Hearkenwold Beta

Discuss any Adventure Modules for the IB2 Engine

Re: Hearkenwold Beta

Postby Dorateen » Sat Dec 15, 2018 5:14 pm

I have uploaded a new Hearkenwold video. This time, to demonstrate a first level party grabbing some gear and heading out before talking with any other major NPCs or engaging with a story line. They promptly get into a fight with a large spider. Initially the thief moved forward, trying to sneak around the trees, but ended up drawing the creature's first attack. Stupid halfling. The rest of the party got webbed, meaning the archer and wizard had to do most of the damage until the spider moved into melee range.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g96Pw_ijGwU
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:14 pm

Haha, yes that was funny. I couldn't tell at the end is you did not have enough SP to cast a heal or not, but I'm sure the halfling will learn something valuable from this first encounter...he is a thief, not a fighter.

EDIT: Okay, I see now that you did do a heal, but since you were probably using Win10 GameMode recording (I use it too), it only sees the one main window and not any pop-up windows.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:07 pm

slowdive wrote:
EDIT: Okay, I see now that you did do a heal, but since you were probably using Win10 GameMode recording (I use it too), it only sees the one main window and not any pop-up windows.

That's right, I healed him after battle. The window to select the target of the heal did not show on the video capturing program.

What's funny is, in the middle of the fight, I thought about healing Krondor when he was unconscious, but then realized if I did that, the spider would likely attack him again. So I had the cleric skip his turn, and wait for the spider to move into range of our webbed fighters. It wasn't planned, but that's a nice example of turn-based play and taking combat order into consideration.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:41 pm

Dorateen wrote:
slowdive wrote:

That's right, I healed him after battle. The window to select the target of the heal did not show on the video capturing program.

What's funny is, in the middle of the fight, I thought about healing Krondor when he was unconscious, but then realized if I did that, the spider would likely attack him again. So I had the cleric skip his turn, and wait for the spider to move into range of our webbed fighters. It wasn't planned, but that's a nice example of turn-based play and taking combat order into consideration.

I saw that and was thinking "why doesn't he just heal the thief". Then I realized the same thing. The AI right now would target the nearest PC and that would probably end in the thief going down again and the spider staying out of range to the tanks. Great fun!
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Dorateen » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:11 pm

Making up for lost time, I have the Seventh Hall set up, representing the peak of the Mountain. The décor of this chamber features statuary and tiered balconies, along with artifacts that honor the revered Dwarven Kings. Here is the approach to the present ruler and his Queen.

As I was building up to this point, I realized that this is the highest ranking person in any leadership position the party will have met during the existing campaign. Pherenol Ravencrown of Hearkenwold has not made an appearance yet. There is of course the Duke of Relmfur to cross paths with, and Thespar Wordsmith the head of the church. But, here, the party has a chance to converse with the King of the Dwarves. Quite an auspicious occasion.

Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Fri Dec 21, 2018 12:59 am

Making some great progress there! Looking forward to helping the king if needed.
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby youngneil1 » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:35 pm

I like the direct way of Brazor Hammerfell. Makes no unneccesary fluff, and using his title as an afterthought without any further coloful additions (", King") is all the more impressive.
youngneil1
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:53 pm

Thanks, slowdive and youngneil1.

I still need to update to the newest 135 build of IceBlink. I'm sure that corrected the issue with encounters, as they are almost all triggered after conversations, rather than props. I will keep you posted.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby Dorateen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:59 pm

January Update

Happy New Year from Hearkenwold!

I posted some of the progress I made in the Hamhock adventure back in December, but I wanted to take this opportunity to showcase the use of enemy reinforcements in battle. There is an an encounter set up this way, consisting of some pesky bugbears milling around the fountain. These are considered elite troops, suitable for 5th level characters, having a higher attack bonus, and a 19 AC. At first, our party confronts only three of them.

But at the start of Round 2, while one bugbear has been held, they are still standing. Then two more of the critters appear in the north east section of the battle map.

By the time Round 3 rolls around, two more bugbears have entered the battle, tipping the numerical odds in their favor. The party probably should have been quicker in dispatching these guys.

It's actually a pretty neat way to surprise the player. I look forward to adding more of the new encounter features, including victory conditions or experimenting with hazard tiles.

Just getting back into the building routine after the holidays. I intend to start on the Second Hall now, so there will be plenty of opportunity for fighting.
Dorateen
Backer
Backer

Postby slowdive » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:57 pm

Thanks for sharing the update. This encounter looks like fun and frustration :lol:
Looking forward to seeing more of Karl's new features in action in Hearkenwold. Lots of fun IB in 2019!
slowdive
Site Admin
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to General IB2 Module Discussion