Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:35 pm

IB Beta v160 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9py6303ld5xlj ... 0.zip?dl=0

- really happy to have fixed an issue with party tail scrolling that's been plaguing me for hours - tail will respect height levels now even on sharp turns after party bumped into an obstacle
- completed optional player animation system (100x500; five frames: default, attack, walk, idle and breathe Frames, in this order); the engine autodetects frame size and uses animations accordingly; works for all members of the party tail, too ("ant hive")
- fixed little scrolling bug that could occur when using movePartyToLastLoaction script
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Furthermore, I have repaired the broken links to the last few beta versions on dropbox (thanks to Zach for making me aware of the issue). I had accidentally deleted these files on dropbox, but could restore them again.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Tue May 28, 2019 5:07 pm

Hey there, thanks! Taking a look now...
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 28, 2019 6:45 pm

Awesome :) ! The Tutorial Module has a 100x500 sprite sheet (the blue crossbow wielding guy) and premade character using this. The guy is named Fluent. Add him to the party and you can see the party animations. Movement is best done via keys (arrows or wasd), keep pressed for walking or do single presses for controlled steps. You can use mouse down and hold onscreen, too, though (ou use the arrow panel).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Tue May 28, 2019 6:47 pm

The scrolling works very well, and I've also added some animations for one sprite that look pretty cool. One hitch: the conversation with which the game begins needs to be triggered manually now, I think owing to scrolling -- toggling it off makes it work again. Would it be possible for a new script to toggle scrolling off and on? If so, I could activate it after the conversation fires (and any other place where something similar happens).
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:10 pm

IB Beta v161 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bu5kz5eg3j6ay ... 1.zip?dl=0

- fixed bug with activating triggers directly on start of module and when being transitioned straight onto a trigger via script/event
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 28, 2019 8:17 pm

Hey Zach, the above version should allow the triggers on start of module and those directly transitioned to to work, even with scrolling being activated. Please let me know if other issues pop up, this is immensely helpful :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed May 29, 2019 1:53 am

Amazing work! It's fixed. Implementing these animations was a great idea. The game world really comes to life with them. I'll keep testing and let you know if I encounter any other issues.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 am

Currently I am looking into prop scrolling:

I would like to link it a bit more to the current scrolling speed of the party (using this very speed for normal prop moves and double amount for props doing a double move this turn).

Ideally, I would also find a way to prevent props from halting between two moves. This is imho directly related to the real time component of the game: in the tutorial adventure a new turn happens every eight seconds. If a prop would need exactly eight seconds a square here, it would move continously (very slowly of course). The gameworld would evolve in slowmo around the party this way when the party just stabds around abd smells the flowers :) . This could lead to another immersion increase if all wirks out well. The slowmo would only affect the moving props and only theur walking animation actually. Idle and breathe would just happen normally. I have yet to decide how to handle the random little dance they do right now in such a setup. Likely wirh the same speed as real walking itself.

So, on a party move the slowmo speed will be replaced by current party speed (or twice amount of it on a double move). But there is more to this: The prop has not only to cover one full square (or two, double move) once the party moves, but also whatever fraction is left of the square it is currently traversing:

If the prop has just to complete that fraction and has no new move this turn, its speed could just be party speed (it reaches its destination square somewhere midparty move then).

If it has to complete the fraction and go another square (or two), it would need significantly hugher speed than current party speed. The idea here is that party and prop reach the destination of this turn simultaneously.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the party can change move speed midmove, which has to be reflected in prop speed accordingly.

Speed recalculation for prop has therefore to happenon render likely, but only if pary speed is changed from last render call. Could use update(elapsed) better maybe for better structure.

WIP
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri May 31, 2019 3:38 pm

After pulling quite a bit of my own hair out (ouch!), I have continous scrolling of props up and running as long as the party stands just by and watches. Looks really beautiful to see them glide around smoothly with no hiccups.

Now I have to look into harmonizing this prop scrolling with party scrolling (see above for the battleplan)...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions