Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:17 am

Very inspiring read about your plans for the trainer/exploration system, Phil :) . This will be very cool - earning special abilites or upgrades besides/instead the usual leveling path is a strong motivation for players to explore every nook & cranny. It connects these abilities more closely to the gameworld and makes them feel very special, too.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:53 am

It's a bit more tricky than I initially thought (to no one's surprise, sigh :lol: ) to get the replacement system for traits & spells right.

This is due to a whole variety of factors:
- (partially) different code paths for level up and character creation
- the "exit" button, rewinding all changes done so far in trait/spell slection screens (or delaying all definite changes till all is done)
- the consecutive nature of first trait screen, then spell screen, while an exit click on spell screen rewinds what has been done in trait screen
- the need to remove lingering permanent effects correctly
- different handling of trait and spell when it comes to detection of when which can be used (in battle, outside only, always)
- handle traits and spells automatically awarded to player to correctly, especially when the manual selection screens are never called upon (due to a lack of manually selectable fitting traits/spells)

Most of these little troubles come form my unstructured implementation of parts of these system in IB2, but I roll with my own punches here :roll: :lol: , dont worry :) .

Good thing is I also discovered some general trait related bugs I made when it comes to the level up situation.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:00 am

I hadn't even considered any of those things! I can see how it might be difficult. Good luck. Of course, feel free to prioritise a different area if you think the effort outweighs the benefits here...
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:57 am

It will work out in the end, no worries. And it certainly is worth it, I look forward using this for my own adventures a lot, too :). I just wish I was more experienced/structured (and maybe would not need to do most of my coding in a crowded tram :lol: ) - then expanding and building on existing code would be much easier. But as this is not the end but the beginning of the road, my coding might get a bit better over time.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:36 am

Slower than I would wish for here right now, but almost done with the first iteration of replacable spells and traits. This will the require a lot of testing though to make sure all possible endings are tied up correctly..
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:18 am

Great work Karl. I'm happy to get stuck into testing spells and traits when you upload the new version. I had an idea for a short, cartoony horror module that I might try to knock up quickly* with it.

* subjectively quickly, anyway
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby zach_holbrook » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:04 am

A note of encouragement from me! I've been impressed by all the work you've been putting into IceBlink.
zach_holbrook

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:10 am

Thank you a heapload, Phil and Zach :). Any new modules are more than welcome, as is all feedback from testing out stuff :D . Still slower here than I would like to be, but I guess that's normal with hobby development. I have set up a little testing exp giver here and just replaced the first trait after leveling up and choosing a higher tier of the same trait , yeah :) . So we are on a good track, but I already see at least one bug to fix/omission to fill (the replaced trait appears as choosable on next level up again and is also shown on info screen as available for selecting; will likely do a list on palyer object that stores all traits/spells that have been repalced and blocks those for level up/info screens).

I might stick a bit to this area of work and afterwards deal with some these topics (while my mind is around these code sections):

- more roster control (so it's not always accessible, but maybe only in tavern/homebase/etc.)
- reset trait and spell choices (ie respec option)
- double check that info shown on party screen takes all new effects/traits into account
- better graphic indicators for already learned and availabe trait (red and yellow frames right now)
- on portrait little icon, maybe a "+" sign, indicating level up is available (from main screen)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am

Could smuggle in a bit more development time finally - the omission I described above (replaced traits/spells still shown as available for re-selection) should be fixed now. I still have to test the fix though ;) ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:39 pm

I replaced permanent effect traits successfully, too, now (like a trait with strength+2 replaced by another one with strength +4).

Furthermore, the system will allow to have "alternative" traits, which replace each other. This way players will have to make choices from time to time, forsaking one trait to gain another.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions