[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
IceBlinkEngine.com • View topic - start conversation

start conversation

Request a script to be made and one of us fine community members will make it for you.

start conversation

Postby Dorateen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:23 pm

Is there a basic script that can be used to start a conversation, place in an area's On Enter, to fire the opening narration?

This is probably a known issue, but in the earlier toolset version, I was able to place a Conversation on the starting square and it would fire right after leaving the character creation screen. Now using a trigger, I have been getting a "conversation failed to open" message.

I believe it is better to use the On Enter method anyway, so I just need the script the fire the conversation.

Thanks!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Re: start conversation

Postby youngneil1 » Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:02 pm

I cannot try it right now (away from home pc), but this could work out by choosing "narration" (instead of "conversation") from the drop down list attached to the first event of the trigger on the starting square."Conversation" refers to conversations attached to an NPC, iirc. "Narration" actually means all kinds of normal dialogues triggered directly from the square with the trigger. Whether this works out for the very first square, I am not certain though.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:00 pm

I do have the Narration selected from the drop-down menu. If I'm not mistaken, I was not even able to select conversation from the trigger properties.

I believe this may have something to do with loading the character on the starting square and trying to fire the narration trigger.

With the On Enter parameters in the area properties, I think this is the appropriate place to put a conversation script for when the player first loads an area, either at the start of the module, or other areas transitioned to. I just need the right script to use.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:11 am

slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:01 am

So, I could try out starting a narration form the very first module starting square. Like Dorateen I got an "failed to open conversation error" message (with a narration that runs great at another spot). I circumvent that by having the very first narration on the second square and also I have added actually a few maps that are used like background pictures for some full screen intro, with an inivisible player sprite and map/image changes each step (still a bit messy, but it rudimentarily works... just need to add more art and text).

Later on I will try to use the OnEnterArea script hook and the script Jer provided above (which will be also very helpful for doing narration calls in other contexts).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 1:15 pm

Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:33 pm

Hey slowdive,

Below is the message I got when I created a Script event trigger on the starting square to run the new conversation script.

It had not fired from the OnEnter hook, so I was playing around with this method.

The conversation in question, simply called "Introduction" does fire from the trigger as a Narration event once in game (In other words, when I move back onto the square.) And the Introduction xml file does exist in the module folder.
Attachments
ErrorMessage.jpg
ErrorMessage.jpg (20.37 KiB) Viewed 6312 times
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:33 pm

No success here either. The error itself can be avoided by using this (added frm inbetween):

sf.frm.doNarrationBasedOnTag instead of sf.doNarrationBasedOnTag

But the narration is not fired (neither by script call or by the OnEnter script hook of an area).

Edit: Alright, my mistake. It works using sf.frm.doNarrationBasedOnTag via script called as event on a trigger.

Edit2: Still, it never works on the very first square you enter oncee starting the game (failed to open conversation).

Edit3: Note: This is really only true for the very start of the module. On later area changes calling that script form the starting square of a new area works fine. If I would have to guess, I would assume that the game does not know the conversation list prior the first move onto the very first square. Perhaps a little mixup in the order of initialisation of things?

Edit4: And finally I would also assume that the OnEnter area script hook is not working yet?
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:18 am

Okay, I tested it out and the problem was that when I introduced the new sound playing code for each conversation node, there was an issue with the order that objects were created. I had the doTriggers and OnHeartBeat code running just before the music/sound player objects were actually created. So when the convo tries to setup up the sound player for the start narration, the player hasn't been created yet and thus the error. But once the convo fails and is skipped, the sound player is then made so it the convo will work the next time entered. Anyway, I fixed it, but unfortunately you'll need to avoid using the start square for triggers/OnEnter/OnHeartBeats that use the sound player until the next alpha build is out (week or two).
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:35 pm

Thanks for looking into this, and thank you youngneil1, for doing some testing as well.

Sorry for causing trouble, slowdive, and I'll look forward to the next build that has this working. Heh, I need the introduction narration at the start, for atmosphere!!!!

Keep up the good work.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Return to Request a Script