Toolset Bugs

Report any bugs or ideas/suggestions that arise during testing of the Alpha Build Version 2

Re: Toolset Bugs

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:18 pm

Not much that I can do to prevent the crashes - looks like a gradual thing: it becomes more stable, the smaller I go. But still even with 2.400 x 2.400 (48x48 squares) it crashes rather soon. We will see how it works out with the new version, but for now I plan a patchwork of standard size maps of 16x16 squares to be certain it will run good and stable later on even on medium/lower quality machines. Concerning the speed with which maps loads, this should work out well. Perhaps I will paint them much larger in Gimp and then cut them into 16x16 pieces. Placing transition points in a clever way will probably be the main trick.

I wonder if animations could run smoother on non-scrolling maps (i.e. no short stop of animation upon movement and scrolling as all squres woudl maintain their exact screen position all the time and would not have to be re-loaded)?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:44 pm

The problem was that with the animation code, I was refreshing the map on each move plus on each walking animation frame, but was not properly disposing the bitmaps...garbage collector is too slow for this situation. I fixed that issue and I haven't been getting the out of memory problem anymore. Tested with a 32x16 area. These uncompressed maps in memory are large and if you are creating many of them for each animation frame without disposing, you'll quickly crash...unless you wait a bit for the garbage collector to kick in. But again, I fixed that by manually disposing after they are used.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:22 pm

Alright, many thanks again for the explanation. So I guess map sizes that - with Alpha v2 - don't crash after the first few steps should be fine then next version. 32x16 sounds good for wide screen purposes (1920x1080 as res here).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to Alpha Build 2 Bugs and Ideas Reporting