Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby Dorateen » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:09 pm

Sounds great. I'm already thinking about adding a necromancer who summons undead. That will be fun.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:45 pm

Closer to that necromancer than ever, Dorateen :D - IB2 Beta v53 released, use at your own risk, no liabilities/no warranties:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ib5qsx1jiz92p ... 3.zip?dl=0

- completed the full summoning suite, documentation will follow likely tomorrow (new spells and scripts should appear automatically once you go into the corresponding wizards/editors)
- if you feel too much stuff appears, just delete the spells/traits/ibscripts/effects from default module and then also from your module; this way they will not reappear again)
- the exmaple spell for summoning a bear ally (pc) requires a character with the name bearAlly (in the data folder, like bearAlly.json, created with the player editor of the toolset), so just change that spell script parm to the pc you would like to summon
- much stuff is already commented in the tooltips in the toolset
- you will find a summon spell example for summoning a temporary pc as well as a temporay enemy, alos corresponding gaAdd... scripts have been added (so you can set your battle up using these scripts, eg to have the player in control of a few townguards or have a new enemy appear each new round, etc.)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:07 am

Good work! Summoning spells will really mix things up in combat.

My next job with the "city project" is going to be weather effects, which again I've never used before. I may be posting questions later this week! :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:45 pm

A pleasure - keep the questions coming, Phil.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 6:16 am

So, after cast duration & interruption system, oversized creatures in encounters, animated atlacks of opportunity and summon spells/scripts all in (at least in a basic iteration), I wonder what my next task will be...

I think I will first do a little list with the ideas you guys had during the past few weeks here and see then where to start :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:45 am

Work in progess...

Zach:
Hello all, is there a way to change the text you get on fully resting when using the script? I want to restore HP and SP but not tell the player that the characters have rested to do this.

Zeke:
Are there plans for Dominate/Charm Spell? I guess, if the allies are a separate object from a monster, it will make it harder. Unless there is an algorithm that converts a monster object into player character (ally) midbattle.

Phil:

With regards to lights (eg, the torches Dorateen is adding to Hearkenwold) - can the light sources be set to trigger at certain times of the day? Eg if you had an outdoor map and only wanted the torches to appear lit at night-time?

Also, is it possible to use the passage of time to trigger events? Eg, a distant city is being approached by a barbarian horde; if the PC gets there within three months of game time the city is preparing for the battle; if the PC arrives after three months they just find a smoking ruin.

First, a lot of traits will have levels - "Intimidate level 1", for example - which gives scope for getting improved traits as the module progresses. This is great, but opens the possibility of the character sheet being filled with traits that have since been surpassed. To avoid clutter, perhaps we could have an option where a new trait can trigger the deletion of an old trait? Once the PC has achieved "intimidate level 2", for example, "intimidate level 1" is deleted and no longer shows up in the character's trait screen.

Also, there was talk of cool-downs a couple of weeks back - if not used for magic, they might still be useful for traits. Eg, you could give the character class a fairly kick-ass trait and then let it only be used once per day (such as the Paladin's "lay on hands" or the Kensai's "Kai"). You can get this working with spell points, but that opens opportunities to game the system a bit by using SP potions etc.

Related (youngneil1):
Traits/special powers only usable a certain number of times in an interval are indeed an often used approach in D&D. There are lot of setups thinkable - the listed ones seem most relevant to me(?):
- usable x times in 24h
- usable x times after the last rest
- usable x times per battle
- cooldown of x battle rounds required before a new usage is possible
I think I will try to make this (optionally) applicable to spells, too. The remaining usages could be dispalyed as numbers on top of the trait/spell icon (maybe in different colors for the different intervalls). Same for the cooldown counter (at another position than the usage counter to differntiate these).

Related (Jer):
Traits are only passive for now (the trait script doesn't actually do anything yet), all though we will need to make them have both active and passive as they did in IB1. I would guess that activated Traits (such as power attack, stunning attack, hide in shadows, etc.) would work very similar to the way spells do. Although, maybe if they just consume SP for each round that they are active would be the way to go...or both options. So maybe passive (always active, no SP like Cleave), active (toggle on/off and consume SP while on like for power attack), use (like a spell, but under the trait name for non spell casters...so takes the players turn to apply the effect like for Lay on Hands or Remove Disease and uses SP). Thoughts?

Related (youngneil1):
Good thoughts on the traits there, some ideas:

Togglable traits (free action): great idea as activating or deactivatign these will not consume an action, allowing some addtional free choices. Depending on the trait and time when the sp or other cost is paid, we might need to make sure they are not actviated and then deactviated in the very same round. This might be highly trait specific though.

