Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Coding Task List - Before IB2 Initial Release

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:05 am

Traits will now have (all optional):

- attribute requirements (as many as you like for STR, DEX, CON, INT, WIS and CHA)
- a required prerequisite trait (required trait)
- a trait which it replaces (replaced trait)
Note: the trait replacement (1) removes the replaced trait should the player character already have it and (2) also prevents the player character from ever gaining the replaced trait or any traits that are connected to it by chain of trait requirements (eg if the trait strength +2 is replaced by dexterity +2 (imagine two different paths for character developemnt, dex or strength focused), then the traits strength +4 (req. strenght +2) and strength + 6 (req. strentgh +4) will never appear as (later) available in info or level up screen).

Note to self: double check that the just selected trait that replaces its predecessor is not instantly deleted because it required its replaced predecessor (eg player character chooses strength +4, this repuires strength +2 and also replaces strength +2; a replaced strength + 2 will block all traits that require strength +2 including the just taklen strength + 4, but also via chain strength +6 and so forth... mmmhh; maybe limit the replacement chain effect to situations where the replaced trait (strength +2) is NOT a requiremnt of the chosen trait (strength +4)...), ie no chain replacemnt in case of vertical ascension within a trait thread.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:37 am

Awesome work Karl! Looking forward to this update.

As mentioned earlier, I'm starting to work on a new module that will make use of this. I'll post about it in more detail by the end of the month in the appropriate section, but the basic premise is "what would happen if Dark Souls had been made as a party based RPG... in 1982!" :) I'm using incredibly lo-fi 1-bit sprites and tileset, with a view to focusing on character development, exploration, leveling up (with a traits system based on Might and Magic rather than D&D), and combat mechanics. My city based module (which is much more narrative driven with much more colorful graphics and vocal NPCs) will go on hold while I put it together.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:57 am

"what would happen if Dark Souls had been made as a party based RPG... in 1982!"

Awesome concept and punchline/claim! It checks all the rigth boxes for me, keep it coming :)! I already look forward to dying... a lot :twisted: :mrgreen: !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:40 am

Heh yeah! The trick is going to be making it challenging but not frustrating.... got lots of design ideas for this based on some of the changes to IB that you've introduced (eg wandering high level monsters), so we'll see how it goes.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:40 pm

IB2 Beta v54 released - no liabilities/no warranties, you on your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wki4m0pl48jf2 ... 4.zip?dl=0

- first iteration of replacable traits and spells is in (more on this in separate post - this one has quite large implications on character building options as it e.g. also allows for alternative traits; also a Might&Magic like system with ranks of spells and traits replacing preceding ranks is now possible; much of this is not thorughly tested due to the rather high number of possible scenarios here, so keep the feedback coming); note: still need to add script function for adding such traits and spells outside level up correctly, ie doing the replacement as intended...
- added a new encounter property (is FriendlyContest): the game continues despite losing such an encounter, also all pc with negative hp are restored to 1 and considered alive, regardless of losing or winning such contest (note: this might actually revive a character who was dead prior the start of the Encounter already, must add some check for this later; the on end combat ib script hook is called, too, even when losing such contest)
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:54 pm

OsAddSpellToPlayer and osAddTraitToPlayer already exist - they are just not fully up to date (eg no permanent effect code for traits, also both lack the replacement code so far). Looking into updating them now...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 9:34 pm

IB2 Beta v55 released - no liabilities/no warranties, you on your own risk:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ui361p49h2wyo ... 5.zip?dl=0

- osAddSpellToPlayer and osAddTraitToPlayer should now correctly replace spells/traits and also - in case of traits - add permanent effects
- please note that when adding spells/traits manually via these scripts, no requirments attribtes, prerequisite traits) are checked; best do this in the dialogue steps prior to calling these scripts
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:45 am

Thanks! Downloaded, and testing has begun. :)
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:56 am

Awesome, testing myself here too... I expect a bumpy ride :roll: :lol: ...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:22 pm

Good news, I just made a working convo where a spell trainer gives the expert version of a spell to those characters only who know the adept version already. The adept version is correctly replaced in the process.

I had to add new script like gcCheckHasSpell for this to work (already in place for traits). Will upload you an update with it next...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions