Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Discuss anything in general about the IceBlink Engine + Toolset project (or anything else) here.

Re: Slowdive's Little Daily Blog

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:01 pm

It's alive and kicking - feels very good to see those screenshots :D ! You did an amazing and very swift job there!

There's a lot of sorting and adjusting to be done for small screens, for sure (also for wide screens, like for the 21:9 ratio that I have sitting here). The main map traits bar at the top right corner will not be needed for Blackwinter and as you wrote a lot of elements yet have to find their correct place, but still, it feels like a small wonder to see this happen.

But now... Merry Christmas to all of you :) ! Enjoy this time to cuddle in comfortably and eat like there's no tomorrow, hehe :mrgreen: :D !
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:14 am

I'm working on creating a Google Play page for IceBlink Engine (IBx) that will start with the Beta program. It will only be available to those whose choose to enroll in the beta program. I will do a similar set-up with iOS and Testflight.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby slowdive » Sun Dec 29, 2019 7:42 pm

I posted an Android beta version of IBx to Google Play in an Internal Testing channel. If you would like to be added to the internal testing, please send me your gmail address and I'll add you to the testing team list (only works with gmail accounts). It is nowhere close to being finished, but it kind of runs so I wanted to give the team a chance to see what it looks like on a tablet and/or phone. It comes with "Blackwinter" built-in, but you can add your module to the "modules" folder on your android device. I will be testing on a Chromebook as well.

It may take awhile for the first build to be approved and available on Google Play. I'll drop a note here once it is approved.

https://play.google.com/apps/internalte ... 9560214193

The above link will take you to the testing program if your gmail email is on the list.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Wow :D - that worked out amazingly well! Congratulations, Jer!

I have downloaded the test version and it starts up flawlessly on my note9. I is an incredible feeling to see the engine work on a smartphone screen, straigt up from a sci-fi movie if you ask me :).

Frist feedback:

The frame rate hovers around 15 on the first map. My laptop is more in 60 fps region most of the time, with occassional drops down to 20/30. Perhaps something could be done with eg render resoution to speed it up a bit again. On the other hand, that's still impressive speed for a computer targeted engine running on a phone.

Great choice to keep the number buttons for dialogue choices. Very convenient. There could be a bit more space between the buttons for easier selection.

The arrow pad for moving the party on main map is too small. It might also be positioned a bit higher.

Argh, have to go, more later..
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Dec 30, 2019 4:39 pm

The UI definitely needs work, but right not I’m just trying to get everything running without crashing :lol:

The FPS issue is one I have seen as well on all my mobile devices as well. Some devices run better than others and it depends on which screen you are on. If there are too many non drawing functions happening on each update cycle, this will slows things down. Ideally you only draw on the games clock ticks and only do other types of calculations as needed on the update cycle. IBbasic runs pretty fast with skiaSharp on my same devices, but it has much less going on during the game loop code. We’ll get there, but it’ll take more optimization work I’m guessing.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:18 pm

Yep, avoiding crashes seems a good priority :) . There's certainly a lot to optimize, no doubt about it. It get's especially power hungry once weather effects, seamlessly connected maps and a horde of movers combine, urgh :mrgreen: . But tiem is with us - these phones and tablets get faster pretty quickly, for sure :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:34 pm

I now have synced up the code in IBx to that in IB (at least up to the latest commit on GitHub). Now I will work on adding additional ui buttons for things that only have keyboard inputs in IB (aka, pan combat map, debug mode, etc.). I’ll also try and figure out a way to include hardware keyboard inputs for those using iPad Smart Keyboards, Bluetooth keyboards, or chromebooks.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:57 am

Awesome! Another instance of keybound only fetarue are the change current party leader keys (Q/E and A/D or left/right arrow, the later depending on whether wasd or arrow key controls are activated via toggle). H key shows the hotkeys onscreen.

Edit: Another observation - Blackwinter does not seem to use the scrolling functionality (ie new squares are stil uncovered blockwise). Correspondingly some advanced move controls do not work (like contionus movement via tapping and holding on screen). Also, all single tap moves always lead to the left (west), regardless of the positon of the clicked point relative to party. Holding down arrow key buttons also does not lead to coninous move (must double check whether this works in normal IB though).

Furthermore, the party tail behaves a bit differently than in IB - using diagonal moves instead of retracing the former steps of the party. But this is more a questions of fluff/preference than anything else :) .

Toggles in combat have to be clicked quite a bit below their icon to work.

Pressing movment keys on mainmap is surprisingly hard to get right - maybe the reactive area is different from the position where the button is drawn by a bit of offset?

Default move speed in ocmbat is much too slow compared to the perfomance of phones. I wonder whether the newest code I posted to github changes that as I normalized more stuff in combat (using elapsed).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Jan 02, 2020 11:22 am

Ah, tapping portraits works great for leader change, especially as the portraits are convenintly loacted on screen border.

I have no sound so far (main map, battle).

Looks like changing party leader does not affect the values of the 8 main map traits (top row). As Blackisle does not use these anyway, no biggie thoguh (worth investigating for later, might be just related to default setting being to use highgest in partry, do not remember right now...). I must look up how to disable showing the trait buttons for Blackisle...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:30 am

I fixed the issue with touch locations not matching up with draw locations. It seems that many of the IB2 type controls are using the oYshift in the hover and touch routines which was the problem. When I pass the eX and eY to the controls it already accounts for the shift so it was being accounted for twice.

I spaced out the number buttons for the conversation node selections. Much easier to select them now.

I still need to adjust the locations of the UI panels based on screen size...mostly the arrow buttons should be automatically moved to bottom right of screen instead of just below the portrait panel ending.

I still need to add some buttons for the hardware only hot keys.

So far, IBx plays well on my iPad (cheaper version of 5th gen), cheap Samsung android tablet, and a cheap HP Chromebook (on sale from Costco for $120). I get about 5-7 FPS on the main map and 20+ FPS on other screens. In contrast, IBbasic gets full FPS on all the same devices, but it has much less calculations happening on the draw part of the game loop. Once we have the game loop completely optimized, we'll probably be okay. Probably need to do game logic type updates a few times per second instead of trying to do them 60 times per second.

IBx is very promising and exciting so far. Full IB on the go. I copied the Tutorial Module over to my phone for testing as well. I also will copy Hearkenwold 174.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IceBlink Project Discussions