Castable traits (end turn like cast or attack): Just like spells but under a different label (and mayhaps different button in combat interface). Also, some might cost HP instead/in addition to SP, some might also have a cooldown timer /number of usages per battle restriction (see below).

Cooldown timer: In order to differentiate traits further from spells, some traits migth have cooldown, allowing e.g. to use them every 3 combat rounds only.

Usage restriction: Other traits might have a limited number of uses per battle.

I think I'm having a similar problem with a trait called "powerful blows", which should give the PC +1 damage with melee weapons. On the character screen the damage stays at +0 when a melee weapon is equipped (on a character without a strength bonus). I'm also trying to put in a trait for "accurate strike" to give a +1 BAB that doesn't seem to change the BAB. I'm not sure if this means that they aren't working correctly, or that they are being applied but just aren't showing on the character screen?

A low priority suggestion.
I've noticed that quite often a prop's text triggers twice in quick succession, leading to the text appearing doubled and overlaid. It happens to one of the guards in the video I uploaded earlier, for example. Weirdly, even when set at a 5% chance of the text appearing this double trigger thing seems to happen quite often (ie, you won't get the text for ages, but when it appears it appears twice or more).
It's not a big issue, but perhaps it could be set up so that once an overhead text has triggered there is a slight time gap (eg 5 seconds or so) before it can re-trigger?

youngneil1:
Then, I think, I will look into effects a bit more thoroughly (see eg above thoughts for affectOnly/affectNeverList).

Afterwards some work on encounter mechanics: reload weapon system, delay turn, maybe highlight AoO threats, event squares and victory conditions.

Followed by optional voice over, an easy way to set up a series of intro screens (or other story telling via slide show with pictures with text underneath). Basically like a convo, somewhat modified (picture size, placement of anraative text and contine option).

Please note that the "schedules" feature has still to be fleshed out. In the end this will allow different waypoint lists for the very same mover (with differnt bark strings). So, there might be a morning patrol route and an evening patrol route for the same guard, saying good mornign or good evening when appropriate. Lots of possibilities, we just need more time :lol: .

Jer:
We could probably add a property to the module class for staying module with music on so builders can choose. May also be nice to have a module specific theme music that plays during character creation, title screen, etc
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Zeke » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:04 am

Pfft, nice progress there! I'm eager to try all the new stuff but a lot of real life stuff is going on here and I'm just not able currently.

I would be happy for any new feature that you add. Just take the one that you think will give you most fun :)
Zeke

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:48 pm

That's good advice, Zeke, I will just stumble ahaed (as always) :) . Real life is extraordinarily busy here, too, right now, so the project moves slowly these days... but move it does :D .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:19 am

I opted to start with this suggestion here form Phil/Pongo:

First, a lot of traits will have levels - "Intimidate level 1", for example - which gives scope for getting improved traits as the module progresses. This is great, but opens the possibility of the character sheet being filled with traits that have since been surpassed. To avoid clutter, perhaps we could have an option where a new trait can trigger the deletion of an old trait? Once the PC has achieved "intimidate level 2", for example, "intimidate level 1" is deleted and no longer shows up in the character's trait screen.

I will try to do this also for spells. This way, we could have - if an author wishes so - a system like in the Might and Magic series, where eg a grandmaster ranked spell replaces a master ranked spell.

I have a first iteration in for traits on level up. I will transfer this to spells, too. Then I think a script solution is also needed (eg a add a new trait/spell rank as quest reward/training result and correctly remove the preceding lower ranked version and its lingering permanent effects).

Note to self: I forgot adjusting the extra situational list with traits for combat, outside combat and always, doh.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:25 am

Good work Karl - that's a big list! As Zeke says, work on whatever you find fun.

youngneil1 wrote:I opted to start with this suggestion here form Phil/Pongo:
I will try to do this also for spells. This way, we could have - if an author wishes so - a system like in the Might and Magic series, where eg a grandmaster ranked spell replaces a master ranked spell.

Thanks. Yeah, I've been giving a lot of thought to traits and spells and how they can link to exploration, and I have a Might and Magic style system in mind for the next module. I haven't quite worked out how it all fits together though (at the minute a magic user would have loads more trait options than a fighter, for example, and they need to be a bit more evenly balanced). The idea in basic form is that even things like +BAB are taken through traits rather than automatically gained during level up (or maybe I'll just slow the rate down to and allow +BAB as a bonus - eg a fighter gets +1BAB every three levels but can improve that through focusing on the +BAB trait during level-up etc). The top tier (grandmaster) would require a trainer / or something found somewhere in a dungeon and would give access to more "quality" skills (eg additional attacks).

So, in short, I'm planning to use what you're working on! :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions