of these new additions! I have a question about day/night settings -- is the night cycle using the dusk tile now? I haven't changed anything on my end, but the night tile doesn't appear to be used.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:55 pm

Hey Zach, great to read you and hear from your progress with Malkin :).

The regular night cycle will use a tile called tint_night.png from your module's graphic folder (or if not existent the default module's graphic folder).

In areas that use the light system the engine will use four different fields for the night tint though (to assemble/puzzle the correct light effect from them):
night_tile_NE.png
night_tile_NW.png
night_tile_SW.png
night_tile_SE.png

All from default module's graphic folder.

Edit: corrected the file names.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:23 pm

I made great progress with performance optimization:

- Some surplus tiles offscreen will not be attempted to be drawn anymore and the code for positioning a tile from a neighbouring map correctly is called per tile now (instead for each of a tile's layers).

- Text will have a thinner black border now. This has a huge performance effect - the black line consist of 9 draw calls for each text entry instead of 25 draw calls now. That adds up tremendously with lots of different text entries on screen.

The combined changes add about +40% increase in frame rate on my notebook. The game feels much more responsive this way which really makes me happy here. A drawback is that the new text looks a bit more light weight, but is still very well readable.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions