Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Mon May 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Working from version 105 of the toolset, I was able to get the keyword input boxes up in a couple of conversations. The way the script functions is actually quite brilliant. Thanks, youngneil1. Below is an example from a previous sequence that I had always intended to be a riddle with player word entry, rather than picking from a list of multiple choice options. I am so happy to now have that capability.

HearkRiddle.jpg
HearkRiddle.jpg (154.45 KiB) Viewed 1053 times

Over the weekend, I added another new dialogue, which also prompts the characters to answer a question. As a fan of keyword parsers, this system is really great and I can see has a lot of potential.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 22, 2018 5:31 am

Awesome, thank you for the great feedback, Dorateen :) ! I really like the keyword based interaction, too, as it keeps the player on his toes for clues when exploring the world.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Tue May 22, 2018 6:49 am

That looks great! I didn't know the toolset had that functionality. I recently played Grimoire and really enjoyed the keyword based interaction, it's a good challenge compared to drop down selection.

I think I know the answer to this riddle. :) Looking forward to playing this Dorateen, sounds like you're adding a tonne of really interesting content.
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 22, 2018 7:33 am

Hey Phil, the functionality is rather new, was added with beta v105. Here is how it works (in convos there are differnet ways to sort it in, just look at Dorateen's troll convo there):

- added gcCheckManualKeyboardInput.cs script:

//gcCheckManualKeyboardInput.cs - Checks whether the manual keyboard input of the player matches one of the required phrases/keywords in parm1 to parm3; if you leave/set parm1 to parm3 at "none", it will not be used for checking
//parm1 = (string) correct answer option 1
//parm2 = (string) correct answer option 2
//parm3 = (string) correct answer option 3
//parm4 = (string) The text above the input box, like "Say the name of the goddess of Thunder:"

Can be used from convo or trigger. It is not case-sensitive (capitalization) when it comes to comparing player input and expectd answer (to eliminate some potential annoyances). Also up to three correct answers can be defined (to help players). I enlarged the input window a bit, too (compared to character name input).

When using in convo please make sure it is a conditional to an NPC line (red). This line will then only be shown on correct answer. On false answer, the next red node of same hierachy will be shown. Do not place it on player nodes as it will otherwise be rechecked all the time, keeping the answer Input window open indefinetly. Do eg like so:

1.Player node: Ask your question!
a. (gcCheckManualKeyboardInput) NPC node: That is the correct answer!
aa.Player Node: Thanks, now here is my reward?
aaa. NPC Node: HEre you go (and so forth...)
b. NPC Node: This is the false answer.
aa. Player: Ah, a shame. Bye...
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Pongo » Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 am

Thanks Karl, that's great. I'm still on Beta version 93 I think, this is a very good incentive to upgrade to the latest version!
Pongo
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:26 am

Awesome - I made a little overview over the beta versions since v93 (summing up the changes as this info gets a bit lost in main beta thread where I also collect my chaotic thoughts):

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=549
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue May 22, 2018 2:34 pm

Thank you Pongo and youngneil1.

Pongo, I don't want to make a blanket statement like the new content "doubles the size" of Hearkenwold, but it does feel like a lot right now. I tried to take advantage of the functionality the toolset has added, especially in the newer areas . As for the riddle above, hopefully by the time anyone reaches that encounter they will forget about this post, ha.

Speaking of the input box, I did have the crazy idea that this could be used to replicate a crude form of "Name, Job, Bye" type conversations. Since there are three available spots for the script to take different player's responses. Although all the correct answers would lead to the same NPC response, so it would take some work to tailor it properly. Still, I wonder if it could be used to build exclusive keyword driven dialogues. That's something for another project...
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby jdelorie » Tue May 22, 2018 2:50 pm

this might be off topic but I am playing through on my Android phone and the clock will not change when I move and I can no interact with anything....
jdelorie

Postby Dorateen » Tue May 22, 2018 2:57 pm

jdelorie wrote:this might be off topic but I am playing through on my Android phone and the clock will not change when I move and I can no interact with anything....

Hi jdelorie,

OK, I saw the post you made in the engine bugs thread. This sounds like an Android specific issue, and unfortunately, I am only working on the PC build. I think slowdive would be the one to address this.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed May 23, 2018 7:10 am

Speaking of the input box, I did have the crazy idea that this could be used to replicate a crude form of "Name, Job, Bye" type conversations. Since there are three available spots for the script to take different player's responses. Although all the correct answers would lead to the same NPC response, so it would take some work to tailor it properly. Still, I wonder if it could be used to build exclusive keyword driven dialogues. That's something for another project...

Later down the road we might have another type of text input script (ideally as an action script then, attached to a player line). This would just read in the input (eg "job") and store it in a global variable. The following NPC nodes could then have a gcCheckGlobalVariable (int/string) script that looks for specific values that have been entered by the aforementioned action script (like looking for "job"). I think this should work, but often the devil is the details :roll: .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion