Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:53 pm

July Update

OK, now that the Halls of Hamhock adventure is wrapped up, I can continue working on the main Hearkenwold campaign.

Something that I have been slowly implementing is the inclusion of class specific guilds for the characters to join. This will be accomplished by first meeting a sponsor, one of six NPCs scattered across the expanding gameworld. In fact, I have four of them that can already be encountered. A couple of examples are:

and

As you can see from the context of their conversations, the guilds they represent are related to specific player classes. Thus, I still need to add two more NPCs for the party to find.

From there, the player will have to access a sort of board or committee (called the Sphere of Guilds) and when prompted for the name of a sponsor, the keyword parser will pop up requiring input of the appropriate name. However, there will be quests attached to the application for membership, and this is a big part of the work I have to do. All the content, including encounters and conversations and new maps, will further broaden the scope of the gameworld.

Something else I am excited to explore is the Factions system that was implemented in IceBlink. I believe this can fit nicely with the idea of joining a guild, and once the player completes the requirements for an organization, they can be assigned to a "faction" representing the guild, with all the advantages accordingly.

Another important purpose for these guilds is how it is linked to the overarching adventure. In order to gain audience with the King, characters will have to be a member of one of the prestigious guilds. It's not necessary for all the members of the party to gain such distinction, but the option is therefor each character.

Right now, I have started with the Cleric guild content. I expect, as has been the pattern, it will likely occupy me for the next twelve months to get all six guilds and quests up and running. I might release updates in between, so there will be some partially implemented in the future.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:25 am

Wow, the guild system is a really intruiging prospect :) ! It will be a perfect fit for Hearkenwold and add even more depth to the whole gameworld. I already love how you present the first two contacts and it should be great fun to have each party member follow up with their own guild quest line. It is especially fittig for the open world structure as the player will be able to decide when and which of the guild quest lines to follow.

I also appreciate that you tie in the parser based input - it will make the player feel more like he truely achieved something (by finding the information, pinning it out down and then remembering it in the right conext). Testing out the faction system is most welcome, too. It is quite powerful, but yet largely untested in practice... so I fear the one or other bug might lurk there, but we squashed so many of them together in all these years that I am hopeful we will sort it out in the end :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:50 pm

youngneil1 wrote:Wow, the guild system is a really intruiging prospect :) !

Yes, the guild angle is something I have been planning since early in development. That's why these contacts started to pop up as I was building Hearkenwold. But in order to truly make the system work, I needed more of the game world in place so I could populate it with the other NPCs and related quests. I'm at that point now, and this gives me direction about what areas to design next. It is also at the stage of the narrative where joining the different guilds will have meaning.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Previous

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion