Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:20 pm

I haven't had any waypoint issues so far and have had many areas open at the same time (not the best way to work, I realize -- it's the same way with my browser at all times.) :)

I've been adding more general items to the game for use in combat, and I've noticed some inconsistency in how they work in the player's combat turn. Sometimes, these items (healing potions and scroll-like items that have a spell attached) will consume the player's turn, and sometimes they won't. I've been able to use two in a row on the same turn, and at other times the turn ends after using one. It doesn't seem as if changing the spell's turn usage settings affects the use of the item. Perhaps there's a setting I'm missing?
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 6:40 pm

Glad to hear wp mode in toolset seems more stable :) .

And many thanks for the heads up on item usage in combat. It's tricky to analyze without knowing spells and items involved. Does this inconsistent behaviour occur with the very same item, ie sometimes the same usage of the same healing potion ends turn and sometimes not? Or do different items show different behaviours? Generally, soell settings for free action or swift action should influence item usage, too. But this depends also on the way the spell is tied to the item and on the type of the spell. Old items/old soells to jump through the same hoops as new items/spells... more later...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:33 pm

I haven't been able to isolate anything consistent, alas. The same items will behave differently at different times: sometimes they end the turn and sometimes they don't. I'm uploading a video to YouTube now that will show you what I mean -- I'm using two items, both a reskin of the standard minor healing potion and a custom item that calls a spell. If you watch the first 1:38 or so you'll see all the different behaviors. Maybe you'll notice something I haven't.

Here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtJaHwtPLHQ
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:21 am

Thank you very much for the additional info and the great video, Zach :) . I could replicate the issue with the standard minor healing potion - looks like when using an item after at least one move the turn is not ended. If you then immediately use an item again in the same turn, the move is ended. If you instead take another step after first item use, you again get a free usage. A very weird connection of movement and item usage. I have a foot in the door now, investigating...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Dec 12, 2019 7:36 am

Additional oddities while testing:
- summoned ally can access inventory via mouse button, but nit shortcut i
- code thinks that using the mknor healkng potion is true casting (source player, consuming sp...)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Dec 12, 2019 2:21 pm

You're welcome, of course! Interesting...the version of the potion I'm using doesn't seem to consume SP, and the stones don't either. Could be that I've disabled the spell option tying casting to player's level?
zach_holbrook

Postby slowdive » Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:03 pm

Bugs aside, this video is sooo freakin awesome! Can't wait to play this on my iPad (or PC) :D
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby zach_holbrook » Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:12 pm

Thanks! Some day soon...
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:46 pm

IB v181 released - no liabilities, no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9025gb8oflbwm ... 1.zip?dl=0

- fixed bug connected with ending combat turn on item usage (many thanks to Zach for pointing to it!)
- fixed bug that prevented summoned allies from opening inventory in combat via hotkey i
- made sure that spells called from using items never cost sp
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:50 pm

Awesome! Downloading and eager to check it out.
zach_holbrook

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions