Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:24 am

Uhhh, those undead spirits in the last picture - they killed me quite often back then. It was one of the last encounters I cleared. Not to be underestimated :twisted: .

Fear/Turn Undead will require setting some overriding move to target. Sounds easy, but as all AI and pathfinding stuff I think it will be tricky in the end (eg set the correct move to points in relation to the position of the turning cleric/cause of fear and each affected undead's position, that is: all move away from cleric/fear source) . It will also unveil more directly that creatures do not suffer from AoO :lol: .

Tagging cretaures is already in, so you could flag a creature as "Undead" and make eg sleep spells effects not affect "Undead". Must look up the details again (should be some affectNeverList for effects and likely using local vars on the creature)...

Edit:
Here is what I wrote back then. The system also allows for effects that only work (affectOnly list) on undead and also is implemented for player characters, in the later case via using the tag of a trait instead of the value of a local stiring. This is just from meomry and my old notes there, still have to give it a more up to date testing run:

KARL: affectNever / affectOnly system for effects implemented (engine and toolset, e.g.for making undead immune to sleep effects); works via traits for player characters and local strings (value) for creatures
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:31 pm

youngneil1 wrote:
Tagging cretaures is already in, so you could flag a creature as "Undead" and make eg sleep spells effects not affect "Undead". Must look up the details again (should be some affectNeverList for effects and likely using local vars on the creature)...

That sounds like something I might have missed. Is it done by using the Faction property on a creature blueprint? I was thinking on some field the builders could enter keywords to associate with different monster types.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:16 pm

Look into the properties of a creature, 05 - CreatureLocalStrings. Click on the thre dots (...) . Then press the "Add" button and modify the right hand side "Value", by eg typing "Undead" (without "") there.

Open the effect editor for the effect to work with, look for 01 - Applicability, affectNeverList. Press the ... and "Add". Modify the Value entry by typing Undead.

You have now an effect that will never work on this creature (or all other creautres with local string with the value "Undead").

Works just the same for the affectOnlyList - in this case eg making the effect only work on Undead.

Player characters dont use local strings - instead the engine checks the known trait tags of a pc fir keywords appearing as values in the affectNever and affectOnly lists. You could eg make undead pc by assinging them a trait with the tag "Undead".
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:08 pm

That's great, youngneil1... expect some new goodies coming down the pipeline!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Awesome to hear - please keep me posted if you hit bugs or oddities during the process :) .
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Tue Nov 20, 2018 9:37 pm

November Update

I wanted to get around to putting together the Sixth Hall of Hamhock, but first I needed to complete the map on the level below, which allows the player to continue to climb through the mountain. Below is the other section of the Fifth Hall, showing the ramp that leads to the oversized door, and ascending passage beyond.

Also on the Fifth Hall, as well as the Fourth, are the residences of the Thanes who rule just below the King. The way the political structure of the Dwarves is organized, the King is descended from one of three houses: Hamhock, Faxcrest, or Deephill. Then the other two clans select their own respective leader called a Thane. In this present adventure, the two Thanes are from Deephill and Faxcrest. Below is one of the dwellings the party will get to visit and make a general nuisance of themselves.

But not every dwarf living in the mountain appreciates all the Thane has been through. Here's one recalcitrant fellow who is not shy about voicing his disapproval.

Basically, I can now move on to the Sixth Hall, and finish the highest level. Then the real work begins with the largest maps representing the base of the mountain. I suppose it's no surprise that is where the most dangerous areas of the adventure will be found. Unless you count navigating the minefield of a dwarf political power struggle.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Lots of delightful insights into the kingdom under the mountain :D. Dwarfish power struggles are portrayed with love to detail and a great atmosphere in book series "The Dwarves" by Markus Heitz - was an inspiring read for me quite some time ago. Really looking forward to delve into the Halls later on.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Sat Dec 08, 2018 3:38 pm

December Update

I have the Sixth Hall set up, the predominant feature being a gathering a dwarven soldiers who the party can interact with. Each side represents the opposing factions of the King's Guard and the Faxcrest militia. As an experiment, instead of placing individual conversation triggers in front of the dwarves, I decided to present the player with a menu of a dozen names to choose who to speak with, if any of them. One of the things I enjoyed most when originally designing this level was the showcasing of dwarf naming conventions. This is a culture of miners and craftsmen, with a deep connection to the earth. Their given and surnames, aptly, are meant to reflect such association.

Onward now, to the Seventh Hall!
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby youngneil1 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:13 pm

Looks great, with much love to details. I especially ike that the first names of the dwarves are influenced by their way of living, too (lots of mineral, gem and mining references in there).
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:58 pm

Thanks. I'm hoping to make good progress this month. Then I will be able to start the new year with a focus on the Lower Halls. It's hard to project exactly how long it will take me to finish, but I'd target a release by June or sooner.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion