Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Fri May 26, 2017 6:52 am

I am into the combat pathfinding right now. Getting a good handle on this will surely help with AI coding (and that will help with the charm/control spells yet to do). After getting my head around this, it's traits (the issues Phil/Pongo mentioned) and documenting the - already implemented - temporary ally/summon feature (so Zeke can set up epic battles between dozends of battlers on each side :) ).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Sun May 28, 2017 3:38 pm

These days I am away from my lovely PC. But hey, the weather outside is good so I guess a few days under the sun won't hurt :lol:

I've always loved when playing some FRUA modules with some big "army" clashes, so I am eager to create such a scenario of mine.
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 29, 2017 7:35 am

Same here, Zeke :) . More RL stuff than coding in the last few days. Still, I poured the one or other hour into pathfinding in encounters this weekend. The oversized creatures are really tricky - they have one moving square (upper left) but drag a whole large body of up to three addtional squares with them. Not only have they to respect their whole body when it comes to where they can go (cannot squeeze through narrow corridors, cannot push their "belly" into wall or upon another living creature/pc, etc.), but they also have to use the reach that this body grants cleverly (no need to try to connect via top left moving square, when a bottom square can touch the target pc, too).

I *think*' I got this working quite stable now (on my test encounter, who knows which other constellations you guys will find) - it feels cool to see my large creature rage within the narrow confinements of a room that has exits too small for the large creature to pass through :lol: .

Had a hang up with ending turn for my large creature though on last test, mmmpf. The creature was offscreen (near screen border though), had just attacked (log entry already there) and I had moved the camera. I think it's animation cache was not properly cleared and therefore it did not end its turn (or soemthing in this direction :roll: ). Investigating... afterwards I will push out the next beta and invite you to do some heavy testing of large creatures thumping around (plus an army of temporary allies for the player, too, to have the full monty of an epic army vs. huge dragon fight :mrgreen: ).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon May 29, 2017 10:17 am

Good work Karl! I have a giant frog that I can test this with. :)

Will the big creatures all be 2x2, or will there also be a 1x2 size? (eg like the trolls in Gold Box)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:28 am

Thank you, Phil :D ! The bulk of the work is directly from Jer, I just try to fix the botches I did while synching with IBMini (and maybe extend it a bit and adjust it for the specifics in IB2's combat).

Yes, creature sizes available are:
normal, 1x1
wide, 2x1
tall, 1x2
large, 2x2

I have tested only large (2x2) so far, but the code for the other sizes is in already, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon May 29, 2017 11:41 am

Good work Jeremy as well then! :) I remember we used to have some of these options, it will be good to get them back again. It seems like only a small thing, but for some reason the variety in token sizes makes a big difference in aesthetics.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:34 pm

IB2 Beta v51 released - no liabilities/no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idqoyuajheqoe ... 1.zip?dl=0

- work on pathfinding of oversized (and to an extent normal sized cretaures) creatures in combat
- various other little things
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:31 am

Next beta will contain the summon ally spell. I have run into issues with turn order and initiative bar when casting the spell. These issues dont occur with summons done by scrips called on start of encounter.

In the end there will be:
- a spell to summon a temporary ally (including duration in turns and a target point for the ally to appear; the spell can summon any "pc" (which can be made to appear as a creature) made in player editor beforehand)
- a spell to summon enemy creatures (cast by enemy spell casters; these will be "real" creatures, again targeted and with duration in turns)
- the option to add as many allies or enemies as wanted via scripts (either at start of encounter, each round or when stepping on triggers)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 30, 2017 3:57 pm

Fixed the issue with turn order and initiative. Summon temporary ally spell is up and running. Feels pretty cool to create a minion army :mrgreen: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue May 30, 2017 6:56 pm

youngneil1 wrote:IB2 Beta v51 released - no liabilities/no warranties, use at your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/idqoyuajheqoe ... 1.zip?dl=0

- work on pathfinding of oversized (and to an extent normal sized cretaures) creatures in combat
- various other little things

I downloaded version 51 today, and pleased to report on an encounter I just ran with a large (2x2) enemy.

Attack bonuses are working. And I had the party hang back to let the creature approach, which it did. I was surprised to see it get an attack of opportunity when our cleric tried to cast a hold spell... was interrupted, failed the will save, and lost the spell. Next time, the cleric got hit again, but he was able to save versus the interruption and cast the spell. Very good to see these mechanics now included. It will lead to more tactical positioning, wanting to keep your casters out of harm's way. And I can see this disrupting battle plans, as spells can potentially fail. Great job, youngneil1.

Also, the year 1295 is correctly showing in the game I loaded.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions